What's new

Is my reciever any good???? (1 Viewer)

jason123

Agent
I have a yamaha reciever that I purchased at best buy in 1998 for about $700. I am wondering if I should upgrade to a newer model. Currently this is a Doby DSP with pro logic.

If I go buy a newer model will I notice that much of a differene. I have my basedment prewired with for 5.1 surrond but I could increase to 6.1.

What brand should I go with DENON?

HELP

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Jason

A newer Dolby digital receiver will allow you to enjoy the 5.1 dedicated channels that are on DVD. A big improvement from the analog Dolby prologic that you have now.

Denon has a good solid reputation and a good sound.

Robert

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
There are a lot of Denon fans on this board but there are other brands you should also consider. I would also consider Sony ES, Harman Kardon, and Pioneer Elite, for example.

Mark

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

I guess a few questions are in order so proper advice can be dispensed:

1) Do you use your receiver for both movies and music?

2) If just movies, does your receiver decode both Dolby Digital and DTS formats?

3) If you listen to music, do you prefer multiple-channel music or 2-channel stereo?

If you watch just movies and have Dolby Digital and DTS processing formats, your current receiver is fine. If you listen to a lot of music and prefer multiple-channel listening, maybe a receiver that does Dolby Pro Logic II or IIx should be in order. Manufacturers such as Denon also have 5-channel stereo processing. Some like this feature, some don't.

If you can provide us with a bit more information via the questions I've provided, maybe we can direct you more towards the right receiver for you.

jason123

Agent
Thanks all for your help. Wayne here are your answers

1) Do you use your receiver for both movies and music?

85% of the use is movies (all DVD, I have a 53' Mitsubishi HDTV w/ tunner)

2) If just movies, does your receiver decode both Dolby Digital and DTS formats?

The reciever is Dolby Digital but not DTS it only says DSP.

3) If you listen to music, do you prefer multiple-channel music or 2-channel stereo?

I am open to both options, I have a cerwin vega towers. With a JBL center and JBL rears. I tried to sound match the speakers, and I bought JBL speakers (matching to the rear) but they did not sound as good as the towers. I also have a 350W JBL sub. Let me know if you need more detail. THANKS

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have person here at work that has a Denon 2??? pro-logic receiver with a Bose acoustimas cubes and sub. I explained to him that to really enjoy DVD 5.1 discrete channels is just incredible. I further explained to him that Denon has a receiver that's 340.00 and it will give him 6 discrete channels which includes a rear surround speaker. He was hung up with not changing yet. My point is if you are happy the keep what you have, but if you go for a new receiver and take the blue pill, we'll show you how far the rabbit hole goes.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Jason, since your old receiver doesn't decode DTS and doesn't feature Pro Logic II / IIx, it looks like an upgrade might be in order.

Yamaha has done some changes to their sound (from what I've read). If you like the Yamaha features, etc. - you might want to stick with them. The $340 Denon receiver sounds like the AVR-1803 or AVR-1804 receiver. It's a good receiver, but has a very poor remote. Then again, most factory remotes are poor.

If you can, see if you can't listen to some receivers at a local audio shop (besides Best Buy.) You'll be surprised by what is out there and the features that are now available in the price range of $350 - $800. Being that you keep your receiver for longer periods of time, maybe you'd want to invest a little more into it. The new Yamaha 1400 has a MSRP price of $799 - but the street price is $100 less (or more).

jason123

Agent
Thanks for all your help, I will definately upgrade my unit. I believe you can go to Ultimate and listen to different brands. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I feel it depends on what sources you have and what sources you might buy in the next 3 years? You need to ask yourself if your current reciever is HD ready? Can if pass a HD signal without degrading it? Does it have composit and component inputs and outputs? Do you want Prologic 2 and 6.1 surround processing?

Yamaha makes a nice peice for the money. Denon is a very nice peice as well especially in the processing. The top line of Denon is really sweet and is hard to beat. You can also look a Pioneer Elite that is really nice especially with its MCACC feature that automatically sets up the speaker tone, volume and eq curve. You might look at Sony ES but IMHO they are not up to snuff with the Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Sunfire, Rotel or Anthem. As sound is very subjective and need and features may lean you towards one brand over another. Look at as many brands as possible as you may like the Denon, Sunfire, Yamaha or you might like the Sony ES? Good Hunting :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks