What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Jaws Being Released In Theaters in 3D…3D Blu ray coming? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The BFI IMAX in London has a 4K digital projector and a 35mm film projector. How would that alter the film?
I didn’t say it would alter the film. I Just said that it wasn’t filmed with IMAX cameras. Some cinephiles may object to that.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
“JAWS redefined what it means to be a summer-event blockbuster and now for the first time ever audiences can experience Steven Spielberg’s motion picture classic in 3D,” said Travis Reid, CEO & President, Cinema, RealD. “Everything that made JAWS a sensation and a fan favorite for nearly 50 years will be enhanced in RealD 3D, allowing fans a completely new opportunity to immerse themselves in one of the greatest summer suspense thrillers of all time.” JAWS what shot on ARRIFLEX 35-III and Panavision Panaflex, paired with Panavision C-Series Lenses.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have nothing against what they are doing for JAWS.

I was very impressed with THE WIZARD OF OZ in 3D. TITANIC is one of the best upconversions ever released, though James Cameron put a lot of work into it.

If done right, JAWS could look pretty damn good in 3D.

I would suspect that perhaps a 3D Blu-ray will be released, but please, don't anyone suggest this is a resurgence of a format that is mostly dead outside of a few spattering of releases.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
How so if the original is still available unaltered?
My comment has nothing to do with the original still being available. The question is whether a remixed, 3D version of Jaws is still Jaws. It's more of a philosophical debate.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Why would they? It’d just be Jaws on a big screen.
Because cinephiles are a quirky bunch sometimes. Someone asked in one of these Jaws threads whether Jaws was filmed with IMAX cameras. Also Not sure if it has been enhanced for IMAX screens as other films have been.

Last edited:

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
I’ve never heard of people complaining about regular films being shown on IMAX screens, which has been going on for a few years now. Ah well…

I quite like it when films are shot for 3D. For a brief while this third wave was being seen as an opportunity rather than a gimmick. You had directors like Cameron, Scorsese, Wenders, and Herzog using the medium in interesting ways. But rather than keep it as a special event, the industry saw it as a way to up ticket prices and just rush converted every upcoming 2D film. People soon got sick of it and it’s all but dead now.

Avatar 2 might renew some interest, but running old classics through a conversion programme won’t help 3D’s image.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Avatar 2 might renew some interest, but running old classics through a conversion programme won’t help 3D’s image.

That will not stop the now quite tiny faction of members here who still pray for 3D Jesus to come back and save this format from crawling out of the woodwork every couple of years. Instead of...you know...admitting they wasted their money.

Don't bother arguing with them. I gave up years ago and let karma do its work.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That will not stop the now quite tiny faction of members here who still pray for 3D Jesus to come back and save this format from crawling out of the woodwork every couple of years. Instead of...you know...admitting they wasted their money.

Don't bother arguing with them. I gave up years ago and let karma do its work.

☝️ This! Thank You! 👆

Though I don't think it fair to say they wasted their money. I know I didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks