What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Is this board all consoles all the time? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Convenience and performance were my thoughts. Fellows, just a reminder to not take things personally. Use some restraint.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have a XBox, but my main gaming platform is still my PC.

The console games are king right now because (IMHO) they are turn-key. Buy the system, plug in and every game works. (I'm sitting with a PC copy of Deus Ex 2 that wont run on my PC because of the graphics card :angry: )

The console games are simpler to install, easier to use and in the last 3 years have began to rival the PC for complexity and gameplay. (Having a hard-drive or memory card allows you to play over many days and not loose your place.)

Currently, I am finishing up Call of Duty, I just got the expansion pack for Medal of Honor, and I may re-load Dungeon Siege this weekend.

The console game is nice, but I have a family and it's reall frustrating to them when I take over the Home Theater system to play games. The PC is a better choice in a shared environment.

(But sometimes ... when I am all alone, the haunting sounds of Halo with my 5.1 system and SVS subwoofer can be heard around the house :) )

PS: I just picked up Tom Clancey's Counter Terrorism Classics for $14. It includes Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear and Sum of all fears - Fantastic games even at full-price. Run to CompUSA this week if you like strategic shooters.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

I echo Neil's statement. Just got tired of the upgrades and tweaking necessary for gaming with a PC.

Alanna

Second Unit
Divine Divinity. The game that nearly ruined me on PC gaming in general. I'm glad the thing tanked, it was the buggiest, most godawful looking piece of crud I have seen in years. Gamespot really hyped me on this and I nearly wept after about ten hours of trying to play this...this... "thing" because I had paid $50 for it. :frowning:

I agree with everyone that has said comfort is number one. :)

Keith Pepling

Auditioning
Todd, that is indeed the Bard's Tale, made by the guy who started it. It is one part remake, one part new game and looks pretty sweet from what i've seen. It is not a PC only game though as I believe it also coming to XBox and PS2.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Keith,

Cool deal. Those were some great games. I checked out the screenshots at Gamespot. They look cool but part of me wishes they had kept the first person perspective of the originals. I am very keen to see what they make of this classic series.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Can't say I agree. Never had a single problem running (or playing through) the game nor did I have any issue with the graphics as they served the game well. Most of the issues the game did have were quickly patched and fixed (almost within two weeks of the games release). To each thier own I guess....

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Hey Romier, I did see the upcoming remake of Bard's Tale, and the new Vampire: The Masquerade game based on the Half-Life 2 engine, I believe?

I was vaguely interested in Vampire (having always wanted to play the last Vampire RPG but never got around to it), and having been terribly addicted for a while to Jyhad/V:TM card game at college.

I like the idea of the Bard's Tale remake, but it went from a 1st person turn-based RPG to a 3rd person action/rpg. Never really liked action RPGs. And Bard's Tale as one seems weird.

I feel the same way about action/rpgs them as I do RTSs. If I want an actiony RPGish game I'd go hit up Devil May Cry (or Zelda: WW for that matter, which I started playing seriously a few weeks ago), or Maximo, or go back to playing online FPSs.

And I do plenty of stuff with my PC, but only when necessary. I didn't mind upgrading, but I generally do it in necessary spurts. I'll talk about PC stuff at work with my nerdy counterparts, but I don't upgrade for fun - plenty of other stuff to spend what little money I have on.

I went from K6-2 350/Voodoo3 to Athlon 750/original Radeon
to Athlon XP 1800/Radeon 8500. I pretty much stopped at that point for now.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think I saw a review of it on X-PLay last night and they didn't give it much of a good review.

For FPS games, I have to defer to a PC. I just can't get used to an Xbox Controller or any other for that matter. I'm just so used to using a keyboard and mouse.

Sports Games on the other hand and racing games are better on the console.

For me anymore, I only use my pc for Battlefield.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Wrong game Shane. Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines is early in development by Troika Games (the folks behind Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil) and is indeed using the Half-Life 2 engine. It is also not due out until the end of the year. Not unless X-play started reviewing alpha product (if Troika has even reached that stage yet);).

You may be thinking of Vampire The Masquerade Redemption which was developed by Nihilistic Software who are currently hard at work on Starcraft Ghost with Blizzard Entertainment.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
OK, second apology. I didn't mean to get snippy in that last post.

As for the "something to plug into the stereo" comment, that was not a commentary on consolers, but more an acknowledgement of the whole forum (including myself). Let's be honest, if we weren't all a little gadget-happy, we wouldn't be posting here, would we?

The "sheesh" was meant to be teasing, not condescending. Most of the times I get into PC vs console arguments in RL it involves large doses of tongue-in-cheek teasing from both sides. Since I've seen the same thing on other game-related message boards, I assumed the same thing would be taken the same way here.

As for some of the other comments, upgrading drivers only takes a couple of minutes. If you're using dial up instead of broadband, it'll take a little longer but still hardly any skin off your teeth. Even if you're not gaming you should regularly update your video and sound card drivers for stability's sake.

I almost never buy a game when it first comes out because I don't like to reward game companies for shoving buggy crap out the door. I usually wait for at least a couple of bug patches before spending my hard-earned dough. Older games also tend to have lower hardware requirements, which safely keeps you off the upgrade treadmill. :) Of course, I stay away from "twitch" games (I have the reflexes of a dead possum), so hardware performance isn't as much of an issue with the games I buy.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
One thing that is nice about PC games is that they tend to drop in price a lot faster than console games. So while the initial hardware price is higher (way higher) the games tend to run a little cheaper if you wait a few months.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
"It might cost a lot now, but you save money in the long run."

-Gaming God Bob Vila

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks