What's new

Is it pronounced "Sue" or "Shoe"? (1 Viewer)

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Since I'm planning on getting a Hsu Research VTF-2 sub, I was wondering is the good Dr's name pronounced "Sue" or "Shoe"? AV123.com says it's "Shoe" while Bluewhaleaudio.com insists that "Sue" is correct. Please enlighten me!!

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
Believe it or not, the correct pronounciation of this Chinese surname is "SHE".

However, many many people mistakenly pronounce it as "SHU", so what can you do?

Walt N

Second Unit
I asked that question when I talked to them on the phone recently.

Me-- "....Shoe or Sue?"
Them-- "It's pronounced like "Sue".

Walt N

Second Unit
I don't doubt that Roger, but for whatever reason they're calling themselves "Sue" Research. Call 'em up and you'll see they even answer the phone that way.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Funny, I never even thought about pronouncing the word out - I've always said "H-S-U". Just like when I say "S-V-S".

Aaron

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
IT'S PRONOUNCED "SOO" or "SUE" DAMMIT!
:)
I have absolutely no affiliation with them, although that would be nice. ^_^

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I've read the threads that say "Sue" is the correct way to say it, but in reality I'm still like Aaron saying H-S-U.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
oops...thought they had it on their site at one time that it was *shoe* guess we (av123) were wrong :b

Sean

Ray M Y

Auditioning
For those non-chinese speaking people, it's pronounced "sue", like what Joe Hsu said (I think he would know!). If you want to say the last name in Mandarin though, the word's consonant and the vowel sounds do not exist in the english language. The "s" sound is actually in between "s" and "sh". To make the "ue" sound, say the "ee" sound but reshape your lips to make a "oo" sound without changing the position of your tongue. That's the best explanation I can give.
Then there's the element of tones... but I won't get into that one. :D

Winston_T

Agent
What Aaron said?! Don't you mean what I said? Oh... wait. We posted at the SAME TIME! LOL
Winston T-S-A-N-G... don't even get me started on trying to teach people how to pronounce my last name. :D

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Funny, I never even thought about pronouncing the word out - I've always said "H-S-U". Just like when I say "S-V-S"."
Me too..
:D

ling_w

Second Unit
If the comrads back in mainland had it their way, iwould be Xu. And Tsang would be Zhang.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Actually, every time I see that HSU on the HTF forum I say A-CH-ES-YOU or in other words, I just sound out the letters HSU in my head. Just like SVS or any other initials. I never thought it was a word.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks