Klipsch Quintet's vs JBL NSP1 II

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by todd<>C, Jan 12, 2004.

1. todd<>C

todd<>C Extra

Which would you recommend as far as overall quality of product? Can get the Klipsch for 399 and JBLs for 215. I know speakers should depend on the users ear, but I am new to this and wanted some outside opinions. I have listend to the Klipsch and was liked them but I also liked the JBLs.

2. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

The Quintets are not able to extend anywhere near deep enough IMO. I would bet their low frequency cutoff is around 180 hz, where as the JBL's are I believe around 90 hz which makes for a much smoother transition between speakers and sub. For the money the JBL's are much better speakers. For the same money, it's a safe bet that the JBL's are much better speakers actually. To each his own though. I listened to both, and I owned the NSP package. CAn't beat it for the price. This is all my opinion of course as I'm sure you'll get plenty of Quintet lovers as well. You can get the NSP set from bhphotovideo.com for $200 shipped when they are in stock. Just an FYI.

Jason

3. todd<>C

todd<>C Extra

Jason, thanks for your response. What sub did you get to go with the JBLs?

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I'm a huge Klipsch fan but I've had listened to both speakers systems at home and the JBL are easily the better system in every regard. I would only go with the Quintet's if you're severely limited on space.

You can see some FR data on both systems from Sound & Vision over at Phil I.'s website:

http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/Misc_HT_Speakers.html

5. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Really any subwoofer will do well. Are you on a tight budget? You may consider the 10" Dayton from partsexpress. It's $125 plus shipping I think usually. I bought it just to try it while I was building a Titanic based subwoofer, and it does a very fine job for such a small subwoofer. I'm thinking about selling mine that is a few months old as I just bought it to get me by for the few weeks I was building my new one. Later.

Jason

6. Will Zog

Will Zog Extra

Todd, my 2cents, have a look at the HKTS 12 setup as well - specs are similar to the JBL (both are Harmon companies) and includes a sub, too, for $300 at J&R. Great CNET review prompted me to give this a try-- I only set these up last night, but I like what I hear so far, big sound in a big room. And my wife even likes the look of the speakers!

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Yes the JBL's do have some better freq. responce but I like my Quintets just fine.. between them and the JBL I really didn't even notice any difference, except for the fact that the clip has it's own "different" sound that makes it somewhat unique.

Either way, both good speakers, but if your on that tight budget the JBL's would probably be a better deal.