What's new

is there a 'beginner diy subwoofer thread' ??? (1 Viewer)

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
hi guys, Im searching for (2) speakers to replace my crap at home. I have been audiotioning speakers at local hi-fi stores. They had their sub turned on for some demo tracks. I was blown away. Ive heard a sub in an HT before but never like this one. it made my chest cave in. it was krell or something like that. way too many 0's for me to pay attention. BUT, ive read here that diy subs can be done inexpensive but blow away mfrd subs for the price.
I have a $600 to $800 budget on 2 speakers, if I was to buy 2 good bookshelf 2-ways for $600+ I was thinking I could use the rest, and probably squeeze a bit more as time goes on, for a diy sub. Id have to sell my car 3 times to pay for the sub I heard :frowning:

just wanted to know where to go to read up on all this??

i found subwoofers 101, but was looking for info on specific kits and whatnot. any help is appreciated :)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
There are literally hundreds of kit speakers. Trying to list them would take forever.

This is where your best bet is google loudspeaker kit search

For a sub you really don't need to pay the added costs involved in getting a kit, unless of course you want a pretty finished cabinet.

Here are some names of some companies that sell kits and raw components. Again use google for more info about them and their products. Note that this isn't a comprehensive list. These are companies I've done business with and can recommend them.

Adire Audio, Parts Express, Madisound, Speaker City, Zalytron, Meniscus, North Creek, AE Speakers (aka Stryke)

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Thomas, I was specifically looking for sub kits.

but Ill check out adire's site.

I should have explained better, im still looking at mains but without hearing them is hard to make a decision on. edit: so im most likely getting brand name mains

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Charlie, why don't you go with kits for the mains as well? I'm sure there's a few users on here that could point you down that road.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Dave, somehow I think I've read an article in one of my audio mags that was written by you. It may have been for Sound & Vision.

Anyway, back on topic: I'm immensely pleased by the performance of my latest project, a Stryke Thunder 12.3 cabinet with two 15" PRs and an AV12 woofer. Though its output at 20 Hz is limited not by the cone's excursion but by the available excursion of the twin 15" passive radiators. With 500w it is already shaking the house by that point as well. I can crank the music to extremely loud levels with no shift in the tonal balance of the system towards the high range. That's what happens when your sub runs out of gas before your reciever or whatever's driving your mains. This sub does have limits, and it's no SVS B4+ killer, at least in that respect. The only limits I've been able to find on this subwoofer design have been with sine wave test tones at loud levels.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Charlie,

I am one of the new kids on the block, but have been through what you are going through.

Mains dont have to be floorstanders. If you are leaning mostly towards HT, check out JBL's E30s & E50s at Best Buy. Their EC35 center aint half bad either.
Once you listen to them, Google some better prices.

E30s are ~200.00pr.
E50s are ~300.00pr.

The E30s (to me) sound REALLY good, of course this is just my opinion, & I cant hear worth cr@p...... :D

These numbers are high, but I'm on my way to go riding &
dont wanna look. ;)

Adire has plans for their Tempest & Shiva subs (& others),
but you should look at them.

Warning:
The little things add up, & unless you already have tools,
it can get expensive.

parts alone for a Tempest sub would be BARE minimum $350.00
(guys correct me if I'm wrong). Not trying to scare ya, just
trying to give you some idea......

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
I believe a sealed tempest will be me the FR I want. dont need loud but low. ive upped my budget a bit to hopefully accomodate. what is the minimal amp size for this? I can start hitting pawn shops :)

RodN

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with with Cam here. The tools, screws, glue, sandpaper, etc can really add up if you don't have any of it yet.

They are very rewarding though, it's great to say, "I built it myself"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks