What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

JACK AND THE BEANSTALK - 70th Anniversary Restoration! (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A Washington Times review of Jack and the Beanstalk (70th Anniversary Limited Edition).

- "The nearly immaculate restoration takes full advantage of a 4K scan of the 35mm SuperCinecolor original source elements."

- Regarding the loads of bonus features, the reviewer sums them up with "Dang, that’s a ton of extras, folks, and a great collection of background for film history connoisseurs."

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer
Thanks David, great work!!! Am I not seeing the full article? the link only shows that this is available and the extensive storyline...am I missing somthing? Please help me see the rest of the review...what I see ends with -
"Throughout, poor Costello takes a beating during the adventure that includes a dance with the housekeeper that the Three Stooges would appreciate; a battle with a stove; a roasting on a rotisserie; and even an attack by a pack of dogs."
I truly would love to see the full review in this wonderful release...

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
The full review is on my desktop and should be no matter how you're reading it, however, you do have to click a "Click to read more" link to read the full article.

- David

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The full review is on my desktop and should be no matter how you're reading it, however, you do have to click a "Click to read more" link to read the full article.

- David
Yeah, I tried that a few times and it took me somewhere else?? It wasn't to the rest of the artichle, sorry...I'd love to have read it...anyway, love the release!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I tried that a few times and it took me somewhere else?? It wasn't to the rest of the artichle, sorry...I'd love to have read it...anyway, love the release!!!
Seems to work for me. I click the link below and the rest of the article comes up on the same page.

1659553891683.png

Though seven decades old, the simple cinematic fable still offers a classic night of family-friendly entertainment and should amuse younger children.

4K in action: The nearly immaculate restoration takes full advantage of a 4K scan of the 35mm SuperCinecolor original source elements.

Viewers are first welcomed to the action with a sepia-toned opening that after 12 minutes transitions into an explosive color shift saturated to the point of looking like a live-action cartoon. That sepia tone also returns at the end of the movie, denoting another reality shift, just like “The Wizard of Oz.”

...and more...

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Seems to work for me. I click the link below and the rest of the article comes up on the same page.

View attachment 147205

Though seven decades old, the simple cinematic fable still offers a classic night of family-friendly entertainment and should amuse younger children.

4K in action: The nearly immaculate restoration takes full advantage of a 4K scan of the 35mm SuperCinecolor original source elements.

Viewers are first welcomed to the action with a sepia-toned opening that after 12 minutes transitions into an explosive color shift saturated to the point of looking like a live-action cartoon. That sepia tone also returns at the end of the movie, denoting another reality shift, just like “The Wizard of Oz.”

...and more...
sorry tried that 4 times and it took me to advertising, so I left.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
sorry tried that 4 times and it took me to advertising, so I left.
I just ried it now and finally got the rest of the article...wow, very nice!! And a good job!! Wierd, maybe it was because I use Safari? Anyway, great release and super nice article, Thanks David and Bob and the rest of the 3DA crew!!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The gala New Jersey big screen premiere of our JACK AND THE BEANSTALK 70th anniversary restoration is just two weeks away!

Special guests include Abbott and Costello expert Ron Palumbo, restoration producer Jack Theakston, archivist Bob Furmanek and your host, Paul Castiglia. You can secure advance tickets for this very special event here. Don't miss it!

Beanstalk-one-sheet-web.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Just eight days to go for the gala New Jersey big screen premiere of our official 70th anniversary JACK AND THE BEANSTALK restoration. Here’s your chance to see the original Jersey Boys on the big screen in their home state!

Tickets for this VERY special master class Q&A event on January 15 are selling fast, don’t miss it!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We tested the Jack and the Beanstalk DCP this morning. It looks and sounds absolutely fantastic on a huge silver screen. Here’s a view from the fourth row. If you attend the New Jersey restoration premiere next Sunday, you’re in for quite a treat. Tickets are selling fast for this very special event, don’t delay!

5970423D-31E1-4032-9926-A0B67EA8D66D.jpeg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We have two very special Midwest Sneak Preview screenings of our new ROBOT MONSTER restoration! The first will take place at the fabulous Wisconsin Film Festival on Saturday, April 15. Bob Furmanek will be there to introduce the film and discuss this most complex and painstaking restoration. Advance tickets are now on sale: https://wifilmfest.eventive.org/schedule/63eff19e2a798f0058621b11

Cinecolor expert Jack Theakston will be in Madison as well for a screening of our highly acclaimed JACK AND THE BEANSTALK restoration on April 16. Jack will also be presenting a master class presentation on this most complex color process along with his one-of-a-kind 35mm Cinecolor Trailer Reel. https://wifilmfest.eventive.org/schedule/63eff89e98baa9003de8e7cc

The second advance Midwest preview of ROBOT MONSTER (with JACK AND THE BEANSTALK) will take place on May 24 in Columbus at the Wexner Center for the Arts at Ohio State University. Tickets for this opening night screening to kick-off The Columbus Moving Picture Show weekend will be available soon. I'll post an update announcement as soon as those advance tickets go on sale.

And rest assured, there's lots of Ro-Man excitement ahead. Stay tuned for a VERY special 70th anniversary screening of ROBOT MONSTER in New York City on Saturday, June 24...

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
JACK AND THE BEANSTALK began filming 72 years ago on July 9, 1951. Do you have the official 70th anniversary restoration Blu-ray and DVD release from ClassicFlix? With over two hours of deluxe bonus extras, it is THE definitive edition of Bud and Lou’s timeless classic!

Official Trailer

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
JACK AND THE BEANSTALK began filming 72 years ago on July 9, 1951. Do you have the official 70th anniversary restoration Blu-ray and DVD release from ClassicFlix? With over two hours of deluxe bonus extras, it is THE definitive edition of Bud and Lou’s timeless classic!

Official Trailer

I have my copy (thanks to you and the folk at ClassicFlix). A truly great Blu-ray presentation!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Official Trailer
Thanks Bob, this is one of the jewels in my collection!! You and your team are amazing!! Can't wait to see the A&C Season 2 box set...

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
I finally received this beauty today and am eagerly looking forward to having a chance to watch the whole thing over and over again.

However, I seem to be experiencing problems similar to the ones John Maher showed in a screenshot earlier in this thread. I must be doing something wrong, or there must be something wrong with my player/TV options, right?

The sepia - toned opening looks absolutely stunning, but once we get to the color part of the film, a heavy dose of grain appears. I'll see if I can try it on a different setup to see if this issue persists.

For what it's worth, I ordered my copy directly through Amazon.

Looking forward to ordering the A&C Show sets in the near future, though.
IMG_20230814_211551508~2 (1).jpg
IMG_20230814_211649205.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The sepia - toned opening looks absolutely stunning, but once we get to the color part of the film, a heavy dose of grain appears. I'll see if I can try it on a different setup to see if this issue persists.
I'm pretty sure that's just the way it is. Several reviews made note of the heavy grain in the color sequences.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
This information was shared elsewhere and is worth repeating here.

The early first generation Eastman color 5247 negative stock was quite grainy in July 1951 when BEANSTALK was photographed.

35mm SuperCinecolor release prints are three generations removed from that grainy camera negative. Each layer of optical work in 1952 in order to create those 35mm prints added additional layers of grain to the image, plus a great deal of baked-in dirt and damage. These anomalies have all been addressed and cleaned digitally on our restoration.

You can learn more about the complex three-color printing process in Jack Theakston’s accurate and fact-filled featurette, IMPERFECT SPECTRUM.

It’s worth noting, this is the first SuperCinecolor show that had to be preserved and restored from 35mm release prints. That is because all of the master 35mm elements - Eastman 5247 camera negative and red, blue, yellow separation masters - went missing in 1959 when the worldwide rights were sold by Lou Costello to Sterling Television in New York.

When rights were transferred to RKO in 1960, they received a dupe black-and-white negative only. They received no color elements whatsoever. That’s why all of the 16mm TV prints from 1962 through the late 1970s were very grainy black and white. Here’s an example of the quality.

When I was Archivist for the Abbott and Costello Estates, I went through mounds of vintage paperwork. I discovered a cryptic lead on where the color 35mm elements may have gone in 1959 but my efforts to track them down led to a brick wall. They have not surfaced in six decades and tragically, they appear to be gone.

The one VERY brief piece of 35mm camera negative that I did find in 1980 was in a stock footage library in New York. It was being used as fill leader. You can see that footage in Cutting Down the Beanstalk, one of the bonus featurettes on this release.

This ClassicFlix release is the first time that you’re seeing a restored tri-color Cinecolor film that HAD to be sourced from release prints. Tragically, that’s all that survives in 35mm.

As reviewers have noted, the difference in quality between our new restoration and previous versions is substantial.

In conclusion. Yes, there is film grain for all the reasons mentioned above.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Bob, I really hope you guys would consider a second printing of "Africa Screams" and maybe even " The Noose Hangs High" sometime in the future. The prices on Ebay are so deflating. $350 - $400 (in the case of "Africa Screams") for a single film is simply way out of my, and I think many people's, price range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks