What's new

James Bond Blu ray Collection - Volumes 1 & 2 (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Your right about Thunderball - I was so tired I managed to confuse it with From Russia With Love, which is 1:66 - I corrected it.Thanks for the info on that. I have to say that For Your Eyes Only was soft looking with somewhat more subdued colors - intentionally I would say. Although the scenes starting with the skiing are much better (sharper, clearer), as are the those near the end when they go to St. Cyril. Not sure why. With the more vivid colors in those scenes as well I wish it had been as consistent and nice throughout. When Moore was climbing the rock face near the top the distant background had a depth to it that really brought much better impact to that part of the film. This was while watching with the projector, so the image was fairly large ( 128" ). Certainly allows one to really see any possible failings in the transfer, although in this case it seems the softness was intended.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Actually Brent, please could you do me a big favour and check the following:

LIVE AND LET DIE:

At the 00:00:46 (DVD time) mark there's a subtitle which reads "United Nations, New York City". Is this the original theatrical caption or has it been player generated? If player generated has some effort been made to match the original or it is cheap and nasty looking?

Also, is the beginning of the opening credits still overly red or has the red/black contrast been restored?

DIE ANOTHER DAY:

At the 01:44:40 (DVD time) mark there's a subtitle which reads "U.S. Command Bunker, De-Militarised Zone, South Korea". How does this look on BD? Does each letter appear on-screen one at a time, as if typed (i.e. good)? Or does the whole caption flash on in one go (i.e.bad)?

A thousand thanks!

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Well I've gone ahead and canceled my order with Amazon and re-ordered the bundle pack.

At least it's cheaper.

I guess what I'll likely end up doing is printing out my own covers at some point in the near future. I'm hoping that someone will be able to make some cool custom art based off the original artwork for each poster. That'd be ideal.

troy evans

Screenwriter
They have. If you google "custom dvd covers" you will be amazed what's out there. On one site I've seen exactly what you're talking about with original poster art. Forum member Ric Easton made some very nice custom covers for his Bond sets. As a matter of fact, he's done pretty nice customs of a good bit besides that. Check him out.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Stayed up a bit later than usual just to watch Thunderball. Since I am not familiar with how it should look I will say I thought it was the best of the three as far as the video presentation is concerned. It does not appear to have any DNR, colors are quite vivid, not overly saturated and skin tones very natural - and it is certainly the sharpest as well, but in a good way.It still looks like film and at times I could discern some grain, say during scenes with a lot of blue sky - although quite fine. Very consistent overall. It would be interesting to know how these films were originally shot. Looking at For Your Eyes Only I have to assume they used a filter, that is the impression I got anyway. From Russia With Love was not quite as sharp as Thundeball ( with the pj ). Not being an expert I could be seeing some DNR and not realize it but from what I saw ( Thunderball ) it was very well done. Others may see issues when they watch it. Guess we will wait and see.

John - I would gladly help out except I only have Volume 2, the two you are interested in are on Volume 1. Sorry!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

If you all are talking about this item, the picture clearly shows two volume packs and not six individual discs.

Amazon.com: James Bond Blu-ray Collection Six-Pack (Dr. No / Die Another Day / Live and Let Die / For Your Eyes Only / From Russia with Love / Thunderball) (Amazon.com Exclusive) [Blu-ray]: Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan: Movies & TV

The only reason I had planned to order all six James Bond films on their release was because they were reasonably price through this offer. That said, it is no longer a 'deal' to me if they come in that atrocious package. :frowning: It is back to the Connery films only for me. Hopefully, I will be able to pick up the other three via a deal later.

MattFini

Supporting Actor

Cool. Thanks Troy. I've sent out a few inquiries to people far more talented than myself regarding the subject. I plan to break these BDs out of their ugly cardboard case ASAP.

Greg Black

Second Unit

John,

According to a post on AVS, the color in the titles sequence has indeed been fixed. That gives me hope that at least some of the problems from the UEs have been fixed, but, as you said, there may be new problems that have been introduced as well.

p.s. I tried linking to the post, but apparently links to AVS have been disallowed because of an agreement with HTF that AVS has reneged on.

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Brent, do From Russia With Love and Thunderball have the mono tracks? Is this listed on the packaging?

John H Ross

Screenwriter

YES!!! This is fantastic news :) If this fairly "minor" issue has been fixed then surely the more significant problems with Goldeneye, OHMSS, etc must also have been corrected - fingers crossed!!

I seriously hope these discs are definitive. But I won't get too excited just yet. If they've buggered up the subtitles again after getting them SO right with the UEs then....

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I hope that they at least fill in the missing frames to fix that obvious jump-cut from Goldfinger (the frames that were present on the Criterion LD release, then magically disappeared from both DVD editions).

Greg Black

Second Unit
Direct captures from the BDs (albeit at 1280x720) - Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Thunderball and For Your Eyes Only:

007 Blu-ray : 100 captures HD

I have to say, upon cursory examination, these look better than I thought they'd turn out. Look at that beautiful grain structure! The contrast doesn't appear to be boosted, the colors look natural, no evidence of artificial sharpening, etc. These really could turn out to be the definitive editions. Now, just keep those fingers crossed that they've fixed all the problems from prior releases...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

You're not talking about intentional jump cuts in the action scenes are you? That was kind of Peter Hunt's signature to remove a few frames from a punch or other action move.

Doug

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm currently watching the BRs at night, and get this... all documentaries are NEWLY EDITS in 1080i, all are REDONE AND RECUT using the original ones as templates and IMPROVED ! Patrick Macnee narration is still there of course ! They reshot all inserts, reinserted all movie clips, and upscaled neatly whatever other clip was blurry last time !
Even some of the trailers that were lacking original titles last time in the UEs have now they titles BACK and in high def !!
As far as corrections : DAD have the original intertitles back, thought they seem computer generated in a similar font to the one used in the original print.
Thunderball color are back (they were somehow muted in the R2 pal release)
FYEO looks less sharp than the others because it's not a 4K scan, it's probably a 1K scan, and it seems there's a veil on the transfert, the trailer for example pops more and is more flashy.
No mono, and that's a bummer...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't care for those packages. I, too, would prefer individual cases, or, at a minimum, chronological sets. Truthfully, I don't care for virtually any of the current Blu-Ray packages, except maybe the anniversary edition of Close Encounters. Blu-Ray packages seem flimsy and lack artwork, inserts, etc.

There was a series of Bond VHS tapes in the 80s that used poster art, but as far as I know, that was the last time posters were used. Every release since at least the late 80s (on VHS) have used new, photoshop-type artwork.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I don't believe that For Your Eyes Only had a mono mix. I seem to remember it being shot with filtration on the camera, which may explain it not being quite as sharp as some of the other films.

Doug

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Oh, I meant mono for the earlier movies.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks