What's new

John Ford at Fox: 21 disc set in December!!! (2007) (1 Viewer)

RobertGr

Second Unit
You are welcome Steve!!!! Fox has been setting the pace now for the other video firms out there, Fox totally rocked with their launch of FOXCLASSICS.COM and the Chans, Ty Power, Michael Shayne and Moto's they are setting the gold standard with their historic FORD AT FOX and I feel they are really listening to fans like you who really were a big part of the Fox Chans finally being released. I feel that fans like yourself can really big a help because of your support of the product that Fox is restoring and releasing. Richard Ashton deserves a lot of the credit as does Steve Feldstein these guys and their team really get it, restore the film, gives us a great collectible package with great supplements and there will be very enthusiastic support from collectors. Bravo to all!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

That's true, I'll actually be hanging on to my MOC and replacing the cover and excellent (as always!) booklet on the new release. I'll slip them both into a single-sized double-keepcase with the MOC as a bonus for the commentary track. Though there won't ever be any need to revisit it for the feature. I'm astonished at the degree of difference in the picture quality, I never would've expected it to be so drastic!

Neal K

Agent

I saw the ad in the NY Times about this, and thought it was a typo (10 films?) thinking they were talking about 3 FULL days of Ford. Well, I'm not generally a TCM basher (although I wish they would showcase new additions to their library more visibly), but this is nothing so much as an advertisement for the new DVD set, without really delivering anything of substance. Those with memories of AMC in its glory days know that THEY once did it right. About 10 years ago one of their Film Preservation festivals had about 3 FULL days of Ford, including all of the surviving silent films (several of which are NOT in the new DVD set), with wonderful piano scores by Philip Carli (it's a shame they are not included in the new releases).

As grateful as I am to Fox for this, and TCM in general, what I'd really like to see is for TCM to air a festival worthy of this DVD release (as long as they are tying in to it, marketing-wise), including the films not included in the sub-sets of the 21 disc set, and for Fox to finish what they've nearly made definitive, by releasing ALL of the silents!

Maybe I'm just grousing because I missed the $95 deal on the set, but what the hey, one can still want more, eh?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Mine just shipped too. I went for premium shipping since I got such a great deal. I should see mine tomorrow or Wednesday.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

Yep I am in the same situation.

Here's hoping that the time difference might have something to do with this

:laugh:

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

I can't believe some people are still waiting, mine shipped on 26/11, but thanks to Amazon's slow international shipping, I probably won't get it for another two weeks.

RobertGr

Second Unit
I think the reviewer in "The Post" doesn't know film history, I thought the WEE WILLIE WINKIE disc contains both the b/w version and a sepia tone version which the film was released in I think in a limited run yet he refers to it as a newly colorized edtion of the film?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

I read that "review", but is sounded more like a rehash of the press release rather than a considered opinion based on actually watching the discs. :-|

RobertGr

Second Unit
Simon, you put it perfectly down in words, I was trying to say the same thing but my mind was kinda of on auto pilot from a full weekend of putting up the ol Christmas Tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles H

Screenwriter
I "picked" FORD AT FOX up yesterday and I was filling out Douglas Pratt's Newsletter poll as to the best produced dvd of the year and I filled out THE JAZZ SINGER. When the front desk called to say that it had come in, I went down to the front desk to "pick" it up and crossed out JAZZ SINGER and put FORD AT FOX in its place. "Pick up" is hardly the right word. This mother is the heaviest dvd set that ever or will ever exist. Its no surprise that some HTFers will have a delay in waiting, and you don't need a Xmas tree this year: Just hang ornaments and lights on it. It is unwieldy and I do wish that Fox had included a seperate booklet detailing the films chronologically one at a time with regard to special features. It's beyond--it's literally stunning. You could murder someone or easily kill yourself. Three points: 1) I don't see FRONTIER MARSHAL included; 2) side B of WEE WILLIE WINKIE is sepia-tinted; 3) I haven't seen but a handful yet but WHEN WILLIE COMES MARCHING HOME is quite the revelatation--I've resisted it all these years as a rip-off of Sturges' HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO (Dan Dailey's father is even played by William Demarest), but it's an absolute charmer and both Ford and Dailey at the top of their respective games. I suppose you could almost classify it as a musical with six musical numbers (three of which are included as deleted scenes). I* am also surprised by how compelling and ambitious the centuries-spanning THE WORLD MOVES ON. It looks great and even survives an extended cameo by the ubiquitous Stepin Fetchit. I recommend that you stack up on some DVD/CD cases so you don't have to keep going back to the mothership to retrieve them.
One disappointment: I wish that Fox had included Ford's notorious SEX HYGIENE (1941) documentary for us really obsessive completists, and my wish that this magnificent set encourages WB to release their remaining Ford titles in a set: PLOUGH AND THE STARS, FLESH, THE FUGITIVE, WAGONMASTER, SEVEN WOMEN, and YOUNG CASSIDY. WAGONMASTER and THE FUGITIVE are my two favorite Fords.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Murnau & Borzage ... very interesting!

A quick scan of IMDB shows that Murnau did not make very many films. How many does Fox control besides Sunrise?

Now Borzage has a much more extensive filmography. During which period did he work for Fox and how many titles do they still control?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thank you Charles; I'm eating all this up, as I sit here drumming my fingers waiting for this gargantuan set to ship. Maybe they have to buy in some specially strengthened boxes at B&N? I do hope...

Sad to hear about 'Frontier Marshall', but I won't let it ruin my day. And can I wholeheartedly second your suggestion for another Warners Ford set - I'd love to see those in one box, necessary clearances permitting.

RobertGr

Second Unit
John

Keep your eye on FOXCLASSICS.com regarding "Frontier Marshall' its exclusion from the BIG BOX was to make room for THE IRON HORSE when it became availaible for the set. I think Fox will clearly make all us collectors quite happy but we do need to keep on eye on the website for the down low!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Thanks Robert.

I had a feeling that this situation would be rectified. It made absolutely no sense for the big spenders to be shorted.

RobertGr

Second Unit
You are welcome! Fox is really doing this right, so they do deserve the kudos we are all giving them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks