What's new

Is this Hayley Mills song available commercially? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
When I was 12, the movie IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS had a huge impact on me. For one thing, it was the very first movie to play at the Mt. Kisco (New York) Theater, within easy bike-riding distance from me, and this was a quite magical event (returned three times to see it again). Second, some of the special effects (the flood and the leopard and the giant tree) were awe-inspiring (too bad the P&S DVD sucks!) But then, there was one song in the film that still makes me shiver. It's the only solo by Hayley Mills and is called "The Castaway Song." She sings it while sitting outside of the cave at night where, soon after, an earthquake will send her hurtling down a mountainside atop an iceberg (some of the bad special effects of the movie, which had many). The rest of the songs are truly awful, mostly performed by the (IMO) insufferable Maurice Chevalier. But this one song, brief and mellow, is quite beautiful, with a pretty Mills vocal and gentle, subtle strings. It does not appear to have ever been released commercially, but I am hoping someone will prove me wrong. The recent 5-CD set of classic Disney songs contains the horrible "Enjoy It" but beyond that I can find no recordings containing songs from this movie. Anyone?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Disney did release a soundtrack album in 1962 but I can't imagine it was ever released on CD. I think your fondness for this song has more to do with a sex appeal awareness than any inherent greatness in the song. I am a couple of years younger but found her attractive a couple of years later around 1964.

Chris

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

OMG! This may be the basis for much of my collection.

I'll be clearing out a bunch of music.

This is so embarrassing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks