Colorstream / DTV video input question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sankar, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Hi all [​IMG]

I have a question regarding the Colorstream vs DTV inputs on an oldler Toshiba RPTV TW65H80 (it preceded the TW65x81). The TV has 2 component (Y/Pb/Pr) inputs labelled as "ColorStream" and "DTV Terminal".

a) The ColorStream jacks according to Toshiba are "available for both Progressive (31.5Khz) and Interlace (15.75Khz) scan systems".

b) The DTV Terminal jacks according to Toshiba are available for "the color difference signals 1080i, 480p and 480i"

The Toshiba manual also shows the DVD connected to ColorStream and the STB connected to DTV TERMINAL/

In the past, I had all my 480i signals converted to 480p (iScan Pro) and fed to the "ColorStream" input. This included TV/DVD/VHS etc.
    The 1080i output however I was feeding to the "DTV Terminal". The reason for this was that I got my 1080i receiver only after I had calibrated the grayscale, geometry, color etc on the ColorStream input using the Avia DVD.

The above required me to set convergence, etc on both inputs as part of my "tweaking and fooling around while looking serious" escapades (whose frequency was inversely correlated with what else I had to do in life was doing.[​IMG] )

I have moved and the TV needs recalibration (I messed up the grayscale and the unit was shipped from CA to NY in a big truck so focus may also be off). I am now wondering if could could just use the DTV Terminal for all my needs using an external video switcher (or the one built into Outlaw 950) to switch between multiple component inputs. I suppose that any HDTV signal is OK ... question is whether I can feed the Y/Pb/Pr output from my iScan Pro also to the same input (not at the same time obviously [​IMG] ). Everything that I can think of says, "yes, you can" ... but I do not have the level of understanding of many here and would love to get some yays or Nays!!

[​IMG]

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

I recently calibrated an older Toshiba, I think it was an H80 series. The TV handles HD and SD signals differently. It needs seperate geometry and convergence adjustments for 480i/p (SD) and 1080i (HD). Gray scale and other controls are carried over, though.
    If I understand your question right, yes you could feed both 480p and 1080i to the same component input (DTV Terminal), provided they are switched properly via the Outlaw, but you'll still need to do geometry/convergence seperately for 480p and 1080i.

3. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Thanks a lot. The basic idea was to try and save an extra component run from the rear of the HT to the front for now. If I were to use both inputs, I'd have to run 2 sets of 45 ft component cables through the wall. If I can stay with the single input idea I could get away with a single run for now.

You have a good point! I remember now that the designer mode settings for 1080i and 480p were different with regards to geometry, contrast, saturation etc. ... but that may actually turn out to be even better ... now I can still spend the same amount of time tinkering with the beast!! :b

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys

Both inputs serve the same function on the first generation tosh. However, CS 2 is labelled specifically as the DTV input. There are separate controls for this input in the designer menu.

In the 2nd generation set, the CS1 and CS2 jacks were the same and you could simply assign the DTV in the user menu, thus being to able to give an independant calibration to it.

the 3rd generation (H80) has a whole different design / menu system.

Regards

Gregg

5. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Thanks Gregg!

If I understand you correctly, the DTV input can indeed be used for my DVD and HD ... right (sorry for being so slow on the uptake!)? From a designer menu grid that I have, it appears that the ColorStream input cannot handle 1080i (but the DTV has adjustments for all modes that the TV can handle)