What's new

It finally happened – Duplicate purchasing (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I guess it had to happen one day or another. Reaching 720 titles, I was entering the 6 DVDs I had purchased this week into DVD profiler and noticed I had already purchased the same exact DVD a year ago. Daredevil Director’s Cut! Thinking that it might have been part of my unseen pile it was understandable but the worst part is that after checking DVD profiler I found out that I had already seen it! :) Anyway the question is, with the growing number of our collection and availability of lots of cheap used DVDs, what do you do not to purchase duplicate titles? Have you purchased the exact same DVD a second time without knowing?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It hasn't happened yet... But I was just in Best Buy on Tuesday with Elf in hand wondering if I already had it. I didn't!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ric: Get Elf!

Sam: Almost bought a double of Thunderball once. I had to call home and have son check the Bond titles to see if it was there.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Or kind of the opposite: looking in your DVD rack and saying "I didn't know I had *that*!".

I suppose you could put a copy of some form of your DVD DB in a PDA.

What I do is (almost) never buy anything older on the spur of the moment, check at home first. If it's new or a big box set or something unusual, I'd Shirley remember if I already had it...

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
For me it's easy, I have to have a genuine interest in the movie, and it works itself out. I avoid owning lots of Hollywood commercial dreck (like Daredevil and Elf) and read a lot about film. Also, I keep the collection small, often selling off titles after I have watched them.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I never browse at the store. I take a "want" list with me, and only purchase from the list. It helps not only in avoiding duplicate purchases, but also on impulse buys.

I'll occasionally make an exception for a bargain bin title - but it's rare.

-Scott

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I never have this problem. Each week I note what new dvd releases I want and put them on my to buy list. If I happen to watch a movie that I've never seen before and it's already on dvd, I add that to my to buy list also. And each Tuesday, I simply buy what's on my to buy list.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I am pretty sure it as happened before, usually if I go to 2 or 3 stores on different days in the same week. I may say, "Did I get it at Target or wait to see if it was cheaper at Best Buy?" - Mostly it is never long term, usually within a few days of the other purchase.

And I loved Daredevil, so there. :)

Ryan

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Y'know, I don't have this problem. Books, yes, sometimes, particularly SF paperbacks; I see a book and think "that looks interesting" then find I've had that reaction at least once before. With a large fraction of the domestically released anime LaserDiscs in my collection, most of the ones I come across in stores are duplicates [the remainder being things I have no interest in, or imports], but I always know which is which. If somebody met me on the street and asked me to name everything in my collection, I'd have quite a time of it and I'm sure I'd miss something, but I always recognise something I already have one of.
Partly this is because my collection doesn't number in the upper three figures yet; partly, I strongly suspect, it's the big colourful jackets and the limited number of editions for a given title which do the trick.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have a massive DVD collection and I know EVERY single title on the shelf so, of course, why would I buy the same movie twice? Curious, in that I have a fairly poor memory and if you asked me what I had for dinner Friday night or when was the last time I had a haircut, I couldn't tell you but believe you me, when it comes to the movies I own, I KNOW what I have.

Unlike my poor friend Jim who must take his master DVD list with him every time he goes shopping because he can't remember what he has ..... I think when it comes to a stage when you can't remember what titles you have, maybe it's time to stop buying so many movies and stay home and watch the titles you have.

Of course, if I had a forgettable movie like Daredevil in my collection, I'd forget (or try to) that I had it too ..... sorry, I couldn't resist.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
You hit it on the nail, Thomas T. If you can't remember what movies you have maybe you should reevaluate why you're buying them in the first place. When I walk into a store I always know what I have back home, but sometimes I forget what I'm there to look for. :D

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I was browsing through my DVD collection last night, and shouted "holy crap, I didn't even know I owned this! All right!" The title was Sunset Boulevard, and I had been meaning to rent/watch it for a long time. Turns out I own it :)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

thats coffee and cigarettes for me. that film was my worst blind buy ever!!! the trailer for it was actually pretty good and i was curious but then .... what a let down :thumbsdown:

as for daredevil d.c.: i liked it :)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD

On the contrary, I think when it comes to a stage where you forget everything (and your life) and remember very well your DVDs, you should change your priorities in life...... (sorry, you were irrelevant first!)

Now onto relevant comments. I want to consider PDA or cellphone. Is there a version of DVD Profiler available for PDA? And how can you put it on your cellphone. I don’t want to have 2 lists. I want a workflow where I use my DVD Profiler list.

Rocky F

Second Unit
The moral of the story: Daredevil: Theatrical cut=bad, Director's cut=good.

On topic, I don't think I've ever done it, but we have had to put stuff down and go home or call home to check. I guess our biggest problem would be that my brother-in-law and sister-in-law live across the street and they buy a lot of DVD's too, and we swap back and forth, so sometimes we forget who bought what, or we'll end up with two copies of the same movie at one house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks