What's new

JBL NSP1 vs. Klipsch Quintet (1 Viewer)

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
I went down to JandR last weekend to listen to speakers. I've been pretty set on the JBL's as they're so often recomended in the Forum.

I also listened to the Klipsch Quintets. I liked the crisp highs. however after coming home and searching on them, I read some say the high's sound good in the showroom, but too bright when you get them home.

So, J and R had them for about $320, slightly more than the JBL's. I am fond of their small size, as they are more subtle then the bulkier JBL's (particularly the center). But I don't want to give up sound quality for asthetics.

All things being equal, I'd probably pony up the extra few bucks for the small size of the Klipsh. But if the sound quality is not equal, well...

Can anyone offer their comments on choosing between these two?

Thanks.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I'd say it's really a matter of taste. I don't like bright tweeters in conventional speakers, but I've liked some of the horn speakers I've heard, and those are certainly bright, so... I'd say it's really a matter of taste. :) The NSP1 package gets lots of good press here, I haven't seen that much discussion of the Klipsch package. Of course, that means very little.
Will J&R allow an in-home audition, or a trial period?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
people spin their preferences in a variety of ways. some klipsch detractors say the sound is bright. proponents say its accurate. in the end the speaker needs to interact with your listening environment, and often one can mitigate to varying degrees a speakers 'brightness' and other aspects by placement, carpeting, curtains...sound absorption devices...all that. If those are the two speakers you've narrowed your choices down to you've done well. pay little attention to other's own assessments and focus more strongly upon your own likes and as Saurav says, see if you can arrange for an in home tryout.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Don't make the same mistake I did and make a purchase simply based on recommendation. I bought the new NSP1-II set based on the rave reviews people here on HTF were giving it, only to be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, but they weren't as good as people made them out to be... at least in my own opinion. They are mediocre speakers.... but hey, you get what you pay for. My advice would be to go out there and personally listen to all these sets and buy which one suits your own tastes.

Nate Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm no expert but I have the quintets and am happy with them. I doubt there is really anything I can tell you other than what I've just said but they are definitly a good "entry level" speaker, IMO. Much better than the bo$e acoustimess 5 system my parents have upstairs :) But hey, it was free for them so they weren't gonna pass it up.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
and don't forget you've got July 4th sales coming up! check your sunday papers and while you're at it, call your local whatever to inquire whether they'll be discounting speakers during this time more than usual. you may be able to snag one a couple of days ahead of the sale. also you may find demos (hopefully without the veneer ripped off!) allowing you to trade up so to speak and still stay within your budget.
Mike and others are quite correct. Take recommendations with a giant grain of salt. Everyone's tastes are different and so is everyone's room. And keep in mind sometimes peoples negative comments have to do with complex issues. One can do wonders with inexpensive speakers after they get them home by working on the room and how they're placed, carpeting...the list goes on. Takes time, but you might, after you're finished, have people coming in and saying, 'how come your (insert speaker name here) sounds better than mine?'

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Sound & Vision (FEB/MAR 1999) wrote the following about the Klipsch Quintet
experienced Speaker Reviewers said said:
Obviously, some like peaky SPL characteristics vs. flat, Studio Monitor SPL frequency response, so, ... I'll repeat what everyone recommended, Audition, audition, audition the HT speakers on your list and choose what sounds good to you!
Last thought, a couple of the emails that I received about their JBL NSP1s purchases, told me they were replacing their Klipsch Quintet.
FYI: For more JBL NSP1 INFO and linked Reviews, see my webpage Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!
**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the helpful replies. And Phil, not sure a reply could be more helpful than the one you posted... graphs, quotes... you must have written a mean term paper in school...

Certainly answers that question.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I think Phil must have this stuff scripted on a Linux box....Search on him and you'll find he is always far and away the most informative poster.

I just don't have the patience to post all that stuff and my hat's off to him for being so complete.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
It took Phil 7 posts to plug the JBLs! He must be slipping...

Seriously, get 2 pair of the JBL S26 bookshelf speakers from JandR for $159 per pair, plus free shipping. Best online speaker deal anywhere at the moment. Get the s-center later if you can't afford it now (it is cheaper in places other than JandR BTW). These are at least 2 notches above the other 2 alternatives. I used to own the NSP1's and was underwelmed. The Quintets I haven't heard but they have a very mixed reputation. See the Cnet review on those for example. If size is a huge factor then get the NSP1's I guess.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
It took Phil 7 posts to plug the JBLs! He must be slipping...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I second EricHaas JandR JBL S26 recommendation and agree 100%, since I own...
1) JBL NSP1 - going up to my vacation house.
2) JBL S26 (x4) and JBL S-Center
Either way, excellent performance vs. $$$!
Phil

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Im a KLIPSCH freek, but I would say go with the JBL. I feel they are better. Klipsch REF. is a whole other story!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks