What's new

Is there a way to get Malena uncensored on DVD... (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
without owning a region free player?

I'd like to watch the film, but I know that the region 1 DVD is cut (Hey, Mirimax, the audience Malena is targeting aren't prudes), and I'd like to see it unedited.

I was wondering if there were any upcoming or release Region 0 or Canadian pressings that were uncensored?

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
What is supposed to have been cut? I saw this theatrically--didn't care for it either, FWIW--and it didn't exactly skimp on depicting nudity, if that's the issue.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Miramax are notorious for butchering their foreign and indie pickups.

The U.S. censored version is 92 minutes...the original Italian release was 106 minutes, that's 14 minutes missing.

From the Variety review:

The director is supervising cuts to modify nudity and sexual content in line with censorship concerns in North America, where a number of fantasy scenes involving a teenage boy and a naked adult woman appear too provocative for general consumption.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
ahh..., MIRAMAX...they specailize in finding Foreign films that they think American audiences will "take" to, ie: theyre not too....shall we say...'difficult' ...and then they "fix" them up to suit those tastes... ie: do well at the box office. I understand they have cut, reedited or '"improved" several films in the past, just for 'our' tastes......

Thanks, MIRAMAX, but I would rather see the Directors originally intended film...

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The Italian DVD is uncut, but (apparently) has no English subs. Truly a REAL shame...

Unless some grey market company wants to subtitle the full-length version, I'm not sure how you can go about seeing it. I might have to pick up that Italian DVD sometime, despite not being able to understand whatever dialogue is inherent in those 'extended' scenes...

Monica Belluci is a babe, BTW. I wonder if the extras from the French BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF DVD (which also features a lot of Monica) will make it Stateside? I'm not crossing my fingers...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I did buy the R2 (Italian) version w/ no subs. I watched the cut R1 w/ subs to get the gist of the story and then bought R2 because more Monica is a good thing! :D
Yeah, Harvey Scissorhands did a number on this wonderful film...

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw the longer version of "Cinema Paradiso" by the same director. That version, in my opinion, is so much better. Now I can hardly wait for the longer version of Malena. Maybe one day Miracut will get that version for us.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Miramax will never release an uncut version. I'm praying that somehow they accidently release the uncut Shall we Dance? , they've restored full-length on a few DVDs

I have no idea what Miramax cut from SWD, all I know is that it's 18 minutes, probably ths subplot involving his wife and daughter.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I'm always hoping Miramax will re-visit Sirens, with an animorphic transfer and any edited footage. I once saw a copy in Half Price Books with either French or German labeling, and different cover art. Can anyone tell me anything about what I might have seen? (I should've bought it just out of curiosity, but didn't!)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I felt that the extended version of Cinema Paradiso was MUCH worse than the original, beautiful cut. However, to compare the extended version of CP to Malena isn't really fair, since Malena was edited from its original theatrical vision for American audiences... what a cop out line... I would LOVE to see the entire film.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Chris, given that Miramax is engaging in an unneccessary and foolhardy remake which starts filming very soon for release next spring, I'm guessing the DVD will come out at the same time as the remake's theatrical or DVD release

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Christ, I didn't even know the R1 version of Malena is cut! I was thinking of renting it or buying it here in Canada, but knowing this, I'll pass. :angry:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Max, most of the cuts involve a bit of nudity w/ Malena and the young boy (he fantasizes about her) - it's kind of a major plot point in the film. He's, I don't know, probably around 15 or so, but since it's taboo, I guess that's why Harvey Scissorhands cut it. There wasn't anything explicit in it, just him imagining her w/o any clothes on. Having been that age once, I can tell you that definitely happens in real life. :p)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I saw some nude footage from Malena that I downloaded from the internet (USENET). I guess those were cut from the R1 release. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks