What's new

Is this actually a Doctor Who box set? (1 Viewer)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
bbcamericashop offers a Robert Holmes collection

I have these already but is this an actual boxset? It just shows three individual DVD cases but it could be a box and they just don't have a pic up, otherwise, why are the others not shown?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Not listed among items that Warner distrtibutes, according to WB records. I suspect this is a bundle BBCAmerica put together themselves, and I doubt there's a slipcover they go into.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
But Pyramids of Mars isn't even Robert Holmes. Unless there's something I don't know, it was written by Stephen Harris.

ClaireW

Auditioning
Hi,

According to my husband who is a Doctor Who historian the original script for Pyramids of Mars was based upon an idea by Lewis Greifer (an Egyptologist) who was commissioned and wrote a draft script for the BBC. However, the production team were unhappy with the script and the Script Editor, Robert Holmes was hastily pressed into writing a new script. At that time in the BBC it was officially against BBC policy for a script editor to write and be credited for a full script, hence Holmes was forced to use the pseudonym Robert Harris. When policies were relaxed at the BBC he was later to get the credit he deserved for this marvellous story.

A similar situation happened with "The Brain of Morbius" which was a collaboration of Holmes and Terrance Dicks. When trying to decide a pseudoynm Dicks suggested to Holmes that he picked something bland. Hence, when Morbius aired it was credited to "Robin Bland" :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Oh, of course, the Script Editor pseudonym situation. Same thing happened on City of Death, with Douglas Adams calling himself David Agnew. I should have thought of that.

Still, it's a bit confusing, since the box is promoted on the basis of the author, for one story to be credited under a different name.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Speaking of "City of Death", when the heck is this episode coming to DVD? It's one of my personal favorites.

Cheers

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
My mother-in-law ordered something called The Jane Austin Collection which was just five separate VHS tapes shipped together. That said, the Jane Austin DVD Collection DID have a printed cardboard cover holding the DVDs together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks