JBL NSP1 vs Energy Encore

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Linkous, Jan 10, 2002.

1. James Linkous

I have about $1000 to spend on 5.1 surround speakers. They must be wall mounted, small. I pretty much have my mind set on Energy Encore's, $995 online.

But I keep reading great reviews on the JBL NSP1's. I havent heard them yet, but do they really compare to a speaker like the Encore?

Link

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I never auditioned the Encores, but I did read their http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/SoundAndVision/FrameSet/0,1670,_sl_SoundAndVision_sl_Article_sl_0_cm_1653_cm_101_3646_1_cm_00,00.html
    Frequency Response
    ENCORE 2 front left/right.... 106 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.9 dB
    ENCORE 1 center.............. 112 Hz to 20 kHz ±4.1 dB
    ENCORE 2 surround............ 106 Hz to 20 kHz ±4.1 dB
    JBL NSP1
    [​IMG]
    Frequency Response
    N-24 front left/right.... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
    N-Center................. 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
    N-24 surround............ 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
    - Speaker tests performed by Tom Nousaine - using his standard process.
    If you want to compare more S&V frequency speaker charts, see my website Are Bose Speakers Over Priced vs. Performance??
    If you want to spend $1,000, I recommend auditioning the JBL S-Series.
    For more JBL S & N-Series INFO & Reviews w/links, see my website Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!
    NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
    Phil

3. James Linkous

Phil,

Do you work for JBL :)hehe

I've seen many of your replies on many JBL posts and you have stirred my couriousity. I'm a newbie to this 'hobby' so I am having trouble judging speaker quality and relying somewhat on other opinions, and the old saying that you get what you pay for. I've also heard speakers with 'better specs' not sound as good as 'lower spec' speakers, at least to my novice ear.

If all that makes any sense, I sure would like to get lots of other opinions who have listened to the 'high' end sats, compared to the NSP1. I do appreciate your enthusiasm.

Link

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

5. Phil Iturralde

6. James Linkous

Phil,

Since I was going to spend a grand, is the s series worth the price/performance difference?? Does the s36 wall mount nicely. Does it swivel?

Link

7. Phil Iturralde

8. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Since you are willing to spend a grand on this I would go out and see if any local dealers have them. Don't worry about what you read on the internet or hear from other people too much. Go check these out for yourself. Whichever sounds better to you, go with. You are going to be listening to these for years to come, not anyone giving you advice. If any place near you has them then go out and audition them. That would be my advice.