What's new

It's The End Of The World As We Know It - Apocalyptic DVD Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
How about Stephen King's "The Stand"?
Watching this movie 8 years (wow... has it been that long?) after its release, it's pretty hard for me to believe they were able to get away with some of the carnage depicted on network TV. But even more eerie is the very real feeling you get of America not just being "emptied out," but of a whole country being full of dead bodies. It's hard to imagine... but "The Stand" makes it seem quite real.
The first quarter of the film (entitled "The Plague") is as compelling as apocalyptic fiction gets. And the DVD is excellent, with a superb commentary by King, director Mick Garris, and several cast members.
Oh... and if you're really into this type of fiction, King's novel is a joy. You know how you read a book and you love it so much you don't want it to end? Well, "The Stand" almost never does. :)
You might also try the book that heavily influenced "The Stand," according to King: "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to retire my VHS copy of "The Forbin Project" in return for a OAR DVD! ;)

Brian Alan

Agent
I liked The Postman as a novel, and I liked it as a movie, despite the ambivalent-to-bad reviews it received.

Charles Guajardo

Stunt Coordinator
A Boy and His Dog based on the story by Harlan Ellison.

edit: didn't see bruce's post above, i'll have to think of another i guess.

Oscar

Second Unit
Call me crazy but i recommend you:
1: Armageddon (sorry i am a very open minded guy ;) )
2: Deep Impact
3: Dr. Strangelove
4: The Book of Life
5: Strange Days
Those are my recommendations for a happy end of the world DVD fest. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thread resurrection.....
I'm partial to Special Bulletin.
Anybody ever see the ultra-low-budget 1962 B&W doomsday drama, This Is Not A Test?? The acting is really bad, but it has a certain realistic "feel" to it. And it was made right at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, which indeed made it topical at the time. I'm wondering if any of the 121 total people that saw this film in theaters in '62 might still recall it? :) I have a VHS copy via Video Yesteryear. But I see that's it's also out on DVD, via Something Weird Video. .......

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe I forgot to mention this one in my previous post on page 1, but definitely check out THREADS, and it IS on DVD! Excellent and very grim and disturbing!
Paramount needs to release TESTAMENT soon! I have no idea who has the rights to the other films I suggested though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks