What's new

Is it worth buying a DVD player with HDMI output for a CRT projection TV (1 Viewer)

garyGASH

Auditioning
I'm going to be purchasing a big screen soon and it's probably going to be a Sony or Toshiba CRT both of which have HDMI inputs. I'm thinking about buying the new Sony DVD player with HDMI output after I get the TV but was wondering if it's worth the extra money for the HDMI output when a CRT by nature is still just an analog set. Pioneer has a new DVD player coming out that is $100 less than the Sony but doesn't have the HDMI output but it got a very good review in Perfect Vision magazine also. On a CRT set will the Component output give me just as good a pic as the HDMI output?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Most agree the component and HDMI PQ is about the same. With each sometimes looking slighty better than one another depending on the set

John S

Senior HTF Member
HDMI will be important in the future concerning HDCP.

I'd say yes, if for no other reason. The more HD inputs the better. Hate to run out of inputs when I need them, it is a PITA factor for me. But, alas, I don't have it either. Just component for HD, has worked out OK so far.

garyGASH

Auditioning
How is HDCP relative to HDMI? And is any of it important when I'm going to be using it on a CRT projection TV?

Also, if the TV only has one HDMI input and I need to have a set top box for HDTV plugged into it, won't the HDMI DVD player be useless anyway? I would love to be able to use both but I don't want to spend the extra money if I won't be able to hook them both up anyway.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Only digital connections can Pass HDCP period.

Better to have one than none at all. As I said, I post this, but I only have component video, it has been a non factor so far. But as I also said for the future, it will most like be important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks