What's new

Iscan vs. Progressive scan (1 Viewer)

Wah Foo

Auditioning
i just purchased the toshiba 65h80, and i right now i have a normal dvd player, but was wondering what i should upgrade too, whats the differences between iscan and progressive scan, im ignorant to these things, and does anyone know any site where i can read up on anything, and any suggestions on which one i should buy? i like to watch alot of dvd movie, thats all i do not alot of tv

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Wah,
If you are just interested in watching movies, the iScan really isnt the best you cant get. While the iScan offers excellent de-interlaceing for both video and film-based media, it's one disadvantage is that it is EXTERNAL. This means that in order for it to do it's work, it needs to re-digitize the analog video signals it receives, then convert it back to analog. These extra A/D D/A conversions causes a loss of horizontal resolution. However, the iScan currently is one of the best, if not the best, at detecting the 3-2 cadence of film, and creating the original film frame accurately.
Now, progressive-scan DVD players have an advantage over the iScan. They dont need to digitize anything - The data is read off the DVD, and sent into the de-interlaceing chip inside the player. This preserves all the resolution in the picture, and doesnt degrade the overal quality. However, most current progressive scan DVD players de-interlacing schemes arent as good as the iScans. Instead of detecting the 3-2 cadence of fime, most rely on the digital flags on the disc to re-create the original frames from film based material, which arent always set correctly, or at all. Also, if the DVD is video based (not derived from film, such as TV shows shot with a video camera), the progressive scan player's de-interlacing schemes normally lack compared to the iScan's.
If you want the best possible DVD picture quality, I would wait for the Denon 2800. This is a progressive scan DVD player that uses the iScan's chipset to do de-interlacing. So, in theory, you should have all of the iScan's de-interlacing benifits, done digitally from the get-go. However, since this is a DVD player, and not an external device such as the iScan V2 or PRO, you lose the ability to connect multiple sources (LD, VHS etc...).
It's kinda a tough decision for some people, but I only care about the best DVD picture I can get. So its the Denon 2800 for me (if it lives up to the hype).
Hope this helps,
-Ryan Dinan
------------------

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Ryan,
Great post about the new Denon 2800. I had not heard about it until now. I have been considering the Toshiba 6200 for quite some time now. Do you know when Denon is going to begin selling this player? Ecost.com has it up for $599 right now, but says it's currently not available.
Thank You!
PJ

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
since this is a DVD player, and not an external device such as the iScan V2 or PRO, you lose the ability to connect multiple sources (LD, VHS etc...)
There, that says it in a nutshell. If all you do is DVD, a progressive scan DVD player is a good investment. The Denon 2800 sounds very promising.
I went ahead and got the Sony 9000ES for its progressive capabilities, although opinions vary as to if it is the best progressive player for the money. But I'm a Sony snob, so I ignored the reviews. :)
However, I do have LD, TiVo, and a multi-region DVD player that is not progressive. For that reason, and because I have noticed a few video nasties with the line doubler in my Mitsubishi television, I decided to get the iScan Pro.
I am extremely happy with it.
Let me tell ya...my TiVo has one of the worst possible connection chains to my HDTV. The stand-alone TiVo is downstairs and hooked to an old standard definition RPTV, fed by a stand-alone satellite receiver via S-Video. I am taking the TiVo's R/F output on channel 3 and routing that upstairs to my S-VHS VCR. I play that through my A/V receiver. And the A/V receiver connects to the iScan Pro.
So help me, it detects 3-2 pulldown and creates a great picture, all things considered. Sound is mono and a little hissy, but for my time-shifting TV viewing, I don't care. The picture, considering the path the signal is taking, is incredible.
Thumbs up for the iScan Pro.
- Steve

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Perry,
I believe the release date was supposed to be sometime this month, but there arent many days left...
I would aim more more the middle to end of next month before they become widely available. Hopefully I can scrape enough money together to get it....My fiance may not like the idea of it, since we're still saving for our wedding...
wink.gif

Ill beg.....
-Ryan Dinan
B.T.W. - That price on e-cost is the lowest Ive seen - especially since the unit retails for 800 bucks, and it isnt even out yet.. Wow...
------------------

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, let's hope so!
I really want this unit!!
:)
Can you tell?
-Ryan Dinan
------------------

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I noticed something on Denon's web site...
This unit will play MP3's off a CD-R. What a great bonus to hopefully an already great player...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks