What's new

Is there a benefit of having component in/out on a receiver? (1 Viewer)

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
The Sony DB940 doesn't have component in/out, but the DB1070 does. Would the benefit be the ability to run the progressive dvd player to the receiver, and from the receiver to the TV?
How is that a benefit over running the dvd directly to the tv?

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
None, except for convenience. If you don't want your DVD on top of your set, or if you have your equipment in a closet or rack that is a distance from your TV, then there are no advantages to using the component ins on your receiver.
Some might say there is some signal degradation, but with S-video, I've never seen it, and I'm sure with component video there would be little or no signal degradation.
Sam

PaulKH

Second Unit
If your components (DVD, tuner, VCR) etc. don't go through the receiver, but instead go direct to the TV, then when you want to switch sources you not only have to switch receiver (audio) sources but also TV inputs. I've programmed my Marantz RC5000 remote to do all this for me fortunately, so when I select 'DVD' my receiver goes to that (digital) input and my TV goes to 'component 1' input.
So if everything went through the receiver it would be easier EXCEPT - most receivers don't convert one input format to another so unless every input you have is the same video type, you'll probably STILL end up switching inputs on the receiver... oh well.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
John,
If you happen to have more than one device with component outputs (progressive DVD player, HDTV DirecTV receiver, etc.) and only one component input on your TV then it would be an advantage but otherwise no.
Patrick
------------------
Evidence of my obsession.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
The only benifit is if you need a component video switch because you have more inputs than your tv ...I guess there would also be another benefit ... on screen menu. Also make sure the receiver can pass the full 1080i signal. Otherwise you just have a dvd switcher.
[Edited last by Massimo N on October 28, 2001 at 01:26 PM]

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Thanks for clearing this up. I will just run the S700P DVD directly to the 36HS20 TV.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
What if you have an older tv like I do, that has only (1) S-video input? Eventually, I want to add a dvd to go with my vcr & satellite dish. Would this be of any benefit to me??
------------------
May God Guide and Guard the USA!

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Brad,
If your TV has only one s-video input and you have several s-video sources, then something has to select among them. A receiver will switch both audio and video at the same time, but you'll need to make sure you get one that has enough inputs.
If your TV does not have a component input, then it doesn't affect whether or not the receiver should include component switching. Instead, you might want to think ahead for when you'll be upgrading your TV to one that does accept component video. It provides noticably better color than does s-video. These days even the entry level DVD players have component video outputs. I assume your satellite receiver does, too.
------------------
Selden

Brad Newton

Second Unit
In the future I do want to upgrade to a HDTV. My satellite receiver is dish 4900. I do not believe that it has component outs. I know that it has optical out. So I should be looking for a receiver that is capable of component switching - correct? I am looking at the Denon 3802 & the Onkyo 898. The Onkyo is supposed to have the higher bandwidth for component switching (I think that is what I read). Anyone know if that is true. My present satellite picture is as good via coax as it is on S video & I want to keep it that way if possible.
------------------
May God Guide and Guard the USA!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks