What's new

Criterion Press Release: Marriage Story (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
avYymycfbN3moGK5O5MLtGCZpcT5Tr_large.jpg

A love story about divorce. A marriage coming apart and a family coming together. Marriage Story is a hilarious and harrowing, sharply observed, and deeply compassionate film from the acclaimed writer-director Noah Baumbach. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson deliver tour-de-force performances as Charlie, a charismatic New York theater director wedded to his work, and Nicole, an actor who is ready to change her own life. Their hopes for an amicable divorce fade as they are drawn into a system that pits them against each other and forces them to redefine their relationship and their family. Featuring bravura, finely drawn supporting turns from Alan Alda, Ray Liotta, and Laura Dern—who won an Academy Award for her performance here—as the trio of lawyers who preside over the legal battle, Marriage Story (nominated for six Academy Awards, including best picture) is a work of both intimacy and scope that ultimately invokes hope amid the ruins.

FILM INFO
  • Noah Baumbach
  • United States
  • 137 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.66:1
  • English
  • Spine #1038
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital transfer, supervised by director Noah Baumbach, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with Baumbach
  • The Players, a new program featuring interviews with actors Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver, Laura Dern, Alan Alda, Julie Hagerty, and Ray Liotta
  • The Filmmakers, a new program about the production of the film, featuring interviews with Baumbach, editor Jennifer Lame, production designer Jade Healy, costume designer Mark Bridges, and producer David Heyman
  • The Making of “Marriage Story,” a new program featuring behind-the-scenes footage
  • New interviews with composer Randy Newman and Baumbach about the film’s score
  • New program featuring Baumbach walking the viewer through a key location from the film
  • Trailers
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: Notes on the film by novelist Linn Ullmann
Cover based on the original poster

July 21, 2020

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
might wait for a Criterion sale.

Nope. I broke dow and preordered. I'll pay $27.99 for this from Amazon. I'd switch it over if B&N has their sale next month, but I'm not particularly expecting it due to the virus and many of their stores being closed. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again. It's one of my favorite films from last year.

I know it's on Netflix, so I could just watch it there anytime, but I kind of want to wait for the disc to make its arrival more special. I am also really looking forward to going through the bonus features. I finally got Roma today, and if Criterion does even half as good a job on Marriage Story as they did on that, it's going to be a real treat.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I noticed that the Blu-ray of Marriage Story is currently #76 on Amazon's Movies and TV bestsellers chart, and that is with Amazon charging a higher price then Barnes & Noble on account of the latter's sale. Even the DVD version is #1,501, which, relative to the millions of products Amazon sells, is pretty high. So, clearly, there are a number of people who are buying this despite its concurrent and indefinite availability to stream on Netflix. I am one of those people, although I cancelled my Amazon order to do it with B&N because of their sale.

But that got me wondering: obviously, Netflix still owns the film because they paid for it. So, when I buy a disc of it, how much of that money goes back to Netflix? I assume they must have hammered out some kind of deal it out for Criterion to act as the physical media distributor for a fee, but I would just find it interesting to know what financial terms benefit Netflix here. It seems to be doing fairly well in pre-orders (of course relative to the state of physical media right now, but still.)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I loved this film but I don’t think I’ll buy this. If it shows up on iTunes for $9.99 or less I’ll purchase it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If it shows up on iTunes for $9.99 or less I’ll purchase it.

Does Netflix allow their films to be released for digital distribution elsewhere besides their service? I highly doubt they would have incentive to do that.

By licensing it to Criterion, they keep Baumbach happy because it gets a home media release, but they know it won't end up in a $5 bin at Wall-Mart because Criterions are upscale discs. That allows Netflix to retain a bit more exclusivity over it than they would if the discs were being issued by, say, Sony or Warner. People who just want to watch it once or twice will still subscribe to Netflix to get it, because that's cheaper than paying for a Criterion disc, while serious film collectors will be able to own it. For this reason, I suspect it will remain exclusive to Netflix in terms of streaming.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does Netflix allow their films to be released for digital distribution elsewhere besides their service? I highly doubt they would have incentive to do that.

By licensing it to Criterion, they keep Baumbach happy because it gets a home media release, but they know it won't end up in a $5 bin at Wall-Mart because Criterions are upscale discs. That allows Netflix to retain a bit more exclusivity over it than they would if the discs were being issued by, say, Sony or Warner. People who just want to watch it once or twice will still subscribe to Netflix to get it, because that's cheaper than paying for a Criterion disc, while serious film collectors will be able to own it. For this reason, I suspect it will remain exclusive to Netflix in terms of streaming.
Yeah. I know. I’ll probably buy it anyway. ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’ll probably buy it anyway. ;)

In that case, you don't need me to tell you that it falls under the B&N sale if pre-ordered now. ;)

For me, aside from being able to have access to the film that is not tied to maintaining a subscription, part of the appeal of buying this one is the extras, which as far as I know are exclusive to the Criterion release. I don't always look at extras for every film I buy, but I'm looking forward to diving into them for this one, because I loved it so much and I think it is beautifully crafted. So I'm very interested to see those, and I'm glad Criterion is doing it, because I know those will add substantial value to the disc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Someone who got an early copy posted photos of the packaging on Twitter. It's a digipack and includes a surprise.
There are what appear to be reproduction photocopies of the handwritten "What I love about Nicole" and "What I love about Charlie" essays. I wonder if those are actually in Driver and Johansson's handwriting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks