What's new

Is it me or is everyone a filmmaker now? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
Learning anything from scratch is the way to get good at something, develop skill, and cultivate talent.
I am a Aircraft painter/car painter by trade and working on short films as a hobby.
I learned to paint aircraft by starting at the bottom with the worst parts of the job and worked up and got better.
Now 12 years later I consider myself as the best I've ever been around. The process is all in prep work, painting is easy. The best finished jobs contain the best groundwork already done underneath the paint.
The first stuff I've filmed sucked but when you can learn and get better and better then you can acheive something to be proud of.
Not to mention the feeling of accomplishment that goes with a production. The screenwriting is the hardest part I find. To write something that isn't cliche and fresh is the real challenge to me, getting that to film is the easier part of the process to me.
Someday if I think I have something worth showing someone I might post it on a site somewhere!
But you are all very encouraging and this is a pretty inspirational thread whether you all realize it or now! Thanks! :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No they can't. Many people can try for a lifetime, but will never be very good. I think that probably illustrates my point.
To quote George Burns: "I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate." If a terrible artist is having the time of his or her life making their art, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, I'd say the world is better off for it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That's fine, but you make it sound like you are disagreeing with me. The statement I was originally responding to said someone would become good at filmmaking simply by doing it for long enough. If you're happy being bad at something you enjoy, that is fine. The critical issue is that you accept you aren't very good at it.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Adam -
I agree with what your saying but I am referring to things on a more basic level. One could say that even LOST IN SPACE had competant editing, sound design, and acting. As a whole the movie wasn't great, but technically speaking, I don't think anybody should be embarassed that worked on it. I've seen video shorts that personally I wouldn't show to anybody beyond family and friends yet they manage to be entered in competitions and winning.

Matt

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
What's happening today with movies and digital video is similar to what happened with writing when word processors became common.

It's isn't any easier to write well, but it's a lot easier to write badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks