What's new

Is it silly? (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I recently asked a question about how to make my DVD collection digital.

I purchased all Dallas seasons and specials For classic and the 2012 series on DVD.

How ever , I have also purchased Dallas digitally through I tunes. As well as Cobra Kai dvd and through I tunes.

Do y’all think I’m wrong to do that?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No. If the price is reasonable, it's likely much easier to buy the digital versions from a retailer than to put the time and effort into ripping the DVD's to digital files yourself.

It's no different than what many of us have done over the years in re-buying the same films in different formats. First on VHS, then Laserdisc, then DVD, then Blu-Ray, then 4K and/or digital.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s not silly to want to create a digital collection yourself, but it’s a high effort, high maintenance project. For most people most of the time, buying digitally on iTunes is cheaper and easier.

If you do it yourself, you end up needing to have a computer that can act as a server and be on all the time. You have to spend money on hard drives to store everything. And then, since hard drives can fail over time, you either need to have a second set of hard drives to back everything up, or keep the discs handy to rip again should the drive fail. For some people, it can be worth doing that even with the costs and time it takes. I’ve been working on it for more than a year and it’s taken a tremendous amount of time and more than a little bit of money to make it all happen.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I recently asked a question about how to make my DVD collection digital.

I purchased all Dallas seasons and specials For classic and the 2012 series on DVD.

How ever , I have also purchased Dallas digitally through I tunes. As well as Cobra Kai dvd and through I tunes.

Do y’all think I’m wrong to do that?
Not silly at all. I have a bunch of movies on both DVD and BluRay. This is our hobby, so
enjoy.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It’s not silly to want to create a digital collection yourself, but it’s a high effort, high maintenance project. For most people most of the time, buying digitally on iTunes is cheaper and easier.

If you do it yourself, you end up needing to have a computer that can act as a server and be on all the time. You have to spend money on hard drives to store everything. And then, since hard drives can fail over time, you either need to have a second set of hard drives to back everything up, or keep the discs handy to rip again should the drive fail. For some people, it can be worth doing that even with the costs and time it takes. I’ve been working on it for more than a year and it’s taken a tremendous amount of time and more than a little bit of money to make it all happen.

I can attest to this.

Since the beginning of this year, I have spent more $$$ on computer hard drives than on actual dvd/bluray discs.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have hundreds of my movies ripped to HDD's. I also have hundreds I watch less frequently which I haven't ripped. When I entered the 4K realm, however, I knew my ripping days were over. It's just too tall of an order to properly rip a 4K title. Still, for my most watched catalog titles, I love the convenience of just calling them up in Kodi or Media Center without having to track down their physical media counterpart.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have bought streaming versions of shows I have on DVD, when it's a show I especially like and the streaming version is HD.

In more recent years, several shows that started out available on BR had their last few seasons released only on DVD. If/when they came available streaming in HD, I've bought those seasons again so I can get the entire show in HD. Then there are shows like Blue Bloods which were only ever released on DVD, even though their entire run was well in the HD era. I like the show enough that when it's done and I can get the entire series in HD streaming for a decent price, I'll probably do it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks