What's new

James Bond on BD (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Richard--W said:
Stop it, will you. I notice, but I don't fixate.
Are you serious? Or, did you just forget one of these: :) ? I didn't think so much about the use of the word "fixate." If you prefer "notice" you may insert that into my previous posting. :)
There was always something in OHMSS that distracted me and I could never pin down what it was until I asked my wife why she was giggling. If my PC did not prevent screen captures and such I would show you where the wardrobe goes over the deep end. But you will notice that yourself next time you watch it. It's my most wanted Bond film on Blu-ray.
OK, Richard.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Scott Calvert said:
I imagine these will be the same masters created by Lowry several years ago for the DVDs. MGM must have spent some coin on that and I don't see them doing them all over again.
I'm sure they will be, but I seem to recall discussions where later releases of a same master can be improved by using a more advanced encoding. Not an expert in the area but that is what I perceived from the discussion. So if true, that is where i could see them marketing a better release.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Richard--W said:
There was always something in OHMSS that distracted me and I could never pin down what it was until I asked my wife why she was giggling. If my PC did not prevent screen captures and such I would show you where the wardrobe goes over the deep end. But you will notice that yourself next time you watch it. It's my most wanted Bond film on Blu-ray.
e0222e41_OHMSS1970-UA-quad.jpeg
I recall the wardrobe, but for me OHMSS was a bit before my time (I would have been around 8 at the time it was originally released). So while it is obviously different to me, I wouldn't really be able to identify what would be typical or over the top for the time period. So luckily, no distraction on my part.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Of the titles which haven't yet been released on Blu, I'm most looking forward to You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, The Spy Who Loved Me, and Goldeneye.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/303278/james-bond-on-bd/30#post_3881322
Of the titles which haven't yet been released on Blu, I'm most looking forward to You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, The Spy Who Loved Me, and Goldeneye.
Ditto....... but I do want ALL the remaining Bonds

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My only concern is whether MGM will keep the uniformity
on the cover art with future Bond release.

In other words.....

The last thing anyone wants is a total redesign of the Blu-ray
covers so that when you put all the Bond titles together on
your shelf, they don't match up.

It is my hope that MGM continues the current artwork design
and doesn't attempt to change everything up as a way to force
consumers to re-buy titles they already own.

goteam007

Grip
Real Name
Bob
I wouldn't mind a redesign of the cover art. The theatrical posters look better than the photoshopped Bonds in front of an explosion. I wish Disney did the same thing.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Ronald Epstein said:
The last thing anyone wants is a total redesign of the Blu-ray
covers so that when you put all the Bond titles together on
your shelf, they don't match up.
Consistent cover art is actually pretty far down the list of concerns I have about future 007 Blu-ray releases. If that really is your *only* concern, then you have a lot more faith in the studio than I!
Besides, like Bob, I think the existing covers are pretty awful, and I'd gladly overlook the inconsistency if it meant that at least *some* of the movies got good art.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't care whats on thE cover. My only concern Is getting movies into my house.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
He doesn't do everything in a tuxedo in the originating films.
Showing that on the posters was considered and understood to be tongue-in-cheek.
5f7130ad_Thunderball1965-UA-six.jpeg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There is an excellent thread here on blu-ray cover art for the Bond movies:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/284845/zinema-style-james-bond-007-blu-ray-collection

Every one of these Zinema-style cover art pieces is superior to what was on the BDs, and I printed and inserted each one on mine. Hoping these covers continue for the discs to come next year.

In general, I think your best bet is poster art or some slight variation thereof for the artwork. The Bond movies haven't had the poster art used since the 1st generation VHS and some of the CED releases in the early 80s.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by Sam Favate /t/303278/james-bond-on-bd/30#post_3881492
There is an excellent thread here on blu-ray cover art for the Bond movies:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/284845/zinema-style-james-bond-007-blu-ray-collection

Every one of these Zinema-style cover art pieces is superior to what was on the BDs, and I printed and inserted each one on mine. Hoping these covers continue for the discs to come next year.

In general, I think your best bet is poster art or some slight variation thereof for the artwork. The Bond movies haven't had the poster art used since the 1st generation VHS and some of the CED releases in the early 80s.
I'm not able to see the artwork. Were they taken down, or is it a browser or some other issue on my end...?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
They don't appear for me, either. I think they've been removed.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I personally would like some consistency between the new releases and the old as far as cover art is concerned. I have the current releases all lined up on the shelf in production order and would be annoyed if they came out with different artwork. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Word is leaking out of CES that Panasonic mentioned that
Fox would be releasing a complete boxed set of James Bond
films on Blu-ray.

I am certain more official news will follow shortly as the official
CES event is tomorrow.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting that funny feeling again............that funny feeling I get when I think I'm going to get screwed.

Not the fun kind of screwed either.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the update Ron. I've bought these films more times than I should have (VHS, LBX VHS, LD, SE LD, DVD, UE DVD, BD), but I know that a complete BD set done correctly, fixing the UE errors and with excellent presentation will be mine. I know they're squeezing me for as much money as they can, but I can't help it!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Will*B /t/303278/james-bond-on-bd/30#post_3886026
Thanks for the update Ron. I've bought these films more times than I should have (VHS, LBX VHS, LD, SE LD, DVD, UE DVD, BD), but I know that a complete BD set done correctly, fixing the UE errors and with excellent presentation will be mine. I know they're squeezing me for as much money as they can, but I can't help it!
As they make more films, there will never be a complete Bond set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks