What's new

Is it possible to create a home network using my apartment's T1 connection? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
There is only one access point, which is located in the living room. I would like to network 2 additional computers (My bedroom desktop PC and my Laptop PC) wirelessly.

I have researched wireless routers and would like to go with the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router, that is, if it will work for me.

From what research I have done, it looks like every single router out there supports only Cable and DSL. Nobody mentions T1 whatsoever. I thought I might try the "daisy chain" method (using the UPLINK port on the router) and was hoping that this would work for me.

I read on another forum that the thing for me to buy would be a Wireless Access Point (WAP) to allow networking on a T1 line.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions....I planned on buying whatever I needed here this afternoon.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
If you're looking to go wireless, go with the WAP. The one I use works with any broadband connection (Cable, DSL, T1 etc) or even dial-up.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Michael*K

Do you mind telling me which one you use (brand/model#)?

Should I go with a WAP only device? Or is it ok to get a combined (Router/WAP) device?

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
You connect to your buildings T1 line via a RJ45 port correct?

If yes then from your wall to a Wireless Router's WAN port connect the two with a standard network patch cord.

A Wireless Router is a router and a WAP. The router part will block off your network from your building network which is what you really should have and the price is not that much more. The router part is often refered to as a hardware firewall!

Most wireless routers also have 4 hard wired ports or switch that you can use for a computer that is close to the router.

In the routers settings you can assign you WAN (outside)IP Address manually if you know what it is or you can set it to obtain it from the DHCP server. (there prob. is a DHCP sercver running in your building)

Then of course you will want to lock down your wireless setting unless you want to share it with the world :D

Linksys or netgear would be my first two choices then D-Link... but any should do the job just fine.

Hope that helps

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I would go G if you have other devices in your house that use the 2.4 Ghz such as a cordless phone then A might be worth it.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks