Is there a way to prevent my web images from appearing on someone's cache folder?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Baranyi, Oct 6, 2003.

1. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

Through HTML encryption, I was able to prevent most methods of image theft on my web site, but there is one problem: the cache folder. This folder not contains web pages but also the images associated with them. Any sophisticated image thief knows how to find the cache folder on his computer and take any image from my web site. This disturbs me.

Is there a way to prevent images from appearing on someone's cache folder?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It's real easy to grab images off sites. You can Print Screen just about anything pixel for pixel.

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I don't think so. For the person to see the image it has to be sent to their computer, and they control how things are cached on their system. The only way to prevent this would be to not show the images at all, I think.

If you find a way to do it I would be interested in knowing what it is.

4. Lary Larson

Lary Larson Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure this is what you need, but I think you can prevent a page from being cached using a META tag. Check here.

5. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

Larry, the META tag is for pages only. I already use a scheme (not a META tag) to prevent page caching.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    David,

Your web server sends the image to their computer. It has to be inside the computer and on the graphic card to be seen on their screen. How would you prevent anyone to keep it a bit longer?
    BTW, html-pages can always be copied too. You cannot prevent that.

Even, they don't have to use a well-known browser.

Cees

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

If I can see it on my screen, I can grab it. There's nothing you can do about that, AFAIK.
    But, ditto this-

9. Michael_Gamrat

Michael_Gamrat Auditioning

If they know the filename, couldn't they just make and http request to your server from a command prompt? Then, the file would go into any directory that they wanted, instead of just the cache dir.

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Did you guys go this his site? It disabled screen caps via windows, and 2 screen cap apps I had also failed.

http://www.megamii.com

And there is no way to find the file names because all the links are hidden in buttons, source code is diusabled, and so are all the file and edit menus.

In order to get in, I had to save off the opening page, find the link to the second index (http://www.megamii.com/index2.html) and from there- new window navigation had the proper toolbars (in Mozilla atleast), which allowed for saving the files and looking at the code.

Once I got to a poster page, I couldn't right click but I could save and get the html code... I got into the page source for the files but the img scr tags end up invalid if entered directly... But if you save the page in mozilla, it just saves all the content- so I got the files no problem- all done within maybe 1 minute...

Most of the files were broken into two parts- and a and b element... and so you'd have to put them together into one...

One thing that would help you would setup every page under index2 to open the next page with no toolbar, forcing someone who bypassed the opening (like I did) to look up the links in each step in order to get a browser with proper toolbars to save you images.

The only way to protect content is not to publish it.

-Vince

12. MarkHastings

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Odd, didn't work for me. I tried all the poster pages, hitting print screen (or alt-printscreen) didn't copy it to the clipboard. Weird.

14. MarkHastings

15. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Seems legally comparable to prior restraint... usuallythe law sides with freedom and punishment for offenses over restrictions in the name of preventing them- at least in cases of speech.

16. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Illegal like against the law? As long as it doesn't affect the functioning of the button otherwise, which I don't see how it could.

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

When that site disables screenshots, it is disabling functionality even outside of that window. I minimized it, and was still unable to use the print screen function for other windows. I couldn't use print screen until I actually closed that window.

It looks more like a security exploit than a security function, IMO.

-Dave

18. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    Check this page out.

Go to www.flytecomm.com

on the left click the orange button to track a flight.
    The easiest way is to pick an arrival and departure airport (say LA and NY)

In the list of flights for the day....click on one that is in flight currently. When you print the page.....the picture of the map with the plane on it will not print. It will print the page....just where the map should go it puts another gif image there saying Authorization error.

When you right click on the picture of the map with the plane in flight....it will save another .gif file to your disk (Not the one with the map)......one that says you are not authorized to view the picture. There is a law that forbids them from providing a way for you to print out the pictures of plane in flight and their relative position in the air.....and my print screen function seems to be disabled as well.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????????

19. MarkHastings