What's new

James Randi strikes again! (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm sure Randi was never worried :)
Anyway, one can read his discussion here. Be sure to follow the link to the Oliver Wendall Holmes article.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Classic (linked from Julie's link)
Don't know if that's been tossed around on HTF but I found it an apt summation of the moon hoax arguments. I'm sure certain members and moderators will get a laugh out of that.
Evan

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the links Julie!
Wait a minute...how long has it been since you posted last anyways? :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Max, Julie has been in HTF hibernation. It will take some effort to keep her activated. More threads that support a critical worldview would help. So, thanks for waving the Official James "Amazing" Randi Skeptics' Flag.
My horoscope said this would be a great day! :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Max,
Yes, it's been a while :)
Jack,
That's right - I couldn't resist an Amazing Randi thread! Although I did come out of hibernation a couple of days ago over in Software when I had to gush over a new DVD set I recently got.

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Just wanted to chime in that the famous ghosts thread here on HTF got me into reading www.randi.org. I look forward to reading the weekly commentary every friday during lunch.
Greg

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
My cousins are big believers in homeopathy. One of them told me with a straight face "We don't use allopathy(traditional medicine) unless we are really sick." It took all of my self control not to burst out laughing to her face.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
replied RobertR correctly. :)
Know something? I can't account for about two hours of time last Saturday evening. So help me, one moment is was about 9:30 p.m. Then the next thing I remember it was 11:30. I could tell because the bottle of Jagermeister knocked the clock onto the floor, which is where I was when I saw it.

Julie K

Screenwriter
It's got to be aliens, Jack. Lost time is a classic symptom. How could anyone doubt the evidence?

It's puzzling though as to why they drank up all your Jagermeister. I've never seen anything on the X-Files to explain that one, but obviously it was they who misplaced the bottle just before they left your house.

Ike

Screenwriter
I love Randi, and his website. The article on Sylvia Brown is hilarious.

A sample:

Larry asked a caller from Yonkers why she had asked Sylvia about "fault," and Sylvia very softly and quickly whispered to Larry "She's afraid it was a suicide." The caller immediately stated, "It was a car accident," and Sylvia smoothly changed tack and continued, as if she'd known that all along, "Yeah, she was trying to veer off from something." Note: all of this procedure is in exact conformance with the methods offered in Ian Rowland's book, "The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading," which we mentioned last week.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Jagermeister must be an alien concoction...why would any human want to make that stuff? Yechh. Humans are foolish enough to drink it though. No offense intended, Jack.

I think Randi needs a television show, where he tours around the country debunking all this foolishness. But, admittedly, he would need a co-host with Playboy-bunny statistics to keep it on the air, with cameos by David Hasselhoff to complete the evil triad.

Oh crap, somebody slipped a mickey of Jagermeister into my drinking water again. *shakes fist at Christou's mind control orbital laser platform*

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think Randi needs a television show
Well, it isn't Randi, but The Science Channel is running a show produced in association with Skeptical Inquirer magazine. I blush to admit I've forgotten the title and when it is on. :) I caught only part of one episode, and it took me awhile to realize it as an actual show, not just one of those little filler things they used to run from time to time. My confusion was partly due to the fact that the actor who played The Cigarette Smoking Man on The X-Files hosts the series, just as he did the short subjects.
Randi himself is going to appear on Penn and Teller's new Showtime series, Bullsh*t, in which the duo will in fact expose a lot of these cons. No Playboy Playmates perhaps, but probably a few showgirls and the entertainment value of Penn & Teller themselves.
(Of course there was also the recent South Park that ripped John Edward up one side and down the other, culminating in a group of extraterrestrials giving him the "Biggest D**che in the Universe" award. :))
Regards,
Joe

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Just wanted to chime in that the famous ghosts thread here on HTF got me into reading www.randi.org. I look forward to reading the weekly commentary every friday during lunch.
Greg
Wow, this is weird! I just looked at randi.org and noticed that the site was designed by my roommate from back when I lived in Ft. Laud. Gotta email him and ask about that..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks