What's new

It's The End Of The World As We Know It - Apocalyptic DVD Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
OK... 9/11 interest is now waning and new fears are surfacing which in reality are old fears stemming from the Cold War... Nuclear Annihilation.
The recent release of The Sum of All Fears is bringing those fears to light once more as world events are unfolding.
There are a few DVD's out that either directly approach or build around apocalyptic disasters. Here are a few that come to mind:
Threads [region '0' UK release]
The Day After [coming soon through Anchor Bay]
Fail Safe [great low budget mind thriller]
Dr. Strangelove [classic cult film]
There are some with "scenes".
I also have a ton of comet/meteor/asteroid disaster movies but this doesn't fit the bill for this particular request.
Can someone add to this list other suggested nuclear holocaust movies on DVD (Region 1 or Region 0) that have been or soon to be released?

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
PatrickMcCart
Thanks for the suggestion but looking for more serious movies. The below was a 1998 IMDb review on your recomendation:
"Combine a deadly robot (an overweight actor in a gorilla suit and a diving helmet) with a death ray (a bubble machine), and you have more stupidity than even Ed Wood could have assembled. The icing on this amazing cake is that the robot has a conscience and he questions his mission of death and destruction with Shakespearean sincerity."
I think I will pass on this one :D

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I recommend the following great films:

TESTAMENT
SPECIAL BULLETIN
ON THE BEACH
MIRACLE MILE

I loved all of them!

Julie K

Screenwriter
How about John Carpenter's Apocalypse 'Trilogy'?

The Thing
In The Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness

True, they don't deal with nuclear annihilation, but there are worse things than a bunch of puny nukes.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, he wants films with Mushroom Clouds! Nukes! Y'know, that stuff?

Of course, Thirteen Days and The Missiles of October come to mind.

Too bad they never made a DVD of the film "Colussus: The Forbin Project". Or made a film of the book "Alas, Babylon"!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Justin_S
The only one of your 4 suggestions that are on DVD is On The Beach which I have :D
All good movies and would like to see them on DVD but looking for those which "are" or "will be" on disc.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Richard (and others)
The Terminator Trilogy only deals with what happens "afterwards". I am looking for the buildup and the event, not only post. T2 does have one dream scene which is good but only a scene.
David, you are right... Mushroom Clouds and the works on my pizza ;)
I also have Thirteen Days which is a great movie and gives you some insight as to just how close the US came to WWIII in the '60's.
I am sure others here have a different fixation over some sort of theme they like in a flick. Don't get me wrong, I like all sorts of films but looking at the times at hand, these nuke movies seem to be of high interest right now and wanted to start a thread for not only myself but others with similar interest.
One recent post mentioned By Dawn's Eary Light which is a good movie but also not on DVD yet.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
Saw a movie on TV the other night "Panic in the Year Zero" that fits your bill....But don't think its on DVD yet ..but it should be..I really enjoyed it

Chris M

Second Unit
I just saw Resident Evil last night. It might count. But I won't give away any spoilers as to why. :)
Chris.

Julie K

Screenwriter
In that same vein, we can include the upcoming release of Return of the Living Dead, right? ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It should be noted that Panic in the Year Zero is a cheesy yet fun AIP-type of 1950s "Atomic Age" thriller complete with a paper-mache mutant monster. Love it.

Has a release date for The Day After been announced?

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
Actually there was No Monster in this movie It was basically about a family heading on vacation that just gets out of the way of a nuclear stike in LA & they move to the woods and try to avoid all the other survivors ( Punks,looters rapists etc)until the government can re-organize and get back into control of things....Stars Ray Milland & Frankie Avalon ..Chezzy ? maybe a bit but not nearly like the monster movies of the same genre

Guy Martin

Second Unit
How about Wim Wender's Until the End of the World. An interesting bit of humanist sci-fi. According to Wim's web site, it's in the works for DVD (date TBD).
- Guy

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Link Removed
From IMDB
This is the story of a young woman (who lives in Los Angeles) with a very boring job. At night however, she and a male partner cruise the bars as swingers. After a time, she begins to believe that a conspiracy exists and decides that she must become a born-again Christian. The movie presents an interesting view of how even the most unlikely person might become born-again.
Thought provoking yes, deep yes, Mimi Rogers naked YES!
IMHO The Rapture is one of the better apocalyptic movies made. It follows the life of a woman with weak morals and shows her inevitable change as the events around her unfold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks