What's new

JBL NSP1 vs Energy Encore (1 Viewer)

I have about $1000 to spend on 5.1 surround speakers. They must be wall mounted, small. I pretty much have my mind set on Energy Encore's, $995 online.

But I keep reading great reviews on the JBL NSP1's. I havent heard them yet, but do they really compare to a speaker like the Encore?

Link

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I never auditioned the Encores, but I did read their http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/SoundAndVision/FrameSet/0,1670,_sl_SoundAndVision_sl_Article_sl_0_cm_1653_cm_101_3646_1_cm_00,00.html
Frequency Response
ENCORE 2 front left/right.... 106 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.9 dB
ENCORE 1 center.............. 112 Hz to 20 kHz ±4.1 dB
ENCORE 2 surround............ 106 Hz to 20 kHz ±4.1 dB
JBL NSP1
28988667VfUfHmPVHw_ph.jpg

Frequency Response
N-24 front left/right.... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
N-Center................. 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
N-24 surround............ 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
- Speaker tests performed by Tom Nousaine - using his standard process.
If you want to compare more S&V frequency speaker charts, see my website Are Bose Speakers Over Priced vs. Performance??
If you want to spend $1,000, I recommend auditioning the JBL S-Series.
For more JBL S & N-Series INFO & Reviews w/links, see my website Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!
NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Phil,

Do you work for JBL :)hehe

I've seen many of your replies on many JBL posts and you have stirred my couriousity. I'm a newbie to this 'hobby' so I am having trouble judging speaker quality and relying somewhat on other opinions, and the old saying that you get what you pay for. I've also heard speakers with 'better specs' not sound as good as 'lower spec' speakers, at least to my novice ear.

If all that makes any sense, I sure would like to get lots of other opinions who have listened to the 'high' end sats, compared to the NSP1. I do appreciate your enthusiasm.

Link

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
. . . heard speakers with 'better specs' not sound as good as 'lower spec' speakers . .
Keep in mind, MFG can spec their speakers to their hearts content, but how does it perform in a repeatable, standard speaker test - like S&V process by Tom Nousaine. JBL N & S-Series have proven Harman's Listening Lab Design Process: by using not just measurements but also rigorously controlled listening tests with both audiophiles and civilian listeners, engineers can better correlate measured performance with subjective sound quality and push their designs in directions that listeners repeatedly prefer.

Just a thought,

Phil

Phil,

Since I was going to spend a grand, is the s series worth the price/performance difference?? Does the s36 wall mount nicely. Does it swivel?

Link

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
. . . s series worth the price/performance difference??
Mark Knight seems to think so and I can't argue with his JBL S36 / S-Center Speaker Review. Prior to the JBLs, his quest for Music / HT SPL bliss led him to acquire the following 3 sets of speakers, which he kindly reviewed also @ his website . . .
1) Energy TAKE 5 Satellite Speaker System
2) Klipsch Synergy Quintet Satellite Speaker System
3) Atlantic Technology 270 THX Speaker System
- so, I'm sure he knows what he is talking about.
Anyway, go to his website, Digital Vortex, . . . read over his JBL S36 (x6) / S-Center review, . . . check out what he wrote about the above 3 HT sets if you want, . . . then email him with your specific S36 questions - I'm sure he would gladly answer them for you!!! :)
He's also an HT Forum member, and he might join in this thread discussion if he's not too busy.
Hope this helps,
Phil

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Since you are willing to spend a grand on this I would go out and see if any local dealers have them. Don't worry about what you read on the internet or hear from other people too much. Go check these out for yourself. Whichever sounds better to you, go with. You are going to be listening to these for years to come, not anyone giving you advice. If any place near you has them then go out and audition them. That would be my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks