What's new

October Sky - Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When I went to Best Buy to pre-order It Came From Outer Space 3D I found out that October Sky is also available for pre-order with the same October 4th release date. This makes three films on blu-ray (Ghost and Mr. Chicken being the 3rd) that appear to be exclusive to Best Buy.

It appears that Best Buy has some great exclusives, but why no announcements about them? If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't know about these three at all.

Anyway, while it was stated in the It! thread, I created this so others can know about this being released on blu. One of my favorite films that unfortunately didn't do well upon its initial release in 1999, but is an inspiring story that should be more well known and acclaimed.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
The movie is fine, but if you read Homer Hickam's Rocket Boys, the movie pales in comparison. So much left out.

One example:
My details may be a bit off after all these years since I read the book--

As the high-school boys continually experiment with the make-up of their solid-rocket fuel, they were in the habit of tossing a small portion in a furnace (located in the basement of Homer's house) to gauge its effectiveness.

Homer's mom would visit with her neighbor when both were outside, to gossip. One such afternoon, while the two woman were talking, there was a rumble from the Hickam house and its foundation shook. Mrs Hickam's neighbor waited for the noise to end, then nonchalantly said, "School must be out for the day."

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
025192380860;maxHeight=145;maxWidth=222

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/october-sky-blu-ray-disc/32058405.p?id=3622778&skuId=32058405

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The movie is fine, but if you read Homer Hickam's Rocket Boys, the movie pales in comparison. So much left out.

One example:
My details may be a bit off after all these years since I read the book--

As the high-school boys continually experiment with the make-up of their solid-rocket fuel, they were in the habit of tossing a small portion in a furnace (located in the basement of Homer's house) to gauge its effectiveness.

Homer's mom would visit with her neighbor when both were outside, to gossip. One such afternoon, while the two woman were talking, there was a rumble from the Hickam house and its foundation shook. Mrs Hickam's neighbor waited for the noise to end, then nonchalantly said, "School must be out for the day."
Not sure it's fair to criticize because stuff is left out. My favorite movie (To Kill a Mockingbird) is also my favorite adaption of a novel. Still, portions of the book had to be left out. Even some portions that were filmed were cut. It's what happens when you adapt a book to film.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Not sure it's fair to criticize because stuff is left out. My favorite movie (To Kill a Mockingbird) is also my favorite adaption of a novel. Still, portions of the book had to be left out. Even some portions that were filmed were cut. It's what happens when you adapt a book to film.

Fair enough. I do like the movie and will buy the blu-ray. I guess what I'm saying is, if you are fond of the movie you need to read the book. And if you can, get the Random House "Delta" trade paperback that came out at the time the movie was released. It contains eight pages of photographs of the boys, Coalwood, and the mine,

51ksmWnZ2mL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Homer Hickman wrote two other "Coalwood" books--

The Coalwood Way: A Memoir (2001)
Sky of Stone: A Memoir (2002)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. I do like the movie and will buy the blu-ray. I guess what I'm saying is, if you are fond of the movie you need to read the book.

I own all three in hardcover. Great memoirs.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Fair enough. I do like the movie and will buy the blu-ray. I guess what I'm saying is, if you are fond of the movie you need to read the book. And if you can, get the Random House "Delta" trade paperback that came out at the time the movie was released. It contains eight pages of photographs of the boys, Coalwood, and the mine,

View attachment 33669

And that's fair enough. I'm reading a book right now after seeing the movie several times: Absolute Power. I'm enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks