What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

It Came From Outer Space to 3-D Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Got a message that my copy is waiting for me at home. I don't have 3D capability yet, but it'll be something to look forward to. :)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I watched my copy last night. I don't have anything original to add, but I was also amazed at the gorgeous 3D picture quality and luscious sound quality. Even the orchestral parts were very clear and realistic. Thanks to everyone who made this release possible.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Gave this a sample the other night (I have to watch it all with the wife) and loved the 3-D on this disc. The telescope scene was neat with a nice pop-out affect. One thing I noticed was the depth of field... foreground is in focus as well as the background which very much helps the 3-D affect. This is lost when contemporary films of today post-convert to 3-D.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I agree with you, Gaston. Modern 3-D films, even those shot in native 3-D, very often "hide their parallax inside the bokeh." That is, they employ a shallow depth of field plus a very small interaxial to hide minuscule parallax values within the "background blur" of any given shot. It is a misguided strategy to ameliorate eyestrain in those dilettante 3-D spectators scattered among any average audience. I invite others to take off their 3-D glasses from time to time when they watch, say, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and see what I mean.

It Came from Outer Space generally has low enough parallax values to allow physically pleasant viewing without diminishing the scale of the stereo effect. In other words, while not overly showy, the 3-D on view here has clearly discernible depth and volume while being very comfortable to watch. Modern filmmakers could learn a lot from It Came from Outer Space.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Just finished watching my copy which arrived today.
Congratulations to all concerned on a beautiful restoration.
I hadn't seen it in 3D since c1981 and it's as impressive now as it was then.
There's so much to enjoy, including the owl on a string and the rubber spider.
The switching between sets and location exteriors must have been a logistical nightmare but makes for some very impressive visuals.
Two questions: why does Putnam's house have a fireplace but no chimney?
Why does Putnam make such a big deal about seeing the aliens' true form at the mine when he's already had a good look much earlier in the movie when his car almost ran over one of them?

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I forgot to mention: When they first get to the impact crater, there's a shot of rocks falling (used twice, because it's so good), and I jumped and chuckled out loud (both times, because it's so fun) when the rocks seemed to jump out into my lap!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
^Golden Age 3-D westerns are long overdue. The only 3-D Blu-Ray version I know of that's planned for release is Gun Fury (1953), which is supposed to be released by TT sometime next year. So that's roughly five years of waiting since Dial M For Murder was released in October 2012.

Last edited:

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I have faith we will get them all remastered for 3D blu-ray, it's been a great year for golden age 3D releases!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sounds like we'll have to wait forever for a 3D blu of "Phantom of the Rue Morgue." :(
And it's one I'd love to see in 3D. During the early 1980s renaissance, House of Wax and Dial 'M' for Murder were trotted back out to theaters where I saw them for the first time, and I always hoped we'd get Kiss Me Kate and Phantom of the Rue Morgue, too, but neither of those ever showed up in my neck of the woods. Now we have Kiss Me Kate on 3D Blu-ray, so I'm still wanting Phantom.

Please, Warners!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
And it's one I'd love to see in 3D. During the early 1980s renaissance, House of Wax and Dial 'M' for Murder were trotted back out to theaters where I saw them for the first time, and I always hoped we'd get Kiss Me Kate and Phantom of the Rue Morgue, too, but neither of those ever showed up in my neck of the woods. Now we have Kiss Me Kate on 3D Blu-ray, so I'm still wanting Phantom.

Please, Warners!

In 2D on TCM - FRIDAY OCTOBER, 21 2016 AT 01:15 AM

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
What's the story on Hondo? Is the 3D print available? I know there's some kind of story where it was shot in 3D but never ran in 3D, or only in limited markets for a limited time. Seems like it was thought to be right at the end of the initial wave of 3D, and they scuttled it or something.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Hondo exists in 3-D. I've seen it projected from a DCP, and I've watched it at home on a now-defunct streaming service, 3DGO. Hondo did play 3-D playdates in 1953 and '54. The Paramount Blu-Ray release a few years ago sadly omitted the 3-D version. Many of us hope for a future 3-D Blu-Ray release, but no definite plans are in place for that, as far as I know.

In my view, the 3-D in Hondo is very well done and really adds to the film. And if you've seen it, perhaps you will agree it is a fine film, even in 2-D.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
What's the story on Hondo? Is the 3D print available? I know there's some kind of story where it was shot in 3D but never ran in 3D, or only in limited markets for a limited time. Seems like it was thought to be right at the end of the initial wave of 3D, and they scuttled it or something.

Hondo had plenty of 3-D playdates:

With an average price of 49-cents a ticket in 1954, HONDO finished up the year with an impressive domestic gross of $4,100,000, a very large percentage of those being stereoscopic playdates. In 1954, HONDO was the 16th highest grossing film of the year, and the 106th top grossing film of all time. After Warner's HOUSE OF WAX, which grossed an astonishing $6,500,000, it was the second highest grossing 3-D film of the 1950's.

More info here:
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/hondo-3-d-release

I saw the DCP of it last year at MoMA and it's spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks