What's new

Jack Ryan Series SE Announced (1 Viewer)

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Good news. I'd been holding off on buying The Hunt for Red October because of the non-anamorphic transfer, but the re-issue must be mine. (I don't really care that it has DTS: I'll happily give it a listen, but it's not a selling point for me.)

Now I'm just trying to remember whether I liked Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger enough to pick them up as well. (I know I don't want The Sum of All Fears...)

I suppose there will be complaints about double-dipping, but personally I'm pleased to see that Paramount is willing to go back and re-issue some of their early DVD titles in superior editions.

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator
I bought HFRO a few months ago because I thought it would never be re-released. The picture of the original HFRO disc is REALLY grainy, and it's misframed to boot. I'm thrilled about this re-release, and I will be getting rid of my current HFRO disc. I can hardly wait for May!!

Ben

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Will be interesting to see what bitrate Paramount decides to use for the dts tracks on these films.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Excellent news. I can finally retire my trusty laserdisc versions and get a brand spanking dvd box set of the original Jack Ryan trilogy with Sum Of All Fears lumped in as well. I'm suprised there are no commentaries from Philip Noyce for Patriot Games or Clear & Present Danger, though. I say that because I read an interview with Noyce several years ago which said that he'd recorded commentaries (for his Ryan movies) for future release on dvd. Ah well, I can't wait to hear the senator ambush sequence in C&PD in dts!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am all over this!!!! I really did not care for The Sum of All Fears as part of the Jack Ryan series. If it would have been a movie by itself it would have been good. But I will still pick up the complete box set. I am so excited about this! Anamorphic and DTS! ;)

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
Currently selling my copies of hunt for red october, patriot games and clear and present danger!!! :0

set sounds too good.. guess i'll just have to sell the copies i currently have..

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The Hunt for Red October...
dts...
new anamorphic transfer...
director's commentary...
I'm very pleased to see a commentary for "The Hunt for Red October" & DTS is a great bonus. I do find it odd that the other two older films are not getting commentaries. And not redoing Sum with DTS is strange too. Well, nobody ever said that studio executives thought like the diehard DVD consumer. I'll be rebuying the 1st three movies.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
How many times have I purchased The Hunt For Red October?

1) Used copy of the original rental tape

2) Widescreen VHS

3) Original widescreen LD

4) Remastered widescreen THX LD

...and now it looks like I'll buy this DVD.

I love The Hunt For Red October. I astounded my wife's family the other day by being able to recite the dialgue along with the film when we came across it on TV.

I'm a freak.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
You ain't the only freak Aaron. :D

I've been known to ask "more tea anyone" with a Connery-ish accent, whenever my wife and I are having tea. (hot, iced or otherwise..hee!) ;)

Like many others... I'm thrilled to see this. I've held off on buying all three in the hopes of anamorphic releases! These are a favorite of my wife's as well... I've had a hard time holding her off buying the old ones. WOOOHOOOO!!! :D

(Of course, I'll hate the bilingual canuck versions of the covers... but that's what DVDCoverart is for.) :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Martin and Paramount! I only have HFRO and I got that a few years ago from the DVD club, so it didn't really cost me much. I will gladly repurchase. Hell I'm actually thinking of just buying the whole damned set as a "thank you" for what looks to be a great set of DVD releases! (even though I never saw SOAF)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Good Job Paramount :emoji_thumbsup:

Now if only these come out seperately; I only want HFRO:SE, and would pass if forced to buy PG or CPD with it.

Funny, this'll be the first box set on DVD that I didn't either ignore or get it all. First time for everything I guess.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Now if only these come out seperately; I only want HFRO:SE, and would pass if forced to buy PG or CPD with it.
David,

You can either buy all four films in one box for less than $80.00 U.S. or buy the first three for around $15-$20 each.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Count me for this box and already pre-ordered it from Deep Discount DVD for only $35 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks