What's new

It finally happened – Duplicate purchasing (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I have over 900 titles, I couldn't name them all, of course, but I do know what I have. It's very strange reading about people buying same DVDs twice. I can understand if they're different versions, etc...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sam, you must realize that for some us, movies are not irrelevant and are a priority. Haircuts and Friday night dinners, though necessary, are not a priority and unimportant in the overall scheme of my life.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree over our lifestyles here. Movies ARE a priority in my life (even if you disapprove) whereas obviously they are not a priority in your life (at least judging from your buying habits). This is not an accusation or a judgement, just an observation.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I really wouldn't hold my breath on that one. They've been promising this for years.

And to the question posed at the start of this thread - I can only smile. Been there. Done that. Many times.

But in my defense:
  • I'm getting older (63 and counting)
  • My videodisc collection (DVDs and LDs) has gotten so large (over 5000 titles with almost 7000 discs - accounting for multiple disc sets) that this is inevitable.

The good news is that the grandkids get a lot of free titles. (I even extend this to buying updated versions and giving the "plain" versions to them where applicable and appropriate).

The bad news is that if I were to stop buying discs today I'd probably not be able to finish watching everything I own in my lifetime.

However, when someone inevitably asks the question, "Why So Many Movies?" I always point them to this excellent answer. If you've seen this essay before, I apologize, but with the influx of new members on the forum it doesn't hurt to spread the word again from time to time. And with the introduction of a lot of videos into the mix I guess the question can be rephrased, "Why So Many Movies and TV Shows?"

;)

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Jeez, you have 5000 titles? I couldn't even list 5000 movies I've seen. I couldn't even list 500 movies that I like let alone want to own :D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
As you can see, there are different ways of doing this. I have over 1,000, and gave up long ago trying to remember them all, but..

If you are caught up with your buying, thas is, you have everything that you want that has already come out, then you'd only need a list of the new releases that you want to get.

If not, it might be better to make a list of what you want, and if you get to a store and see something not on it, don't buy it, but write the title down, go home and check. Ok, call home and ask.

Glenn

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I have two copies of the first season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. One is still in shrink-wrap. :b

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
While I don't have a very good memory about certain things, I've kept my DVD collection straight in my head pretty well despite always having DVDs coming and going with trades. I DID, however, buy "Sopranos Season 4" twice!

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Ouch, that must really hurt buying TV season sets twice! Fortunatly I have not reached that yet. :D

Joel C

Screenwriter
When I just had about 100 titles, I used to pass time in boring classes by trying to list them all (no, college was not a waste of money)...

Now I have far too many to do that, but if I see a specific movie, I know if I own it. Sometimes I'm admittedly not sure if I STILL own something (I sell a lot of titles). What I'd really like to do is find records of all the DVDs I sold on eBay before I started using Amazon (which stores sales records). I know I sold like two lots of 30 to 50 DVDs and I only remember a handful of the titles.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Like Thomas T, I too know every single movie that I own, even though I have a collection of 3,000 DVDs. Never have I ever bought the same title twice by accident unless I actually wanted a different version.

For example, I have "SAW (Unrated Cut)" but went out and bought "Saw (Theatrical cut)" yesterday because of the different commentary on the DVD and also because the color scheme and the sound mixes are completely different, plus the cut of the film is different as well since it has scenes that are not in the unrated cut.

I've never been to the store and had to ask myself, "Do I own that?" As soon as I see a DVD, I already know whether or not I own it.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Cripes.. I only have about 75 titles and I was about to buy Office Space for the second time the other day! :b

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ OK, you win! :D

There seems to be two basic tenets here: one has to do with memory ability, and the other with "collection" size.

Thing is, somebody with a lousy memory (or more to the point, not well-focussed on specifically what discs they own) may not remember if they have a particular disc, even if they have a small collection. They may have watched a rental disc, or at somebody's house, or their own copy, or all, and may not remember exactly. That's my story, and I'm.....what's the expression?

But I agree, if you don't remember what discs you have, it may be time to do something about it.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
It's not a matter of whether I can remember a movie that I bought the week before, but picked up a second copy because it was cheaper and I had forgotten the first copy. It does not take anything away from the quality of the viewer, so don't try and discourage or put down someone because they forget.

I may forget the duplicate copy in a mad dash of 20 DVDs throughout 1 week, but I can tell you exactly where I was when I saw a movie, usually for every time. Goldmember in theatre #9 - seen 3 times total, Memoirs of the Invisible Man - Different theatre; #2, Flubber - Theatre #4, Better Luck Tommorow - #2.... etc. It's not a big enough deal to put someone down for.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks