What's new

James Stewart Signature Collection Aug 15th from WHV (1 Viewer)

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Is the lack of any "expert commentaries" in the feature list for the individual DVDs an error in the body of the text, or an omission in the list of features?

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Although I'd say that this set includes just one unequivocally great film - Anthony Mann's masterful THE NAKED SPUR (1953) - the other selections are pretty respectable. The lack of any significant extras, particularly on SPUR itself, is regrettable, though.

For myself, I'm rather ashamed to say that I've never watched FIRECREEK (1968) ...not because it is a Western (one of my favorite genres) or because it has any particular reputation, but it's been shown repeatedly on Italian TV over the years that I really should have been familiar with it by now! Actually, the same would have been true of THE CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB (1970) but I managed to catch up with it only last Summer and, although it wasn't any great shakes as a film, having Stewart and his pal Henry Fonda in the cast and being directed (atypically) by Gene Kelly, it couldn't help but have its undeniable felicities.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Other than "Spirit Of St. Louis", these well al lbe blind buys for me. Looks like another winner!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Question........

Is "The Spirit Of St. Louis" a Widescreen film? Being that it was made in 1957 (during the height of the "CinemaScope" craze), I would think its OAR would be some type of WS ratio. But the info provided about the Stewart Boxed Set didn't mention Widescreen for "Spirit". And I can't seem to find any information re. the film's original screen ratio. (I think that IMDB ought to add a reference to "OAR" for all movies listed on that website. It'd be a most-useful addition, IMO.)

Any info re. "Spirit's" OAR would be appreciated.

And remember to keep the ice off your wings. :)

(Hopefully, some day we'll also see "No Highway In The Sky" on DVD from Fox. :))

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Excellent. Thanks, Tom.

Now the only question is -- why doesn't the press release for "Spirit" mention "Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1"? Kinda odd it's not mentioned. (And for "The FBI Story" as well...which also surely must be a WS film.)

(I can hear the cries of grief already if those DVDs are in FF/P&S....starting with my angst. Although, granted, it's highly doubtful that a major studio would be that idiotic to pull a silly boner like that in this day-&-age replete with 16x9 TV monitors.) :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because press releases have been known for being wrong beforehand about presentation specifications. I don't think you have anything to worry about in this regard. Warner isn't going to spend a bunch of money on a significant restoration of Spirit of St. Louis just to screw the pooch by not releasing the dvd in the OAR.

Crawdaddy

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

While it's probably a Castle Hill issue rather than a Warner issue, I suspect that Baby Doll was supposed to be matted.

I'm also certain that Spirit of St Louis will be scope and anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks