What's new

Is this board all consoles all the time? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Doesn't seem like too many folks around here are into PC games, particularly those PC staples: strategy and role playing games.

Is there something about home theater that makes people more inclined to indulge consoles? Perhaps because it's one more thing you can plug into your stereo? :)

*Goes back to playing Civilization III*

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Maybe cause they're the only thing worth playing. ;)

There is occasionally PC related stuff here, but it's rare, and probably is tied to the HT aspect of it.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I actaully used to play quite a few PC games as well as consoles, but over the last couple years I've found myself less and less inclined to play much of anything on PC. Part of it is the HT aspect of playing games on my Xbox, but another is that PC gaming just got to be more trouble than it's worth in many cases. There were the relentless hardware upgrades, crappy performance, and strange incompatabilities to deal with that consoles just don't have. Case in point-Tron 2.0 just does not work with my Radeon 7500 video card (even though the website claims otherwise). Since I'm not going out and buying a new video card just to play one game, I'd rather just wait for an Xbox port.

While there are still advantages to PC gaming, they are slipping away fast. The only stuff I'll play on PC these days are things that are PC exclusive (with the odd exception such as Morrowind).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Sums it up nicely for me. I've always been a big PC gamer, but lately I've just not been into it that much. It's time to upgrade the machine again, and frankly at this point, I can't be bothered. Although I am still playing "Age of Mythology" now and then. ;)

Playing with my stereo and big TV is cool too. It's nice to take advantage of the comfort of my living room, as opposed to sitting at my desk. Plus, IMHO, XBox Live has on-line PC gaming beat. But that is just me.

Now, I need to open this can. What's this? Worms?

;)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I agree with Chris. PC gaming became too much of a pain in the arse with upgrades, compatibility, etc. PC gaming is still the platform of choice, but since the Xbox is essentially a dedicated gaming PC that merges with my HT setup, the gaming experience became even more immersive. So for half the price of a good video card, I have a complete gaming system that is more reliable, fun and immersive than the 2000 dollar rig I had to constantly maintain.

Alanna

Second Unit
I have played quite a few PC games, and am more inclined to finish them than console games. The thing of it is is that I hate FPS and any game with a "US military" type theme. Those were cool when they first came out but everytime I hear someone wax on about Medal of Honor: Whatever I just want to puke. My favs on the PC were Diablo 1 & 2, Warcraft 2 & 3, Heroes of Might and Magic 2 & 3 (4 kinda sux), Planescape: Torment, Majesty (bought it twice - once when it came out then again for the "Gold" version with expansion, sweet game), Zoo Tycoon, Sim Golf, all the Disciples games and Age of Mythology. I had a very unfortunate experience with a highly rated PC RPG a year or so ago that turned out to be pure crap and haven't played as much recently. Console games just seem to grab me more lately. I also don't like PC gamers attitudes (the vocal ones about the hobby seem to be about the age of 14 with an inferiority complex) thus making the entire experience an unpleasant one.

I'm thinking about upgrading my PC just for Worlds of Warcraft though...

Also most PC games I have wanted and played recently (Prince of Persia, Beyond Good and Evil, Lord of the Rings: ROTK, etc) are available on XBox and I'd rather play these games with the XBox controller than a PC configuration.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

All I said was that I enjoy playing Civ 3 and this somehow means I have a superiority complex?

Again, I'm terribly sorry.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Paul, I didn't see anything condescending in his comments.

It looked like he was just making an observation.

Later, Rick

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Paul: Maybe you didn't mean to be condescending, but the post title--especially "Sheesh"--certainly came off as eye-rolling. The comment about "one more thing to plug into [our] stereos" as if that was all it took to make us happy, and the fact that you had to put the little bit about Civ3 in there certainly reads like condescenion. Maybe it's the imperfection of the internet as an emotional filter, but maybe you could have expressed yourself a little better.

Me? I never drink coffee, to keep me nasty and biting on forums that have no meaning outside our hobbies. Probably because I can't talk politics.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
While most here do consoles, I do my gaming more still on the PC. There is still nothing compared to slugging it out in a 32 man online fragfest, target rich environment so to speak. And as for RTS or RPG, I'm still PC.
Actually, I only go and try and play Live games just so I can play with HTF members. Of course, I get to make some other friends over there.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Three things for me:

#1 Something about lying on the couch is appealing :)

#2 There's the hometheater thing.

#3 PC games can be dangerously addictive. Installing CIV3 on my PC has serious ramifications on the rest of my life :)

Or you could have ignored him rather than assume he was insulting 'console gamers' and you could have accepted his apology rather than telling him to express himself better.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Actually, just thought of another reason that I've spurned the PC in favour of my consoles. About eight months ago, I started playing Morrowind on PC, and finished it in two weeks. This meant a LOT of hours. After these two weeks, I started having really bad lower back pain, which I think I've discovered was caused by a crappy computer chair. The solution-play more games on my Xbox in my comfy couch (which means that back doesn't get near as angry).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I've gone the other way, die-hard console gamer to 99% PC. I have a lot of consoles but I dunno.. I tried to play Zelda WW (that I reserved well in advance) and it just seems too monotonous.

Halo 2 will have me going back to consoles. Right now I'm in a MOH:AA clan and playing CC: Zero Hour. My PC is also hooked to the theater for the record.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I stopped playing PC games (mostly) because there isn't much in my genres anymore.

I don't like the RTS point-and-click-o-fests, I like real strategy games. Precious few decent ones floating around these days (I didn't really dig Civ3 for some reason, although I loved Civ2). My latest strategy game that I enjoyed was Dynasty Tactics (albeit combat-focused).

I have zero interest in hack-n-slash MMORPGs - I play RPGs for the story and for the strategy/challenge. Hordes of MMORPGs are coming out for PCs, but no true RPGs (minus the aforementioned Morrowind, perhaps, and Neverwinter nights, although more real-time).

And I only really enjoyed playing FPS (quake II) with people I know on a LAN - it was awesome at college. Don't dig playing over the net.

I noticed someone else mentioned ergonomics - my PC is much less ergonomic (some nasty wrist issues last year make me cautious, plus a little lingers still). My more-ergonomic PS2/Gamecube/SNES/Saturn/Dreamcast controller, on my comfy couch, with my bigger TV, and better speakers, appeals to me a lot more.

The hardware curve on video cards for FPSs is very irritating. Not all of us like a video card update every year or two (running a Radeon 8500 at home).

Baldur's Gate II and Heroes 3/4 are really all I've really played in quite a while.

Short version: PC gaming at this time is dominated by real-time strategy, first-person shooters, Massively Multiplayer Online RPGs, and the Sims.
When they start making more games I really want to play again: turn-based RPGs, real strategy games (like Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Civ type games etc), I'll grab them. Or when Bioware makes Baldur's Gate III :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a demographics thing: people who are really into PC games are usually really into PCs. That is, they have the latest and greatest hardware, and in some cases it's a requirement because if you try to play the latest FPS like Unreal 2004 or whatever, with old hardware and compete online--you're screwed.

Constant PC upgrading is a drain on the finances *and* time, just like constant HT upgrading and tweaking. Most people can only fight one battle at a time, and so people who are PC upgraders probably "in general" don't have the time or money to get seriously into HT.

Meanwhile, for those of us HT nuts who like to game, consoles are the "quick, cheap fix" for that itch!

Truce? :)

Okay, okay...it gives me something to plug into my stereo as well! :D

(although now I have to get a switcher since after XMas my roommies and I have all three whereas before we were an XBox house!)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Most of the PC games discussed on the forum are online-capable games with either strategy or military FPS elements. I'm not really into those types of games. Granted, these are now a hit on the consoles as well (just look at all the threads devoted to online military or warfare games)... but give me a good quest adventure, shooter, puzzle, racer, or platformer any day.

Besides, my PC is about eight years old (that's 1,000 years old in computer years!) and will not run any of the new games (and I do not make enough money to save for a new one). So I can only play the new games in their console counterparts.

I do see why people like the PC versions a lot of the time, though. The graphics are often a lot better and many of the games requiring keyboard configurations and hard drives can be much deeper. Many of the games are less expensive, too.

I guess what I'm saying is: I like PC games a whole lot, but the main subgenre interest shown here (military/FPS warefare simulators), plus my antiquated set up, mean I don't have a lot to add (yet... maybe someday).

~s

Joe D

Supporting Actor
There hasn't been a lot of PC games released in a while that really excited me.

I am waiting for Thief III, Half Life 2, and Doom 3.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Theres plenty of single player RPG product coming. Ranging from the classic action RPG to the indepth story heavy type. Problem is its mostly lower key stuff that the gaming press doesn't bother to give big coverage too. Here are some examples:

Sacred

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines (this ones getting plenty of coverage)

The Bards Tale

Beyond Divinity (Followup to the criminally overlooked Divine Divinity)

Bloody Magic

Freedom Force and the Third Reich

I of the Dragon

Neverend

The Witcher

Not too mention the RPG's currently on the market that many haven't bothered to give a chance like Divine Divinity, Gothic, Gothic II (Both of which are fantastic) and also Arx Fatalis. There are plenty of single player RPGS's coming just need to look for'em underneath the horde of MMO's;).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks