What's new

Is Six Feet Under in HD? (Starts 3/2/03!) (1 Viewer)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
My only question about the "it's for real scenario" are the "Vanilla Sky-like" flashes that Nate keeps having. The way that two analogous realities seem to be intruding upon each other is what has me wondering if what I'm seeing is real.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Roberto,

The way I saw that was
the earlier "deja vu"s were just quick flashes, while for the one at the end with Lisa and the baby, Nate remembers the whole thing in detail, since that was the one closest to reality.

Ryan

Dan B

Screenwriter
Interesting. I did not really consider at the end of the episode that Nate might still be on the operating table.
After the way this episode started off though, you never know. I had a moment of screaming "no f***in' way!" before I came to my senses & thought "yeah right".

Like Quentin, I too have a feeling that Claire is going to make some bad choices...or maybe it'll be Ruth! ;)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, it's all real. I don't think they would have wasted the time to have Catherine O'Hara implanted into an hour-long dream sequence.

The whole episode seemed sorta 'awkward' to me. Maybe it's just because the first episode of the new season for any show is always a little 'off' since they need to setup so many things and explain so much. Maybe it's just me.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Shawn,

I think a bit of awkwardness might have arose from the fact that they jumped eight or so months into the future.

Is it just me or is Rico becoming an annoying whiner? Man, can that guy nag! :D

Any bets on if/when Brenda will show her face again?

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Thanks, Ryan. Now that I think about it (BTW, I've already thought about this one hour of television more than I have about the combined output of the major networks for the past three years) Nate's Vanilla Sky-like flashes
may be a cinematic depiction of his pondering over the choices he's made. Or, then again, maybe not.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Well I didn't think he was still on the operating table at the end of the show, but If I catch it again, I'll give it some thought. Interesting to say the least. I think I may have hooked my roomate on the show and he hasn't seen the past 2 seasons and has issues with death. He said that the characters were all interesting and may be worth watching. I did the same to him with the Sopranos this past fall.

I was shocked that they may have killed a main character so early. I bought it all. Good to see that he isn't, (or may not be yet)

Can anybody point me to a site or somewhere where I can read a recap of season 2. I can't remember if I saw it on reruns or if I'm still thinking of season 1. Thanks in advance.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
That's an interesting take Glenn. Overall it was a bizzare episode - someone already blurted out the shock which occurs at the start of the show to me before I saw it (damnit!) but I didn't expect the direction the show took after that.

I too think it's too easy to figure that
Nate is still on the operating table. I think they are just illustrating the choices and alternate futures, mixed in with doses of reality present in the other arcs (David & Keith, Claire etc.). Now the question as to what is actually real is another question - maybe none of the arcs we saw?

The Schroedinger's Cat analogy is a very good one, Re: the coffin!

I'm still quite interested how it plays out.

With SFU switching to HD, I am so tempted - but along with subscribing to HBO (atm I just watch the show on tape the day after) I would have to invest in a new Dish 6000 receiver in addition to my current OTA one. I was assured the show looked great in HD with the 5.1. Damnit! :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
OK guys I'm lost here. I missed ALL of season 2. Where is Brenda? I saw her on Leno a week before season 3 started?

Who is Lisa?

Also, on my cable box, I have like 13 HBO's, and 3 HBO's that are HD. I'm assuming that to actually get those in HD I have to get them to send me the HD reciever? I didn't know you could recieve HD over the Cable lines...

All my regular HBOs are 301-316 or something, but 818-820 is labeled as HD-HBO.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
That's absolutely right, Glenn. I don't think you need to spoilerize it.

That IS Brenda (Rachel Griffiths) as the older mother, so it must be Nate Jr. being played by his dad and a heavily made up Peter Krause playing Nate and Brenda's son. I watched again tonight to confirm.

Also, anyone notice that the "deja vu" with Lisa is very serene, but somewhat reserved...but, when Nate "sees" himself with Brenda and child he smiles happily. I think this is the life he really wants...problems and all.

Lisa is (for now) the safe option. Having faced death, Nate is playing it safe and wasting his life. He even sold his chopper. Just wait until Brenda returns...

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Ok I'm not going to put season 2 stuff in spoilers, but here is fair warning!

Steve:

In last seasons's finale, we saw Brenda pack up all her things in her car and take off (for all we know, it's for good). There is a lot of backstory to this, but you really should watch season 2 and find out.

As for Lisa, she is Nate's old roommate (whom he was 'casually' involved with from time to time) that ended up getting pregnant as a result of a one-night-stand when Nate went up to Seattle.

Again I strongly suggest you get hold of some season 2 episodes or try and catch the re-runs (whenever they occur) before getting too deep into season 3.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was assured the show looked great in HD with the 5.1.
It did, but the most important thing is to watch a letterboxed broadcast. I noticed last night that some of the rebroadcasts (notably on HBO2) are done in 4:3, and it's painfully obvious that season 3 is being framed for the wider AR, so that a 4:3 version shows very noticeable cropping. For example, the exchange between Nate, Jr. and Nate, Sr. just before Jr. opens the coffin is a two-shot with the two Nates facing each other at opposite ends of the frame. In the 4:3 version, each of them is cut in half instead of being entirely in the shot.

M.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Instead of the traditional opening death sequence, the season three premiere of Six Feet Under, "Perfect Circles," begins with a series of alternate realities, a bunch of what-ifs for the life of Nathaniel Fisher, Jr.: What if Nate died in the brain surgery he faced at the end of last season? What if he survived, but had a stroke? What if he survived the surgery and married Lisa? What if he survived, but had married Brenda? What if his father, Nathaniel, Sr., had never died? What if Nathaniel, Sr. had married a different woman, and a totally different Nate had been born? And what if Nate were white trash? Alan Ball discusses the influence of physics on this dramatic sequence.
I don't think that was supposed to be a future Nate Jr., Brenda, and kids -- it was Nate Sr. with an alternate wife and kids. They didn't call the daughter "Maya" -- she had a different name I don't remember.

Ryan

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When I first saw that segment with Nate Sr. with a different wife and kids, I also thought it just an alternate reality without Nate Jr. (because if Nate Sr. didn't knock up Nate's mom Ruth, then most likely Nate Sr, would have married someone else - this bit of extrapolation was inspired by Ruth's revelation to the baby unbeknownst to Ruth that Nate Jr. was in the hallway). But then again, perhaps it was a glimpse into a really old Nate Jr. and his set of family.

Again, I really think Ball is taking us into the head of Nate Jr. (while on the operating table) for these few early episodes before coming back to "reality" for the Fishers. Just my hunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks