What's new

Is it just me? Or is bi-wiring not so good for me? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I recently purchased an extra set of speaker wires for my front speakers, along with some banana plugs. I have hooked them all up bi-wired. Maybe its just me, but I think maybe the bass is not as good as it was before I bi-wired and switched to banana plugs. I might try it non-bi-wired and compare. It could be just me, as my subwoofer doesn't sound so good in my room lately either. Maybe it's the receiver somehow?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I don't know why you would perceive your subwoofer and/or receiver to suddenly not be performing adequately, unless you are getting the upgrade bug, something isn't set right, or something isn't functioning properly. As for biwiring, I tried it with Energy e:XL 25 floorstanders in my second stereo system using Monster MCX-IS biwire cables, and was disappointed with the results. I had been using a single run of Monster XP wire with Radio Shack Gold Series banana plugs prior to biwiring. The sound upon biwiring was definitely different, but I didn't like what I was hearing. The bass was boomy and overbearing, and the vocals seemed to lack focus. Hard to explain, but I just didn't like the sound. So, I returned the cables and am back to the cheap Monster XP wire. I know this wire isn't great, but I definitely like the sound with it better than with the biwire cables I had. I tried to convince myself that the Monster biwire cables had to be better than the XP wire, but I just couldn't like the Energys biwired. Either the Energys don't work well biwired or I should look at better biwire cables. The Monster MCX-IS biwire cables certainly aren't top-drawer. A ten-foot pair with Monster Lock banana plugs is only $127.50 USD, which is cheap as biwire cables go. So, I'm sure there are better biwire cables out there.

I also biwired Totem Arro floorstanders in my main stereo system using the same Monster MCX-IS biwire cables, and while I think the Totems responded much better than the Energys to biwiring, I still wasn't happy with the sound overall. I am now using a straight pair of BetterCables Premium cables with Vampire banana plugs on the Totems and am very pleased with the sound. The reason I did not buy a biwire pair of cables from BetterCables is that I hope to biamp with the Totems at some point.

In any event, I wouldn't necessarily give up on biwiring. Maybe you just didn't have the right cables. I may biwire the Energys again down the road (possibly with BetterCables Premium cables), but that's not a top priority since these speakers are in my second system.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, as long as the speaker wire you were using before you bi wired was of adaquate guage (14G or better) then I dont know why the bass would sound worse. It really should sound the same as it did before you bi wired since at that point you were not taxing the 14G (or better) beyond it's capabilities. Keep in mind when you are doing your evaluations that our hearing not static. What you hear from your speakers can sound different to you if you are tired, not tired, happy, sad, had a beer, are pissed off at your boss etc etc. You get what I am trying to say. IMHO, YMMV yadda yadda. Enjoy the music.

Nick

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Lots of people think bi-wiring doesn't do anything, or if it does anything, it's probably not good. I'm one of them. If you like the sound of the single wire stick with it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, it won't be hard for me to do a comparison. I'll just un-hook the second set of wires, (making sure not short them out!) and I'll sneak the straps back in there and do some listening and comparing. I'm not really sure what it could be, really. I'll have to do some more listening.

Marc H

Second Unit
Chris-

Any chance you might reversed polarity on the bass input of one of the speakers by mistake? That would do what you were describing. Could mess up the sub too if the speaker's woofer was moving out when the sub's woofer was moving in (out of phase with each other).

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I think I am goig to take your advice Phillip. I really like the way my speakers sound single wire. I was going to go out and spend a ton of money on biwire cables, but if it is not going to do much for me and I like the sound now, whats the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks