It's Christmas Shopping Time!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Gazi, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Steve Gazi

Steve Gazi Stunt Coordinator

It's that time of the year again. [​IMG] I was asked what I want, so I'm asking for the JBL NSP-1 theater speaker set. Now I have to choose a receiver to go along with them. My price range is probably in the $300 range. I'll need a powered subwoofer, too. Are there any fairly cheap ones out there that perform well?
    Steve

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Steve: I just went through this process for my recreation room upstairs. I got the JBL NSP-1 for $299 from J&R and the Sony WM40 subwoofer from a local Best Buy for $150. The sub was a non-opened, reduced purchase, because I noticed that a fork lift had ripped the box. After careful examination, I realized that the sub was perfect and asked for a reduction in price. As for my receiver, I was lucky and bought a Toshiba SD-6109C DVD/Receiver for only $229. It was a B stock item and had a small scratch in the rear, but works perfectly, and came with a one year Toshiba warranty. So for less than $700 I got a pretty decent system. Shop around, and you'll probably do better. Check out Ubid for good deals on receivers... but shop and bid smartly and always consider the inflated shipping prices.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

3. Steve Gazi

I was just searching the topics for subs and a lot of people like that Sony. I think I'm going to pick one up and have it here for when I get the rest of my stuff. I could get one on-line for $170 shipped.

4. Steve Gazi

I found one for about $160 shipped. I'm going to purchase that tonight. I'm now looking for a receiver. Any opinions on the Kenwood VR-507?