What's new

I've got a new dog! (3 Viewers)

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Sorry to hear the sad news posts & happy to hear the good stories.

My wife & I have pretty well always had dogs as family members, for ~35 years. (No kids)

My avatar shows 2 Bouvier des Flanders (the black one, to the left of the turtle crossing sign, passed 3 years ago)

The blond one (Mani) is a rarer "fawn" colored Bouvier he's 91/2 now.
We got a Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier (Vic) after the old girl (Meyo) passed. (We downsized as we are getting older)

I think dogs are very special beings & love that they share their lives so willingly & lovingly with us..

Note: turtle sign http://turtleshelltortue.org we rescue & rehab turtles

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
Save turtles. That's just neat. I'm happy to say I've stopped more than once to help one along its way.
I used to save rattlesnakes when I drove more rural roads.
Usually pretty young, just sunning themselves on the road. I'd use a pole to kind of nudge them off the road to safety, not actually get near them, but hey, they deserved to live.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Stan said:
Usually pretty young, just sunning themselves on the road. I'd use a pole to kind of nudge them off the road to safety, not actually get near them, but hey, they deserved to live.
Radioman970 said:
Save turtles. That's just neat. I'm happy to say I've stopped more than once to help one along its way.
Tx guys!

Yep we placed more than 1000 turtle crossing signs on our provincial highways & 1000's of turtles have been repaired, rehab'd & released since 1998-99
We even help another org get up crossing signs for the endangered Mississauga Rattler

Mind you, any snapper over 30lbs can be very dangerous!! I'm the only one that can handle & treat them un-sedated.

Bolting them together with Surgical SS wires, plates & screws is a rush... :eek:
Neat to see them heal up & go back to nature a year or so later :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll tell you, when you consider the age they can reach it's incredibly sad to see one that got hit on the road. Plus I ride a motorcycle sometimes and it's just something you have to watch for for a variety of reasons.

We once had a small snapper enter the yard and I was concerned about the children and the pets in the area. I tried to gently pick it up with the shovel for a trip to the creek down the road. That did not work. he didn't like the selected mode of transportation. The power in that turtle was scary. We just let him go at his own pace and he trekked on back at his leisure.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Stan said:
I don't believe in killing snakes but here in south GA people don't even take the time to see if a snake is dangerous or not they just run over them. More often than not it looks like they were harmless.

Since we're covering snakes, I want to throw some love at spiders. Yeah, creepy and icky (altogether ookie! lol) but they do some much good and most are harmless even if they do bite you. My population never recovered from the landlord painting the house, but before that I'd find loads of wasps in their webs. Of course, solitary wasps are bad, just the nests loaded with them. respect for nature is an important thing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have been derelict with any updates.

Well, Ike told me the other day I needed to step up my physical activity during my recuperation.

I however, was smart enough to bring my camera with me so that I could hang back while Ike did most of the running!

gallery_286742_34_1784516.jpg

gallery_286742_34_2280951.jpg

Ike's sister tagged along to add some glamour to the outing:

gallery_286742_34_346925.jpg

gallery_286742_34_115622.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have done a really poor job keeping this thread up-to-date this summer.

I guess that's because Ike and I have been having so much fun.

That--and the fact that my son got himself a new dog! Meet Zeke!

gallery_286742_34_2517199.jpg

Zeke is a Golden Retriever puppy. Ike approves.

gallery_286742_34_218472.jpg

While Zeke is a pup, my wife (and I) have been puppy-sitting while my son is at work. The two dogs play all day long.

gallery_286742_34_2914330.jpg

Zeke, Ike and Kelly even accompany us on hikes on some local trails.

gallery_286742_34_2578410.jpg

We took a weekend trip into Vermont and stayed at a friends camp:

gallery_286742_34_2726293.jpg

Here's Ike at Lake Champlain:

gallery_286742_34_140038.jpg

And, here's Ike posing on a truck at the Vermont Flannel Company:

gallery_286742_34_3619704.jpg

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Bella went in for a swollen front leg that she was limping on three months ago. Turned out it was an old injury that never quite healed and thanks to wresting with out other dog and chasing squirrels she had re aggravated it. Vet said taking it easy should clear it up. While there she took a look at all the other legs and referred us to a surgeon due to her left rear hip. Long story short she had severe hip dysplasia. After looking at X-rays both the vet and surgeon estimated a 3-5 year life span unless she got a new hip so she went in for a replacement last Friday. Things went well, we just need to keep her contained for the next two weeks with only potty breaks and then fairly contained with two quarter mile walks a day for the following four weeks.

Visiting the day after surgery. She spent a day and a half in the hospital and then came home:
WP_20141122_11_03_55_Pro (Medium).jpg

The incision:
WP_20141123_09_34_24_Pro (Medium).jpg

Someone wants an early release from jail:
WP_20141123_10_14_35_Pro (Medium).jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Awwwww.... he didn't pass go and collect $200, you can see it on his face! :p to a quick recovery!

Mine 3 get their pre Thanksgiving baths today. And me with back and ankle pains... oooohhh boy... But it's all worth it to have to squeeky and cleans!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bellllllllllllllllllla!

marlon_brando_stella_yell.jpg

Hip replacement for dogs. Who ever would have thought we would be at this point just a couple decades ago? The medical advances, the different attitude towards caring for our pets. It is truly amazing.

Pulling for Bella to have an easy and quick recovery, Adam. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ike's nephew Zeke came over for a playdate this Thanksgiving.

gallery_286742_34_14030.jpg

It is always a rough & tumble affair:

Kelly--our spaniel--watches from a safe distance (disapprovingly). As you can see, she already had her time in the wet snow:

gallery_286742_34_18195.jpg

gallery_286742_34_21006.jpg

The puppy Zeke always wears out Ike quickly:

gallery_286742_34_83110.jpg

So, Zeke then retired inside to watch NBC's airing of The National Dog Show:

gallery_286742_34_622998.jpg

Zeke is the first dog we've known who raptly will watch a TV whenever a dog is on screen. As soon as they dog is off-screen, his attention is lost. And he stares even when there are no aural clues that there's a dog on screen. It's quite funny to watch.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
RE: "watching TV"

We have had the Bouviers Des Flanders breed (a mainly visual oriented herder canine) for ~30 years

The males have always watched TV & sometimes interacted with it.
I do mean watching, as they will just sit/lie & even follow shows like Castle
They do this even for normal dialogue scenes
- there doesn't have to be action, noise or running animals.
Visitors have often commented that this bizarre, unique, strange & etc.
It took the current one (Mani - in my avatar pic) a while to figure the TV was not a window.

Jason Rex was the "funniest" - I would pop on Gremlins & he would watch it
- then attack the screen whenever Gizmo (et al) changed to "the dark side" creature

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just found out a month ago we have a second dog park in my city, only about four miles from my home. The other one is on the Washington/Idaho border, about 35 miles from home, so a bit out of a chore to get to, plus gas costs are a bit much so the dog can run around for 30 minutes.

This new one has been open a couple years, but very little publicity, never knew it was there.

This place is totally fenced, double gated so open gate #1, close it and take the leash off, then open gate #2 and let them go. 11 acres total, clear grassy areas, woods, hills, lots of fun. Separate small area for little dogs, the main park is for the big ones (I've got a black lab). Place is monitored and any violent dogs are kicked out. So far, I haven't seen any fights, I think the dogs are just excited with the freedom all they want to do is run and play (you actually aren't allowed to keep your dog on a leash). My dog loves everybody, people and dogs, so never had a problem with her.The TV comments are funny. My sister has two labs and they love to watch TV. Mine has never paid attention, unless there's a doorbell in a scene, then she'll start barking, thinking it's mine.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A sister was dog-sitting for friends, and she brought these two pups to join us for Christmas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 42

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Attention all dog lovers. The PBS Show "Nature" aired a program tonight (at 8ET) called "Dogs That Changed the World: Dogs by Design."

It has some beautiful images of dogs from across the world...but focuses mainly on how domesticated dogs--which all evolved from wolves--became the most widely varied species of mammal in appearance in such a short period of time (15,000 years).

If interested, the show airs again tonight at 1am ET.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks