What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I don't recall The Farmer's Daughter airing on CBN. Were the prints better than the best 66 episodes I carefully chose from the William Windom Tribute Site YouTube channel and posted here back in 2021?
Speaking of William Windom, why still no decent copies of "My World, and Welcome to it"? Any ideas? I sure seems that there are fans of the show, content avaiability? Quality issues? All I have seen are dubious "Bad VHS" level examples going around (Youtube, Archive.org, etc).

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Speaking of William Windom, why still no decent copies of "My World, and Welcome to it"? Any ideas? I sure seems that there are fans of the show, content avaiability? Quality issues? All I have seen are dubious "Bad VHS" level examples going around (Youtube, Archive.org, etc).
Here's the best quality you'll likely ever see.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Just received the following shipping notice:

IMG_0151.jpeg

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall The Farmer's Daughter airing on CBN. Were the prints better than the best 66 episodes I carefully chose from the William Windom Tribute Site YouTube channel and posted here back in 2021?
Don't know about the youtube videos. In the videotaping era, the only two places the show ran, which I'm aware of, were CBN, very badly cut to just under twenty two minutes, and Dallas, where they ran longer, maybe 23 and a half. The only complete episodes would be ones transferred from 16mm.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Don't know about the youtube videos. In the videotaping era, the only two places the show ran, which I'm aware of, were CBN, very badly cut to just under twenty two minutes, and Dallas, where they ran longer, maybe 23 and a half. The only complete episodes would be ones transferred from 16mm.
Thanks. Must be the same prints. Most of those on YouTube run 22:08 or less. What does Dallas mean, are you referring to a tv station in the city of Dallas which aired The Farmer's Daughter?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. Must be the same prints. Most of those on YouTube run 22:08 or less. What does Dallas mean, are you referring to a tv station in the city of Dallas which aired The Farmer's Daughter?
Yes. Dallas was a fantastic market for shows which had little syndication in the 1980s.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I guess you weren't a videotape trader because those of us who were in the hobby long before DVD, knew all about the best markets, which ones ran shows uncut, etc.
You are correct. I had enough trouble finding the time to watch the thousands of VHS, Super-VHS, and D-VHS tapes I accumulated let alone reaching out to folks all over the country. Now all those tapes belong in the dumpster but because I hate throwing things out they take up the space equal to a large bedroom. :)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
You are correct. I had enough trouble finding the time to watch the thousands of VHS, Super-VHS, and D-VHS tapes I accumulated let alone reaching out to folks all over the country. Now all those tapes belong in the dumpster but because I hate throwing things out they take up the space equal to a large bedroom. :)
I still have all the Columbia House VHS tapes I bought (mostly around year 2000 or so) but not just because of nostalgia. The fact that I paid $20 for each two-hour tape ($5 for first tape) makes them hard to throw away.

The Twilight Zone (19 tapes, since replaced with complete DVD set.)
Soap (complete set, replaced with DVDs of seasons 1&2)
Barney Miller (5 tapes, stopped because tapes 2-4 had one edited episode each.)
Space: 1999 (all 10 tapes, since replaced with Series One DVD set.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I still have all the Columbia House VHS tapes I bought (mostly around year 2000 or so) but not just because of nostalgia. The fact that I paid $20 for each two-hour tape ($5 for first tape) makes them hard to throw away.

The Twilight Zone (19 tapes, since replaced with complete DVD set.)
Soap (complete set, replaced with DVDs of seasons 1&2)
Barney Miller (5 tapes, stopped because tapes 2-4 had one edited episode each.)
Space: 1999 (all 10 tapes, since replaced with Series One DVD set.
I can relate. I'd say about 95% of my collections have been replaced by physical and digital media. Also most of my decks are worn out from tremendous use. I'm sure I spent far more time recording than viewing.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I never had any qualms throwing out something if I'd been able to upgrade it. Whatever I paid for something else in the past is a long-ago cost that I just consider the payment made to enjoy it at the time. Hanging on to an obsolete format in low quality would be like hanging on to an old car after getting a new car.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Yes. Dallas was a fantastic market for shows which had little syndication in the 1980s.
The Dallas station ran shows like Our Miss Brooks, The Millionaire, and Wendy and Me as well as Farmer's Daughter and shows that had more exposure like Gunsmoke and Naked City. There was also a station in St. Cloud (I think), MN with the nick name TV Heaven that ran The Detectives and Life of Riley among others.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I never had any qualms throwing out something if I'd been able to upgrade it. Whatever I paid for something else in the past is a long-ago cost that I just consider the payment made to enjoy it at the time. Hanging on to an obsolete format in low quality would be like hanging on to an old car after getting a new car.
I hardly think some shelf space in a closet Is equivalent to the space an old car would take up.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I hardly think some shelf space in a closet Is equivalent to the space an old car would take up.

That might be true if movies on disc was the only thing one acquired/collected.

In my case, the closets are already full of other crap. My wife is currently taking possession of her mother's genealogical research materials, which needs a lot of space that we need to find in the house. That's on top of our combined book collections.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
For those preparing to purge old vhs recordings, I’d recommend an ebay sold items search. For some reason certain off the air home recordings seem to sell for a surprising amount. Other people sell them as a lot for reuse.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Kindle proved to be a godsend for paring down the number of books I own. If there's a Kindle version of something I have, I get it. And then I just donate the books through a book drop.

The next time I move I'm likely going to get rid of all my CDs once I make sure all are digitized at max quality level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks