What's new

Jay &Silent Bob - specs + CLERKS: SE (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
Is it really worth waiting more than 2 years for a disc? Think of all that could happen in that time to delay this release or keep it from coming out at all. Many people said, oh, I'm not buying X-Men when it comes out, there will be an S.E. soon. That "soon" stretched into several years, until after the next X-Men film comes out, if at all.
I'm pretty sure that there won't be another edition of X-Men. The current one is the SE. It just isn't titled as that on the case.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Rob-

Yeah, but when it was announced (over a year ago), many people were disappointed because there had been rumors that it would be a two-disc set with a director's cut of the film incorporating over 20 minutes of deleted footage. That turned out not to be the case, and the extras package was small but decent. There wasn't even a commentary.

This lead many to think that a newer edition was right around the corner, and many said theywouldn't be buying it. I don't know if everyone stuck to their guns when the announcement came that, if there ever is an SE, it will be at least another two-three years.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
and hopefully Clerks SE will finally be 16x9
Call me crazy, but I would actually like to see them put a 4x3 original version on DVD sometime. Despite the comments made by Kevin and DP Dave on the Clerks LD/DVD, I don't think the film looks better in 1.85. In fact, some shots (like Dante in frame with the guy climbing up to the Quick Stop roof) don't work cropped for 1.85.

If you compare the VHS edition of Clerks to the DVD, you can plainly see that the image must be shifted up and down from scene to scene to create a pleasing frame in 1.85, indicating to me that cropping the film wasn't planned from the get-go and was determined after the film was sold.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't be so quick to make the leap from cropping boundaries change to cropping was never intended. The Se7en DVD has a nice feature showing the editing process at work, which included shifting shots up or down on the entirety of the exposed negative...

I have no idea what Clerks was shot on whether it differs from Se7en, but I would like to hear more support to the assertion that Smith did framed his shots for 4:3 before I accept it. I don't think the evidence offered is conclusive.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well DVD Box-Office have it for $23.30 USD including postage. I don't know for sure that it would apply to the U.S. instead of Britain. It might not be the fastest delivery but it's cheaper.
I can't see an anamorphic image of the movie making that much difference. It's a slightly grainy B&W film and it looked fine zoomed on my W/S TV.
Also the commentary seemed really cool and I thought it did have all the main actors. If they do a new one I hope they keep the old one.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Call me crazy, but I would actually like to see them put a 4x3 original version on DVD sometime. Despite the comments made by Kevin and DP Dave on the Clerks LD/DVD, I don't think the film looks better in 1.85. In fact, some shots (like Dante in frame with the guy climbing up to the Quick Stop roof) don't work cropped for 1.85.

If you compare the VHS edition of Clerks to the DVD, you can plainly see that the image must be shifted up and down from scene to scene to create a pleasing frame in 1.85, indicating to me that cropping the film wasn't planned from the get-go and was determined after the film was sold.
Yeah, I watched Clerks a million times on video before I got the DVD and I noticed a big difference in framing. For example, when Caitlin says "My legs are still shaking.", you can see them in the full frame version but are cropped off for the most part on the matted version.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Question: Where is the mega-documentary on Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back? Didn't we hear that they were filming all sorts of stuff for the DVD while they were on the set, specifically for a great documentary? I see that there are "behind the scenes featurettes," but that sounds more like brief interludes. Anyone know anything about this?

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
"We haven't even had time to load all the material into the Avid (let alone cut it together), and Dimension wanted to lock up the DVD release of "Jay and Silent Bob" by this week (i.e. - any material on the DVD had to be in by Wednesday). It was either do two editions of "Jay and Bob" (one stripped down and one SE, as Col/Tristar did with "Dogma"), or do one edition of "Jay and Silent Bob" and stick the massive documentary on the already-in-the-pipeline "Clerks" re-release. The latter made more sense, as most people want "Jay and Silent Bob" and couldn't give two shits about a documentary."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks