What's new

Is my PC Optimized? (1 Viewer)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Justin R's(1st post)is on the money. I have a 40Gb ATA133 on my Primary master with an 8x ata 33 DVD drive as it's slave and my HD speed scores are on par with a 7200 rpm ATA 100 drive (both Sandra and HD tach). You will notice almost 0 real world difference between an ATA 100 and an ATA 133 drive as that is not where the bottleneck is. I wouldnt bother with the ATA 133 card (I haven't).
Def upgrade the OS drive to 7200 rpm because Burst speed (ATA) isn't the bottleneck there either.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Rob,
I don't want to hijack Jasen's thread, so I should probably open a separate one for this. However, to answer your question, yes, I did install drivers from the CD that came with the HD/controller. Had no choice, W2k was asking for drivers anyway :).
Unfortunately, I cannot see in device manager what mode the drive is running in (at? on?). The controller appears under "SCSI/Raid controllers" (or something to that effect) and the properties don't have any information on the HD or its operating mode.
-Christian

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Christian-
It's all related so I didn't feel hijacked. :)
So you see no benefit from using a separate controller card?

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
I am just not sure whether the performance I currently see with the additional controller is all that's possible in my old computer.

I should probably benchmark my other HD (UDMA33) on the board's controller to see what that gives me to get a comparison.

-Christian

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
About a month ago I got a Maxtor HD (80GB 7200 RPM ata133) with the 133 card. I have that as my main HD now. Only thing on my 2nd HD is mp3's. I haven't benchmarked it (what can I d/l to do that?) yet though, but it feels very very snappy. My 2nd hd isn't a slow one either though, 7200 rpm IBM 30GB ata100 drive. The 80GB Maxtor with the 133 card was cheaper than getting a 60GB ata100 7200 rpm drive with no card (seagate maybe?). Thats why I got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks