What's new

Issue with projector JVC RS35 (1 Viewer)

PMBen

Agent
Real Name
Pablo Manzano
Hello everyone!

I have a JVC RS35 projector, and I'm very happy with it so far.

My only complaint is that sometimes, when a single shot includes very bright areas next to very dark ones, the light from the bright areas seems to affect the darker areas, making them look slightly washed out. It happens a lot when I watch episodes from The Knick, because that show is full of shots that include great light/darkness contrasts. I tried to diminish the effect by closing down the manual iris a few steps, but found no discernible improvement.

My projection room is totally dark but the walls are not, and they might be reflecting some light, so the problem might be alleviated by dark walls. However, I guess the issue must be a shortcoming of the technology rather than something 100% avoidable.

Could someone with experience with projectors give any advice. Thanks a lot in advance!!

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That's interesting since this professional review specifically highlights the JVC RS35 as NOT having that problem. Still, without an auto iris I am not completely surprised. What picture mode are you typically using when this occurs. The brighter ones usually sacrifice overall picture quality.

PMBen

Agent
Real Name
Pablo Manzano
Thanks a lot for your answer!

I'm using the "normal" preset for gamma, the iris is stopped down to -6 and color saturation is at -10. The lamp is working in eco mode (I don't remember what the name of the preset was, but you know what I mean, it's the "saving energy" mode: since the projector is very near the screen, and I use it in complete darkness, I don't need that many lumens).

The problem I describe doesn't happen too often, in most films it's rare to have it, the blacks are generally astonishing for a projector. But The Knick is full of shots that include blown out whites next to inky dark areas. And clearly the very potent light of the white areas affects the quality of the blacks until the shot changes.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Got ya. That sounds more like some weird anomaly associated with the particular content. JVC D-ILA projectors are renowned for their black levels. I seriously considered one myself recently when I went 4K but ended up going with the Epson 6050UB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks