What's new

James Cameron and deep sea exploration: his new love? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just watched the excellent documentary on the Discovery channel James Cameron's Expedition: Bismarck and after seeing how into it he was and taking into account his passion over the past few years over deep sea diving and ship wrecks, i'm starting to wonder if we perhaps may be losing him as a filmmaker.
I know that he'll eventually direct again, but will his heart be in it as strongly as it was before he got so involved in diving? I know from intervews that he's always had a passion for the deep sea ever since he was little, but he's been doing this an aweful lot and hasn't made a film since Titanic.
I know you love diving James, but let's make a movie already man! :)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
he has been busy producing stuff like Dark Angel & Solaris plus there is a great article in Newsweek on the last page about the sinking of the Bismarck where he talks to at leats 2 of the survivors. Let's hope this gets seen in the UK as well, or does anybody know when the DVD is coming out.
cheers
:emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yeah, I knew that he was doing those two projects, but I was just wondering why he hasn't directed a film since 97.

I assume your referring to the Discovery channel doc last night, they advertised it on dvd already, you can order it on their website I believe, it goes for about 22 bucks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
"After `Titanic,' everyone wanted me to go out immediately and make another feature," Mr. Cameron said recently while polishing off the remains of a protein bar in his suite of offices here. "I like making movies, but I like to do a lot of things, and when you make a movie, that's all you do. You take the phone off the hook and you don't answer it for a year."
While Hollywood waited for him to announce the plans for his next film, Mr. Cameron did what he had always done when he finished a job. "Whether it was `Terminator' or `Aliens' or `The Abyss,' I'd always go on a diving trip," he said. "Filmmaking is insanity. The ocean is where I go to regain my sanity."

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
JC is also working on an IMAX film titled Ghosts of the Abyss, I believe. He's made subsequent dives to the big T, as well as Bismarck, in preps for it.
I'll get the DVD for this special...it was very well done.
He needs to get a Titanic SE out.
Take care,
Chuck

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
It's not new for Cameron to be interested in ways to film. Most of his career so far has seen him working on underwater filming techniques. He's been interested in the concept since at least the mid 80s from biographical information I've seen with him. From what I understand, his new fascination is with vaccuum and orbital photography, and I believe he is striving to shoot a film in orbit in the next few years.

But yes, I wonder if we're losing him as a feature director. It's been three years since Titanic was released, which was his last feature effort. Three is a long time for a typical movie consumer, though fans can keep the faith burning over this same time period. He's produced on Dark Angel and Solaris, and now directed the Bismark documentary.

Come on James, put your director's hat back on and do a new fiction project!!!!

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Wasn't it rumored that Cameron's next directoral job would be a story about Hiroshima told from multiple points of view? (Crew of Enola Gay, Japanese civilians, etc) That could be one hell of an epic.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
JC is also working on an IMAX film titled Ghosts of the Abyss, I believe. He's made subsequent dives to the big T, as well as Bismarck, in preps for it.
Ghosts of the Abyss has been finished for over a year and Disney is sitting on it. It's IMAX footage of the Titanic. His next film will be True Lies 2, shooting around next summer

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

It was in released in -97, so it's 5 years actually.

I hope he directs something soon, I don't care what it is, I'm sure it'll be good.)

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
"His next film will be True Lies 2, shooting around next summer"

I heard cameron recently dropped out of directing True Lies 2.

-Mike

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I believe I've read definitive comments from Cameron stating he's not going to do TL2. I think the quote was something like 'Somehow a movie that is about chasing terrorists doesn't seem as funny now'.

I'd love TL2, specifically so we could get Tom Arnold back for his character. Don't think it's happening though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks