What's new

Is New York a Pit? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I have been told by many people that New York is a crummy and dirty place to live in. I personally have never been to New York but I have had interest in NYU. But with late-night monlogues being about the dangers of the subway and with the addition of Red Lobster in Times Square being able to "get crabs" like the good ol' days I'm getting nervous. Do you think that New York is a pit?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Dangers of the subway? Maybe really late at night, but they seemed pretty safe to me when I was there last May. My cousin has a pretty nice apartment around 122nd (give or take a few) and Broadway. I've always despised going to big cities; I don't like San Francisco very much, but NYC really feels safe and clean. I've only been there three times, and two of the times were after 9/11 (last May and December).

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Could you ask your 'many people' how long it has been since they have been there?

The reason I ask is that it was pretty bad, but about 3 or 5 mayors ago they started to clean it up. I'm sure the Big Apple-ites will chime in tomorrow on this.

Glenn

LewB

Screenwriter
I was just to the times square area for the first time in a long time and the change is amazing. It is very nice.
I remember when it truly was a pit. Whoda thunk that Disney would replace peep shows. It's a tribute to what can be done with some money and a strong willed mayor. Rudy G. was my hero before 9/11.
As for the subways etc, NYC is a big place with a lot of people, most are good some are bad. Your chances of meeting a bad one increase when you are out late at night and are confined in a subway car. I'm sure the same can be said of any other large city. NYC is where the world meets, you will most likely see things in NYC that you will not see anywhere else. As for Red Lobster, if you go to the city and decide to go to a chain restaurant, that's your problem. NYC is one of the best eating places in the world, you can have anything from 4 star French to a hot dog and anything else in between. There are more ethnic groups in NYC than anywhere else, the food selection is amazing.
You need to keep your wits about you in NYC, it's Darwin at work. Not everyone is cut out for NYC living, but if you want to be exposed to many new experiences, there is no place else like it.
Plus you are only a subway ride away from Yankee Stadium :D :D

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I think people that say that stuff about NY are the same ones that say that stuff about LA: Their perception of these cities is completely derived from TV and movies.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Their perception of these cities is completely derived from TV and movies.
That is absolutely true.

The only way to make up your mind is to come here and check it out for yourself.

Living here for the last 18 years, I can honestly tell you that New York is the cleanest it has ever been. Giuliani did an amazing job of making the city run smooth.

The subways are still the dumps, but not in terms of cleanliness, but rather in terms of service.

I do miss the charm of the old NY a bit ... the 80's grittiness :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I refer you to this thread by someone who just visited here for the first time. His impressions may interest you:

Going to New York City! What to do??

If you do a little research, you'll find that the crime rate in New York City is below that of most major American cities.

M.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, thanks to the movies and media, we have many Japanese guests, especially in music who are frightened to come to any convention in America because they think they're going to get shot

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
It seem like a whole bunch of movies from the '80s have given rise to the NYC myth. I just saw an old Jackie Chan movie "The Protector" (1985?) where the initial scene which takes place in NY looks like something out of Mad Max, sheesh! I've been going to Manhatten/Queens for some 20 years or so and it certainly isn't as bad as the movies tend to portray it. Same applies to most states too, not just NY.

I feel safe walking around NYC anytime of the day and most places at night. I haven't been to Manhatten in a long time, but not because I don't feel safe, it's just easier not to have to deal with traffic, tolls and parking when I can get most of the stuff here in NJ. Except this friday, heading into Chinatown for the Lunar New Year celebrations this weekend.. Year of the sheep! Of course, without the fireworks, it'll never be the same :frowning:

Jay

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It started back in the late 60s and 70s, when New York City truly fell upon hard times. If you look at the location shots in something like The French Connection, Serpico, The Warriors, Taxi Driver or Eyes of Laura Mars, you can see the general deterioration.

The 80s saw a lot of recovery in the physical apparatus (it's when the subways started to improve), but a new wave of crime associated with the crack epidemic. By the mid-90s, Times Square had been cleaned up, the subways dramatically improved, and the crime rates were plunging.

That Red Lobster/crabs joke was one of Letterman's. His monologues rely on an image of Times Square that's almost 10 years out of date. For most of the country, it's humor. For New Yorkers, it's almost nostalgia.

M.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
NYC's subway police force is almost the size of Toronto's police force (city at least) so actually, the subway has improved greatly from the 1980's as I remember it. NYC has its good and bad points. Where else can you get your hair cut at 2am? My advice is just to stay away from areas and situations that can get you into trouble.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Where else can you get your hair cut at 2am?
Vegas baby Vegas! :D

Kevin,

It really depends on your point of view. Every time that I have gone to New York it was pretty darn dirty but that is comparing it to a much smaller city. If you compare it to some of the larger cities like Chicago then its considerably cleaner IMO.

KyleS

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
NYC is great, but not cut out for everyone. Crime really isn't more of a problem than it is in any other big city.

As for the dirt factor, cities are dirtier than small towns on the whole. NYC is pretty clean, but you are going to encounter unpleasant sites and smells once in a while. I like to think of it as part of the charm. :p)

I think where people get worked up is the fact that NYC living is very different than living in other locations. Certain things are going to cost a lot more (like movers and real estate), which really bothers some people. And there is a NY attitude. It's not a bad attitude, but it's different than anywhere else.

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
Ive lived in NYC all my life (except for college years) and every time I visit some place else and try to imagine myself living there, I always think of what I wouldnt have access to by not living here

The best

- museums
- restaurants
- sites
- stores
- transportation (the subways may leave somthing to be desired , but its a great/quick/cheap way of getting around - even if its raised to $2.00 its still cheaper and takes you more places than most other systems)
- beaches (an hour away east and south)
- mountains (an hour away north and west)
- variety of people
etc.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I refer you to this thread by someone who just visited here for the first time. His impressions may interest you:
That would be me.

1. The city looked plenty clean to me. I didn't see garbage in the streets, rats, etc. It was very pleasant.

2. Safety, I went out late at night and wandered Times Square. I felt completely safe. Would have ventured all over the place and stayed out until the wee hours of the morning had it not been so darn cold. I didn't get the opportunity to ride the subway, as I was fairly busy, so I can't comment on that.

I wouldn't dare to call New York a "pit". I had an excellent experience and can't wait to go back. I'm not sure I could live there, but that has nothing to do with any problems New York might have and everything to do with the fact that I like my fenced in, grassed back yard and my $900 per month payment on a decent sized new home in a nice neighborhood. I've never lived in an apartment and never want to, so without being filthy rich, living in New York wouldn't suit me. But you can bet I'll be visiting again.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
New York having the best beaches?? Do you mean Atlantic city? That's very nice but not the best beach by far.

I love NYC, but only to visit. ;) I love driving my car around big open spaces and having the whole road to myself, something you forget about when staying there. The last time I did ride the city's subway I did see a couple of huge rats going through some trash on the rails, no joke, but still NYC's subway system is the most efficient in the world, can't argue with that.

Comparing DC and NYC the thing I really hate about DC is that the homeless have these complex methods to get money out of you, one even sang a song to our lady friend. I don't hate homeless people or anything but when you get hassled 3-4x a visit and they make you feel guilty if you don't give it's very annoying. In NYC people will pretty much leave you alone and let you go on your way.

The Broadway, Wallstreet, and generally upper Manhattan areas are very clean. Chinatown is another story.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Comparing DC and NYC the thing I really hate about DC is that the homeless have these complex methods to get money out of you, one even sang a song to our lady friend. I don't hate homeless people or anything but when you get hassled 3-4x a visit and they make you feel guilty if you don't give it's very annoying. In NYC people will pretty much leave you alone and let you go on your way
Well in NYC, the homeless people you mention are there, except they're doing their thing on the subway cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks