What's new

John Carpenter: P&S Fans Are "Idiots" (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I recently interviewed John Carpenter about The Fog DVD, and you can read that article here:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/459/3189680.html
But the interesting tidbits left over from the interview include more of his comments about watching movies in their original aspect ratio. You can find them linked from the main article or go directly here:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/459/3189552.html
He's a major widescreen proponent. Here's what he had to say about open-matte presentations as a compromise to pan and scan:
"Well, anything is better than pan and scan -- anything. But if I had my druthers, I'd give the option. Just put an extra disc in there and give the original matted version of whatever it is -- whether it's widescreen or whatever -- and then give the idiots their pan-and-scan version."
He also talked about upcoming projects, his favorite DVDs, recording commentaries and more.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
And since Mr. Carpenter didn't personally post
those comments in this forum, I'll just keep
my mouth shut and add a big fat smile to my face.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
this is also a major part of the Fog dvd docu when he talks about the anamorphic widescreen version
;)
thanks again for the link

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Bring on the Escape From New York: Special Edition says I!!! :D
Loved Carpenter's movies all my life. I hope Universal give The Thing a 2 disc edition with a new 2.40:1 anamorphic transfer and DTS. Wouldn't mind all the deleted scenes either... in 2.40 anamorphic, of course, brothers! ;)
Go here http://www.outpost31.com/index2.html for all your MacReady info!
Gordo

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
In my movie, the Trade Center was never hit," he said. " . . . Just like everybody else, it was pretty horrible, I thought, what happened. But this is a movie that was made in 1980 -- come on."
Anyone know if they are going to re-release Independance Day, they blow up the white house! That must be removed! hehe

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
And since Mr. Carpenter didn't personally post those comments in this forum, I'll just keep my mouth shut and add a big fat smile to my face
Uh, would his comments break any of the forum rules, thereby terminating his membership under the more strongly enforced forum rules? :D
I love it that Mr. Carpenter had the balls the say what he truly feels in a public forum that may be read by those same "idiots". Too bad the studio execs don't all share his opinion!

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
This is just another one of the many reasons why, to put it succinctly, John Carpenter rules!

Now I have to track down the R2 disc of They Live, with the Carpenter/Roddy Piper commentary. His commentaries are the best out there.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I agree. I rented the Big trouble In Little China dvd. I listened the commentary.. It was great fun to hear them both talk about the movie and other stuff.

JACOB

todd s

Senior HTF Member
You know we just had Michael Mann diss Widescreen. So I would like to see a debate between Michael Mann and John Carpenter. ;) I can see it now:
Michael M.---"I think Full screen is much better. It what people expect when watching tv."
John C.---"You see if this debate was in widescreen you could see me flipping you the bird. But, since it is in P&S it is cut out and the audience is loosing out at my response to you."

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Michael Mann wasn't dissing widescreen in general...just in television programs. His main beef was that shows were being shown in widescreen, but not being framed for widescreen. He's not pro-p&s by any means.

As for John Carpenter calling p&s fans "idiots," what does that say for directors that allow their films to be released on video in p&s?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
As for John Carpenter calling p&s fans "idiots," what does that say for directors that allow their films to be released on video in p&s?
Well, I don't think that makes them hypocrites if that's what you're implying. Not every director has the clout to dictate how his films will be presented on home video. Fortunately, DVD has given everyone the opportunity to have it their way. Let's hope it stays that way! :)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Absolutely. If anything, Mann is a huge proponent of widescreen. He's a master at framing a scope screen. Ever see one of his films in P&S? Oh, GOD!!! It's frightening. Really ruins it.

I can't think of any film directors who would be pro P&S.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was on the Fence about Purchasing "The Fog" but Carpenter just got my $$$ with those comments. Way to go John !

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I can't think of any film directors who would be pro P&S.
William Friedkin for one. He always said that the theater is the theater and television is television, and that the black bars serve as a distraction when watching the film on the boob tube.
He actively blocked Paramount Home Video from releasing a letterboxed version of Jade on laserdisc.
-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks