What's new

JBL Northridge - In search of best prices... (1 Viewer)

Brian David

Auditioning
Greetings,
I'm trying to budget out a new HT system (75%HT,25%Music) for around $1000 (give or take $100). This would have to include the receiver, 5.1 speakers, and sub.
After much searching I have narrowed it to the JBL Northridge series for their value and performance from what I have read on the forum. In my attempt to keep the costs as low as possible, I have been searching the web trying to find the lowest prices available for the following and was wondering if someone could lead me in a better direction.

Mains - JBL N38II
Center - JBL N-CenterII
Surrounds - JBL N28II
Sub - ? (Maybe a Sony SA-WM40 w/polyfill mod)

Receiver - Harman Kardon AVR-225 (?)...would this adequately power the JBLs?

- I had considered the lowest priced Paradigm system (Blockbuster 70/90), but the JBLs seemed to offer more speaker for the money...

Best Buy offered the above (minus the HK AVR) for $850 (free shipping)... but this leaves me little room for a receiver and sub, the HK running around $350 (JandR) and the Sony sub at $150 (Crutchfield).

I'm really trying to make this system work, or any for that matter, so I am all ears to your suggestions.

Thanks for helping,
Brian

Brian David

Auditioning
Has anyone purchased these speakers recently?
If so, what are you driving them with...?

I could really use the help finding them at a cheaper price than at the megastores (BB,CC) !!!

Or if someone knows a better setup (receiver,5 speakers, sub) for around a $1000, please let me know.

Thanks, Brian

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator
Onecall.com cant get you the whole speaker setup for about 700 shipped to your door....plus they are auth retailer.
I was in exactly the same scenario about 3 weeks ago and opted for the NSP series. I listened to the N38s but I thought that the N28 mains with NSP surrounds and modded Sony sub was my best option. In my situation, it was. It sounds awesome and I kept the prices in my budget. If you need any additional help, let me know.
Good Luck:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian David

Auditioning
Richard,
Just a few questions
-What did you pay for your NSP setup?
-Do you have the NSP IIs?
-What are you using as your receiver?
-And, where/how much did you get your Sony SA-WM40?

Thanks for the reply, Brian

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
FYI: A quick Yahoo Shopping search, ... you can get the JBL NSP1-II package (MSRP $549.00) for ...

$236.99 + S/H @ SimplyCheap.com, 5-Star Top Service Yahoo Shopping Internet Store.

----

... and the Sony SA-WM40 - 120w 12" powered-sub for ...

$124.42 + S/H @ TVBuys.com, another 5-Star Top Service Yahoo Shopping Internet Store.

$236.99 JBL NSP1-II
$124.42 Sony SA-WM40
======
$361.41 + S/H TOTAL - if you choose to buy via on-line, make sure you compare the Total price - including the S/H cost. Some Internet stores will list the item's a little higher, but when you take into consideration the S/H cost, the overall Total $$$ is lower.

If you want the JBL & Sony Warranty, it's also up to you to verify the Internet store is an Authorized JBL/Sony Merchant.

Phil

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I have the N-Center II, N26 IIs for my mains, 4 N24 IIs for surrounds, and the Sony SA-WM40 (non-modded...for now)for the sub. You can't go wrong with the the NSP1 II set and the Sony. I sorta feel like getting the N26 IIs was a bit overkill for my needs, as the N24 IIs would have done fine, but I'm happy to have them.

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator
I got the original NSP package direct from Harman Audio on Ebay. 212 shipped.
Sony sub on clearance from Sears (no longer avail according to their website) for 129.
I bought a Sony STR-DA2ES receiver from Sammans.com for 410 shipped.
Total 751

Phils prices seem right in the same ballpark so that seems like the going price.

If you really want to splurge you can go with the Sony DA4ES from Sammans for 590 shipped. That is a BIG step up from the DA2ES and allows for 7.1 if you ever decide to go with it. I would have bought it but the shelf space was not big enough (the 4ES is a MONSTER). The reason for my choice was because I like the "tweakabilty" of the ES receivers. Basically you can fine tune it to death based on the speakers you are using and room configuration.

Because space was an issue for me, I went with the smaller setup but it sounds awesome. I upgraded from a Kenwood HTIB which was already a good system (in my opinion)

Brian David

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies,
At Onecall.com I found the following setup and was wondering if it was worth the price or if I should just go with the cheaper NSP1IIs.

Mains JBL N38II (2) - $280
Surround JBL N28II (2) - $200
Center JBL NCenterII - $100
HK AVR-225 - $350

Total - $930
+ Sony SA-WM40 - $124.42 + S/H @ TVBuys.com (thanks Phil)
Bringing my grand total to around $1100...

Are the N38 towers and the N28 bookshelves really going to be a dramatic increase in sound and overall presence, if not, I would definently consider the NSP package - it being so much cheaper.
Thanks again for your input, Brian

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion, no
I think the N28s all around will really sound well. I was pleasantly surprised on how good the 28s sound. Very full and great range. Even the 26s all around would sound great.

SteveADavis

Agent
Just bought basically the same setup, you can do it cheap.

HK AVR 325 refurb $435 includeing S&H from onecall.com
JBL S312 $375 in S&H from ebay
JBL NSP1 $202 inc. S&H from ebay, one speaker was broken when it arrived so they upgraded me to the NSP1II All in all I spent less than $900 for in my opinion a pretty good setup. Keep checking ebay, harman sells direct on there and you can get really good prices. Good luck.

Brian David

Auditioning
Thanks everyone...

Steve,
I have heard that combining the Studio series and the Northridge speakers isn't a good idea, this becuase of the different size/make of the tweeters. Have you experienced a noticable difference from your mains and the N24s?

Richard,
By having the same speakers all the way around (N28IIs in this case)is there a difference in imaging, etc...?

Phil,
I have scoured TVbuys.com for the Sony SA-WM40, but have had no luck, is there somewhere I am not looking or could you provide a direct link?

I really appreciate all the feedback,
Brian

SteveADavis

Agent
I'm far from an audiophile and the system hasn't been properly calibrated, but from my experience so far it sounds great. Sound moves very smoothly across the L/C/R. To a reasonably untrained ear, I love it, no complaints. I watched the patriot yesterday and at the end of the movie where the sword swings around sounds very fluid. I have series II northridge, I don't know if JBL made any significant improvements in the series II's. Either way, I'm satisfied.

SteveADavis

Agent
I'm far from an audiophile and the system hasn't been properly calibrated, but from my experience so far it sounds great. Sound moves very smoothly across the L/C/R. To a reasonably untrained ear, I love it, no complaints. I watched the patriot yesterday and at the end of the movie where the sword swings around sounds very fluid. I have series II northridge, I don't know if JBL made any significant improvements in the series II's. Either way, I'm satisfied.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
One reason why I bought another set of JBL S26s for my REAR Center Channel location, (JBL S26 = Fronts & Surrounds / Yamaha RX-V1300) to maintain that excellent seamless precise imaging. If it's good enough for the DD/DTS-5.1 / 6.1 Mixing Engineer, ... it's good enough for me! ;)

FYI: Read my Yamaha RX-V1300 'Epinions Review' with my JBL S26 (x6), JBL S-Center and SVS 25-31PCi by clicking HERE!

Phil

Jim Lyman

Agent
Brian, I have a pair of N38 about a year and half old. Used them for 3 months. I'll sell them cheap, I went with the S-series.
Thanks, Jim

Brian David

Auditioning
Thanks again for all the replies,
You have all been a great help in my decision making process.

Jim,
I appreciate the offer, but I think I am going to go with the Studio series, S26II as mains and surrounds, along with the S-Center, along with the Sony SA-WM40 sub.

Thanks again,
Brian

p.s. I'm hoping to power these with the HK AVR-225, but have considered at one time the Pioneer 912K, does anyone have any input as to a good

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend adding $60 to that $350 and going for the Sony STRDA2ES for 410 shipped from Sammans. Awesome deal and awesome receiver. It really lends itself to fine tuning. I like H/K stuff, and I was going to opt for it, but Im glad I chose the Sony over it.

Good Luck with whatever you do.

Marcel_V

Stunt Coordinator
Just to toss in my experiance, I went with this northridge setup:

N38II mains - 270 shipped jandr.com
NSPII package - 240 shipped from some random pricegrabber.com site

HK 325 refurbished receiver onecall.com for 399. It has worked great and doesnt have any blemishes or anything of that sort. the 50x7 is plenty for my system, even driving the towers. I considered the Pioneer 912K as well, but I like having 7.1 instead of 6.1, and also the HK has much better THD levels, and it has a great crossover system that lets me cross the speakers at their rated 80hz which I think the pioneer is restricted to 100hz (I could be wrong). Also I can crossover the towers and different levels depending on if I use a sub or not, and for what kind of source I am using (cd, dvd, etc)

It gives me the N24's for surrounds and the N center, and the N38's round out a nice 7.1 setup. Personally, I dont think N26s or N28s are needed for surrounds, unless you plan on having a theatre setup in a big room and need extra wattage. The bass will be well handled by your sub or towers. Even if you decide to go only 5.1, the NSP package is still cheaper than Ncenters and N24s purchased in individual pairs, and you get an extra pair of speakers for some day if you go 7.1.

I actually dont use a sub right now because my room frankly isnt big enough for it (12x15), the towers do a nice job down to 30Hz. I tried the sony wma-40 sub and wasnt really impressed, and i did use the polyfill mod. It just didnt seem worth the 150 considering i plan on getting a SVS in a couple of years when I buy a house. Granted, if you can ~only~ spend under 200 for the sub and dont want to save up for a better one, then the sony will do a nice job and it is highly recommended.

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
Thought I would pass this on...

Best Buy has the white N26AW II on sale for $99 a pair.

Not sure how long this deal will last but thought it would be helpful to some of you out there!

Matthew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks