James Stewart Signature Collection Aug 15th from WHV

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TimJS, May 14, 2006.

1. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

From DavisDVD:

The FBI Story
    The Naked Spur
    The Spirit Of St. Louis
    The Stratton Story
    The Cheyenne Social Club/Fire Creek (double feature)

$49.92 for set, $19.97 ea.

Tim

2. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

I'm kind of disappointed with the titles selection. Although I really liked the inclusion of Naked Spur and Stratton Story, I was really hoping for Mortal Storm and Shopworn Angel.
    Finally, I have no interest at all in The Cheyenne Social Club nor Fire Creek.
    Let's hope they make a volume 2 quickly.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I guess you can't make everybody happy, but they've done so for me. Regarding those last two titles, nothing better than seeing two buddies for life (Stewart and Fonda) in the same film.

Crawdaddy

4. Seth.H

Seth.H Agent

I guess with many actors, if you tried to make everyone happy, you would end up with a box set out of everybody's price range [​IMG] I am sure your titles with be released in the future mate.

Happy with this box set (hell I love any classic box set)

Well done Warners yet again. [​IMG] Keep 'em coming.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Thanks to Warners for a great set. Cheyenne Social Club falls in the "guilty pleasure" category. It's been run endlessly in MAR on Encore Westerns recently so getting a proper presentation will be most appreciated.

Rafael - ditto to a Vol 2 [​IMG]

6. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

As usual, WB has put together a stellar set, and smartly assembled. Although I am extremely fond of Stewart's early MGM work, perhaps there indeed can be a volume two, as this set is sure to sell very well, which may make it easier to justify a vol.2 of films that are lesser-known beyond die hard film buffs.

It's a savvy selection of titles, at an unbeatable price. 6 movies for $50 SRP....means discount availability at probably around $37 or so....

You've got four big hit pictures that are definitive Stewart performances (among so many), and then a double feature of Stewart and his best friend Fonda in two fun western romps.

Let's also cheer at long last, the release of THE SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS. Another masterpiece from one of the greatest directors of all time, Billy Wilder, finally comes to DVD. I believe I recall that Warner took several years to get this one restored.

I can't wait.

Truly something to celebrate!

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

[​IMG]

Looking forward to another WB box purchase!

It's incredible how consistent these guys are... I still remember a time when the Legends and Marx Bros. box came out and they were huge deals. Now it's like we're getting classic material in deluxe collections with stellar treatment every other week!

I think MGM (Sony) and Fox would do a lot better if they began packaging their classic Westerns into themed sets too. I guarantee that they'd sell many more copies. Hell, I'd probably own every single one of MGM's earlier western releases now, including many titles I wouldn't have otherwise considered if they'd have gone this route with their titles and pricing. It'd be nice to see a packaging of sorts in the future. I see that Fox is hip to this concept as they've got something lined up for the summer I believe...

8. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I'll pass on the box set but will swoop on The Naked Spur and the Double set of Cheyenne Social Club and Firecreek.

There are sure to be complaints from several regulars here that have been begging for Carbine Williams. ( I'm not one of them :) )

I too look forward to some of Stewart's earlier work on a later set.

9. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

Given the suggested price of $50 for the set, but $20 for the individual discs (less after discounting), doesn't it work out better just to buy the set, then sell the ones you don't want? Warner does it again...

10. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Full details at DVD Times;

James Stewart Signature Collection in August :

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of James Stewart: The Signature Collection for 15th August 2006. Honouring one of America’s most beloved actors and classic Hollywood leading men this signature collection includes six of Stewart’s films -- all new to DVD -- being released in the five-disc collection: The FBI Story, The Naked Spur, The Spirit of St. Louis, The Stratton Story and a double feature DVD that features two irresistible pairings of Stewart and his dear friend Henry Fonda: The Cheyenne Social Club/Firecreek, both available for the first time on video in widescreen presentations. This superb collection presents Stewart in a variety of different roles that underscore his incomparable versatility as an actor and features Stewart in powerful performances opposite a star-studded array of screen favourites including Robert Ryan, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles, June Allyson and Agnes Moorehead. The DVDs also include expert commentaries, theatrical trailers for each film, and a bevy of vintage comedy shorts, classic cartoons that have become the distinctive hallmark of Warner Home Video classic DVD presentations. This impressive assemblage of Stewart at his best will sell as a collection for $49.92 SRP, with all titles available individually for $19.97 SRP.

The FBI Story (1959)
    Stewart portrays one of J. Edgar Hoover’s finest and Vera Miles co-stars as his steadfast wife in this salute to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The colorful career of Agent Chip Hardesty (Stewart) covers 1924 to the late ’50s. Along the way he tangles with everything from the Ku Klux Klan to a bomber who commits mass murder for insurance money. His fiercest exploits come in the ’30s when he stares down a gun barrel at Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd, Machine Gun Kelly, Ma Barker and John Dillinger. From two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Don Whitehead’s bestseller and directed by veteran Hollywood hit maker Mervyn LeRoy.

Features include:
    Theatrical trailer
    Languages: English & Français
    Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

The Naked Spur (1953)
    “Plain arithmetic: Money splits better two ways instead of three,” smooth-talking outlaw Ben Vandergroat reasons to his captors, three bounty hunters thrown together by chance. They’re taking Ben to justice in Abilene, but he has other ideas. If he can set the men against each other – play on their greed, their fears, their vanities – he may be able to make his break to freedom.

In the third of his five landmark Anthony Mann-directed westerns, James Stewart stars as the relentless leader of bounty hunters caught in the snare of the hunted (Robert Ryan). Tough, tense, and towering as tall as its breathtaking Colorado Rockies setting, The Naked Spur is simply “one of the best Westerns ever made” (Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide).

Features include:
    Vintage short Things We Can Do Without
    Classic cartoon Little Johnny Jet
    Theatrical trailer

The Spirit of St. Louis (1957)
    On May 21, 1927, the world changed. “Lucky Lindy” landed outside Paris. And people who previously talked about the limitations of air travel suddenly dreamed of its limitless possibilities.

The Spirit of St. Louis is six-time Academy Award winner Billy Wilder’s recreation of the struggles and success of Charles A. Lindbergh, the pioneering flyboy who, like test pilots and astronauts to follow later, had the “right stuff” of aviation heroism. Lindbergh fan James Stewart, himself a pilot, sought the role but was initially turned down. But his persistence paid off, as Stewart added Lindy to his gallery of indelible portrayals of American heroes. He and Wilder together manned the cockpit of a stirring epic entertainment.

Features include:
    New digital transfer from restored picture and audio elements
    Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
    The Spirit of St. Louis Premiere
    Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy short So Your Wife Wants to Work
    Classic cartoon Tabasco Road
    Theatrical trailer

The Stratton Story (1949)
    Chicago White Sox pitcher Monty Stratton is an affable long drink of water with an easy, whip like delivery and a pitch so unhittable the young phenom racks up consecutive 15-win seasons. But Stratton’s greatest victory doesn’t come on the green diamonds of our national pastime.

Stewart portrays Stratton, who loses a leg in an accident just as his career is on the rise…and whose triumph over despair and disability leads him to pitch again. Stewart signed on for the role when he realized the film would be an inspiration to injured World War II GIs. The film still inspires. Awarded an Oscar® for Best Motion Picture Story, directed by Sam Wood (The Pride of the Yankees) and supported by a top cast that includes June Allyson, Agnes Moorehead, Frank Morgan and real-life ballplayers, The Stratton Story is sports biography at its best. The pairing of Allyson and Stewart was so successful, that they appeared together again in 1954’s
    The Glenn Miller Story and Strategic Air Command (1955).

Features include:
    Vintage Short Pest Control
    Classic Cartoon Batty Baseball
    Audio-Only Bonus: Radio Show with Stewart and Allyson
    Theatrical trailer
    Subtitles: English, Français & Español (Feature Film Only)

The Cheyenne Social Club (1970)/Firecreek (1968)
    They can be tough as leather. Or as down-home as any pair of good ol’ boys. Either way, there’s a sense of warm respect between Henry Fonda and Stewart, the two stars whose off-camera friendship goes back to their days as struggling actors and roommates. The Cheyenne Social Club [Side A] casts them as saddle-weary Texans who, surprised to find they’ve inherited a Wyoming bordello, feel honor-bound to defend it against a gun-wielding gang. Gene Kelly produced and directed this mix of fun and Western action. Next comes a firestorm of character-driven excitement in Firecreek [Side B]. Fonda plays an outlaw preying on small towns, and Stewart is the jittery, $2-a-month part-time lawman who must find the courage to stop him.

Features include:
    First-Time Widescreen home video debut [16x9 2.4:1] for both movies
    Vintage The Cheyenne Social Club featurette The Good Time Girls
    Theatrical trailers
    Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature films only)

11. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

Didn't Stewart once introduce a broadcast of "The Spirit Of St.Louis" on television about twenty-five or so years ago? Anybody remember this? I think it might have been on the old "SFM" series ...

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

12. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'll be snatching up The Naked Spur at last! [​IMG] Great news!

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Wow, add another reason to dip for the entire set, even if you consider the features a mixed bag... those extras!!!

Thanks again for the classic 'toons and comedy shorts, it's much appreciated Warners!!!

14. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

not really happy with the selections except the stratton story and the spirit of st. louis. i was really looking forward to the mortal storm and the shopworn angel.

15. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Stunt Coordinator

'The Naked Spur' is one of the five best westerns ever made and I'll be
    getting this one in a hurry once it's released! Also, 'Firecreek' is a fine little
    movie with some truly great moments in the final act.

16. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

A nice surprise. I will be getting The Naked Spur and The FBI Story.

17. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    THE SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS....finally!!...not only for James Stewart but also the great Billy Wilder!

18. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I'm surprised that some folks are disappointed with this set. I mean its Jimmy freakin' Stewart. [​IMG]

Really looking forward to the release of The Naked Spur in particular, in addition to Stewart the film has a terrific performance from Robert Ryan.

19. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

well i think the mortal storm is still coming out because the digital bits did say it was in production.

20. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

i just think some people were hoping for some of his films from his early mgm days, including me. i'm sure there will be a volume 2, but some of his earlier ones woulld've been nice to have in this set.