What's new

Jethro Tull DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody given this DVD a play yet? I just picked it up at Best Buy this weekend but have not yet had the chance to give it a spin....

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I'll give it 3 out of 5 stars. Music is pretty good although I found Ian Anderson's vocals have mellowed quite a bit over the years. It has a couple of songs with the original line up which are also interesting in a nostalgic sort of way :)
The neon "Gyros" sign in the background though did put things in perspective for me :)
I long for a concert from filmed around 1970 or so, but I don't think it's going to happen :frowning:

Coressel

Supporting Actor
So this is just a video of a recent concert performance? I was under the impression that it was a Jethro Tull retrospective disc... I guess not, eh wot?

Are there any interview segments or other interesting bits? I have to admit that although I'm mostly a classical music and film score person, I am a huge JT fan...

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I was disappointed with was the lack of any type of 5.1 channel sound (it's plain Dolby surround). It's not bad, mind you, but after reading the liner notes from Ian Anderson explaining how he wanted to give fans an accurate representation of a current Tull concert, they should have used state of the art sound recording. Also, the concert footage is broken up by interviews between songs (which I dislike; please make the interviews extras). All in all, though, a good disc for Tull fans. I too would like some kind of vintage concert footage released (there's plenty of it), and from what Ian says in the booklet, it sounds like some kind of archival DVD may be on the way.

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that interviews should be a separate feature. I would also prefer a straight concert without the "cool" video crap, just show the performance, ala Springsteen and Frampton.
I didn't find some of the interviews that interesting, but maybe thats because I could care less what Tull members since 1990 have to say :)

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback, I'll spin this DVD this weekend. I'm very unhappy that this isn't a 5.1 recording, I wish they would indicate that clearly on the package, since it was a 2001 concert I figued that it would be on there for sure! That is really why I like DTS better, there are no 2.0 or 4.0 versions of DTS like there are with DD.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
btw the tull dvd was recorded using a 24 bit hard disc system so it was state of the art.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I watched it last night and it was very good. The sound I would only say was "good" but overall I'm glad I bought the disk. Right after we finished off Tull we popped in the Who Live from king albert hall, which was in 5.1 DTS and the difference was pronouced. Why oh why if they wanted to be state of the art didn't they do that disk 5.1 DTS!

Stefan A

Second Unit
Actually, I think the sound on this disc is pretty good. I only listen to music in stereo anyway, so lack of 5.1 doesn't bother me. I am a new fan (about 1 year), but I too would like to see a dvd from 70's concerts. His voice is just so different now. I think he is still musical, but just doesn't have the flexibility to sing like he used to. Finally, I also wish they would have made the interviews seperate and just recording the concert without the extra "video stuff."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks