What's new

JBLs new vs old (1 Viewer)

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
Do the new bookshelf speakers like studio,E series etc sound better than the classic JBLs?

I have model LX44, 3 way(1",5",8").If i change to the new two way bookshelves like s series is it an upgrade or downgrade?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
I think it depends. If you are happy with what you have right now you might not like the newer models.

They will sound different and, from a purist's point of view, probably better. Speaker technology and design has steadily progressed and newer, not just JBL but all manufacturers, have flatter and smoother frequency and phase response.

I used to own several JBL models back in the 70's and although they provided me with countless hours of listenning pleasure, I don't think they would satisfy me now. Having said all that some people are used to the "old sound" and will not be happy with newer models. You should definetely go out and listen to the new offerings and decide.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
I know i wont get that tight bass with smaller bookshelves of today but the speakers do not seem to deliver the trebles as smooth and crisp as the newer models(and the JBLs i hear in movie theaters:) )Their are a bit harsh on digital sound.On analog they are fine.

I always tend to compare speakers to the sound i use to hear in the cinemas and nothing seems to be as good as that.Anything wrong with that?:)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I have JBL's all around. All bought within the last few months. Personally, I do not think you will see newer necessarily being an "upgrade." Maybe different. Speakers that sounded good 10 years ago still sound good today. If the surrounds have not rotted or suffered some damage, I bet they sound great.

Receivers may change in technology and require an upgrade sooner-again this is not necessarily sound quality but precessing technology.

I use S38II's for mains, EC35 center, N26 surrounds and N24 for surround backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks