What's new

Jerry Van Dyke has passed 01-06-18 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I had a feeling this news would be coming. He recurred on ABC's "The Middle" as the father of Patricia Heaton's character, but he hasn't made an appearance since his car accident two years ago.

There's a nice symmetry, though, that he started his career working with his brother and ended his career working with his brother, since Dick Van Dyke guest starred on his last "Middle" episode.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is a picture from his last TV appearance with Dick on The Middle.

nintchdbpict000376506899.jpg

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IIRC, he turned down the role of Gilligan to do My Mother The Car.

Honestly, I think that turned out to be bad in the short term, but good for his career in the long run when you consider how Bob Denver was typecast for the rest of his career.

Apparently, one could recover from My Mother The Car. But once you're Gilligan, you're Gilligan forever.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Was it the same character he played on TAGS? The guy who wasn’t good at anything? Well, now that I think about it, probably not, since that character was pretty bad at playing guitar.
Which was an odd characterization, given that Jerry seemingly always appeared with a string instrument of some sort in the Television and Cinematic appearances of his youth. They were pretty much a package deal! :)

I didn't realize that Jerry had been in a car accident awhile back. Could it be that Adam was thinking of older brother Dick's auto accident that I do recall reading about a few years back? I did rather enjoy their joint appearance on THE MIDDLE episode, as I do that Family Sitcom, in general!

Jerry Van Dyke's passing is very sad news, indeed! However, I can't help but think of the joy he brought to many with his endearing style of comedy, and that does bring a smile! I also can't help but picture Jerry with Banjo in hand, pleading his case at the Pearly Gates in his inimitable stuttery and clumsy, but endearing style! May he Rest in Peace!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks